Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:14 PM

142 posts, read 520,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2005 View Post
What sort of jobs do you or your spouses have at Fidelity? I would love to move back to Raleigh Durham and I work in the industry but I can't figure out what type of jobs Fidelity is transferring there. Are they all IT?
my husband is a project manager in the 529 investment segment. That division is not being transferred, but he's putting in for a transfer so that we can move down there. He'll have to switch divisions to get down there. Go on www.fidelity.com and do a career search and specify NC. See what's out there and maybe you'll find something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 48,499 times
I am planning on going too! But my house is still on the market - can't move until it moves!

Old 04-30-2007, 11:44 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
What is the attraction to N. Carolina? Is it that prices are much lower? I was under the impression that the schools are over crowded. Why do you all dislike Ma.?

Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
Cheap housing and good weather. That's it. I visit relatives in Raleigh once in a while and boy was it mind-numbingly dull. The museums were lacking, the zoo requires hours of driving, the parks were boring, mountains too far, ocean even further. However, western NC near Asheville seems quite nice. For some people living in suburban sprawl with McMansions is their idea of "making it" at least until it becomes too crowded then they will move on to the next hot destination.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:29 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
What is the attraction to N. Carolina? Is it that prices are much lower? I was under the impression that the schools are over crowded. Why do you all dislike Ma.?
Lower, not that much lower. Pay lower, but decent. Not like FL wages. Nice climate. I am looking at Orange and Johnston counties -- not Wake County schools.

Dislike MA? Sick of it. I have lived here for over 30 years. My husband is from CT. We live near Worcester in a fixer upper. If my husband doesn't get a job in the Triangle he'll end up having to deal with the commute to Boston or Cambridge again.

BTW, I saw your post about Marblehead. I love Marblehead. I used to live in Swampscott Once we had kids our tiny little two bedroom didn't work for us anymore.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 PM

142 posts, read 520,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
Cheap housing and good weather. That's it. I visit relatives in Raleigh once in a while and boy was it mind-numbingly dull. The museums were lacking, the zoo requires hours of driving, the parks were boring, mountains too far, ocean even further. However, western NC near Asheville seems quite nice. For some people living in suburban sprawl with McMansions is their idea of "making it" at least until it becomes too crowded then they will move on to the next hot destination.
wow, while that may apply to some people, it doesn't apply to me. Yes, it is important to us to have a nice house but that is not the only reason. Housing prices and cost of living in MA is ridiculous. My husband would be transferring down at the same salary, which with the decreased cost of living, would end up equaling a 20% raise. There are more opportunities for my husband to advance in his career down there, which is very important to him. Also, we not only could get a nice house for us and our children, but we'd then be able to save money for our children's college education. If we waited to get into the house of our dreams here, all of our income would go to our mortgage and nothing to our savings/children's future. This will allow me to stay home with my children and enjoy the time when they are still little. It's not that we want to "make it", we want to provide the best home and future for our children. Up until the transfer came into the picture, I was unaware that NC was a "hot destination".

Old 04-30-2007, 01:13 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
Boring is OK I live in Blackstone Valley now and it's B-O-R-I-N-G. No offence to those that think it's exciting.

Chapel Hill is not boring. I wish it was closer to the ocean. But you can't have everything. Asheville and the beaches near Wilmington are nice. But the IT jobs are not there.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:50 PM

52 posts, read 229,918 times
Default Nc

NC is a magical place and has been experiencing the most growth of any state in the country. check out the NC message board on here and you'll see how much inflow that state has. I think MA people are the only ones who haven't discovered it yet b/c most are afraid of anything not in CA or the northeast.

Cheaper (but less and less so) housing, great weather, friendly people and lots of transplants, natural beauty, AND you've got the beach and the mountains within a short drive.

Last edited by im2005; 04-30-2007 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-30-2007, 06:11 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2005 View Post
NC is a magical place and has been experiencing the most growth of any state in the country. check out the NC message board on here and you'll see how much inflow that state has. I think MA people are the only ones who haven't discovered it yet b/c most are afraid of anything not in CA or the northeast.

Cheaper (but less and less so) housing, great weather, friendly people and lots of transplants, natural beauty, AND you've got the beach and the mountains within a short drive.
I was led to believe that the summers were awful with horrid humidity and heat. To me that is not great weather, California is great weather. How far a drive from where you are are the beaches? What part of N.C. are you from by the way? If we were to move there, where would we live where the housing is affordable, the high schools are not over crowded and safe with high test scores within a short drive to the ocean (how long is a short drive) I am fifteen minutes to Malibu. That is a short drive.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:14 PM

52 posts, read 229,918 times
Default ok

it's humid in july and august for sure...CA has better weather but NC beats the northeast and other parts of the country by a long shot. the fall and spring in NC are glorious.

chapel hill is my favorite part and it has very good schools. the growth there has been more controlled than in other parts of the state (raleigh, charlotte, etc.) there are lots of interesting people in chapel hill, funky restaurants and coffee shops, and beautiful old homes. NC is a very pretty place - lots of trees and greenery, and very hilly.

but i guess i should shut up before even more people move there! the housing values are already skyrocketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts