Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 15,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
You forgot to mention how short a drive it is to a beach? We lived in N. Va. and felt very landlocked not being closer than 3 hr. to a beach.
Atlantic Beach is about 45 min - 1hr away but I prefer Topsil which is at least 1 hr away. Oh by the way parking is free. I come from Cape Cod and it cost an arm and a leg to park at public beaches and they are crowded not here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 07:21 PM

52 posts, read 229,428 times
Quote:
Guess it all depends what is most important. I have lived in Southern California and haven't really been to the beach since the 80's. Love not knowing what the weather will be from day to day in Ma. I know it sounds strange if you are from NE but I am sick of the constant sun here in Ca. and don't want to wear shorts and flip flops most of th year. I love cool weather after experiencing 100 degree summers for 40 years! To each his own is right.
I'm confused! You just declared that you couldn't possibly live farther than a few hours from the beach, and now you're staying that you have been since the '80s????

Old 05-02-2007, 10:46 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,161,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2005 View Post
I'm confused! You just declared that you couldn't possibly live farther than a few hours from the beach, and now you're staying that you have been since the '80s????
Meaning in a new location. I may not be a beach goer, but I like the ocean breezes and knowing that I am not stuck in the middle of a state. I would like to live near the ocean for cleaner air, less allergies, cooler weather, less snow and the option of going to the ocean if I want to. My son is 13 and obviously does not drive so living within walking distance to the ocean great for him, when we move. I live on the other side of the Santa Monica Mountains but it is about 20 minutes away and our nights are cool and almost always get a nice breeze except in the summer days. Hope that explains things

Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee in New Bern View Post
Atlantic Beach is about 45 min - 1hr away but I prefer Topsil which is at least 1 hr away. Oh by the way parking is free. I come from Cape Cod and it cost an arm and a leg to park at public beaches and they are crowded not here.
Where is Atlantic Beach?

Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,002,473 times
Default Atlantic Beach location

Quote:
Where is Atlantic Beach?
I just vacationed there in March (70 degrees while I was there). It's beautiful! Atlantic beach is near Morehead City and Beufort (have to drive over the bridge to the outer bank to get to it). It's near Pine Knoll Shores and Emerald Isle. Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
I just vacationed there in March (70 degrees while I was there). It's beautiful! Atlantic beach is near Morehead City and Beufort (have to drive over the bridge to the outer bank to get to it). It's near Pine Knoll Shores and Emerald Isle. Hope this helps.
You didn't mention the state but since the thread is about moving to N. Carolina, I'm guessing that's it.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,002,473 times
Atlantic Beach is in NC. Sorry. I thought you were responded to a comment on NC beaches. my bad.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,068,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2005 View Post
it's humid in july and august for sure...CA has better weather but NC beats the northeast and other parts of the country by a long shot. the fall and spring in NC are glorious.

chapel hill is my favorite part and it has very good schools. the growth there has been more controlled than in other parts of the state (raleigh, charlotte, etc.) there are lots of interesting people in chapel hill, funky restaurants and coffee shops, and beautiful old homes. NC is a very pretty place - lots of trees and greenery, and very hilly.

but i guess i should shut up before even more people move there! the housing values are already skyrocketing.

Sorry, but the word about NC has been out for years already. I am native to NC and still live here, and we have been experiencing a population boom for quite a few years now. East of the Mississippi, we are the most popular state to move to. I live in the Lake Norman area of NC, which is just north of Charlotte around cities named Huntersville, Mooresville, Denver, Cornelius, Davidson...all nearby lake communities.

The growth all around is phenomenal. Transplants outnumber natives here by far. There are more out of state tags (particulary NY and NJ) than anything else.

Sorry to be a naysayer, but if you want the truth, the infrastructure was hardly prepared for all this growth. And it keeps coming. Developers have free reign. Farmland, forests, all cleared for the big box stores. While I know growth is inevitable, its out of control. Many transplants are actually concerned about it too.

Most people that are moving to NC are moving only to certain areas, which really puts further strain on our roads and schools. Its either the Raleigh area and nearby places like Cary, or Charlotte and all its surrounding areas. The area is nice, but just be prepared for overdevelopment, rising costs, traffic, etc.

The weather is hardly "the best". We get all four seasons and much less snow (if any) in the winter, but it gets downright cold. We had temps in the 20s on Easter which unfortunately killed alot of peaches and crops. The summers are particualry hot and humid, and depending on your location in NC, you are on the look out for the next tropical system. We do not get the exteme cold and snow storms like you do, but we have trade offs, being severe storms and tornadoes in the spring and summer. Its not tornado alley, but they are possible.

Just look at the NC forum, it gets more activity than almost any other state forum combined.

Not trying to be a pessimist, but some people really need a reality check about NC. Many people have compared NC to becoming Florida in the next few years. I do not want my home state to turn into that. Take care of NC!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 AM

I truly appreciate your painting a realistic picture of your great state.
Are there any slow growth measures in your area to prevent over development? I sounds like it is heading toward being another North Virginia. Hope not.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,448,949 times
Quote:
I truly appreciate your painting a realistic picture of your great state.
Are there any slow growth measures in your area to prevent over development? I sounds like it is heading toward being another North Virginia. Hope not.
Slow growth? Not really. It varies greatly by county, and most counties don't plan ahead very well, nor do they understand the benefits of sprawl-controlling measures. I live in Wilmington, and we have no freeways. The need was established 15 years ago, people talked about it - But feet were dragged, and now we have a transportation nightmare. The highways are all packed with strip malls & fast food, so it takes you 30 minutes to cross town.

Controlled growth isn't something that the average person understands, and the developers have a strong, coordinated effort to encourage poor planning. I'd advise people to buy in older neighborhoods that were established before the boom, which few people seem to be doing. Good luck in y'all's moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts