Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLindsy View Post
I am planning to move to the New England area this coming summer. I currently live in the panhandle of Texas and have decided it is time for me to make the move I have always dreamed of. I am 28, a teacher and very passionate about our country's history - I will spend my weekends traveling to see all that I can. I am thinking of moving to New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts or Maine; I am very flexible! I want to live somewhere that still has the quaint feel of New England towns, but still close enough to travel to big cities on the weekends. I am also looking for somewhere that I can find people around my age - not overrun by college kids.

In order to prepare for the big move, I will be traveling through New England in the middle of October - I have always wanted to experience the foliage of New England. I will only have one or two days to spend in each state, so I am wondering where I should focus my time.

I spent 5 days in Boston this summer, so I would rather visit other cities. I think I would like Somerville, Newton and Brookline - what are opinions on these cities?

I am overwhelmed by all the choices and would love any input/help!
If you want to see foliage head up to New Hampshire, Vermont, or Western Massachusetts...you won't get the same foliage in the Boston area.

As far for towns...stay out of Boston if you don't want to deal with college students. If you want fairly rural/suburban towns on a budget, but yet close to most of the major urban areas look at the Central MA area and also many communties in Southern NH. Portland, ME as many have mentioned is a great place, but the winters can be brutal and it is quite far from many other urban type areas.

I would recommend around Nashua, NH. Good location, close to the mountains, cities, and also the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 10,582 times
Brent, I am certified to teach 4-12 Social Studies, 8-12 English/Language Arts and 4-12 English as a Second Language. I was looking to teach in some of the inner-city schools in Boston, since I have experience in that type of school and it seems like there are always positions...am I wrong??

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
Brent, I am certified to teach 4-12 Social Studies, 8-12 English/Language Arts and 4-12 English as a Second Language. I was looking to teach in some of the inner-city schools in Boston, since I have experience in that type of school and it seems like there are always positions...am I wrong??
I am no secondary education expert, but I will second comments by others that you'd better be sure and line up a job before moving. There is no shortage of universities and people with advanced degrees in this region and, hence, lots of folks with the credentials to teach.

As for places to see: Newburyport is worth a look, so is Plymouth on the South Shore. Newport, RI has tons of history, and Providence RI does too (though RI is having MAJOR budget/economy problems). Vermont and Maine can be beautiful and certainly historic, but are very rural in most places and often far from a big city. Southern NH has had a pretty robust economy in recent years though NH schools are notoriously underfunded (very reliant upon local revenues since state monies tend to be low due to the fact that there is no state income or sales tax in NH).

Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 PM

278 posts, read 703,273 times
Quote:

Thanks!
You could be correct. From what i've noticed, there seem to be more HS type positions open than elementary type. So you may find it easier than my wife, who is an elementary teacher did.

All the same, many districts made cuts over the last summer, and it is projected that there will need to be even more this coming summer to close projected budget gaps. Just something to think about.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times
Quote:
I am planning to move to the New England area this coming summer. I currently live in the panhandle of Texas and have decided it is time for me to make the move I have always dreamed of. I am 28, a teacher and very passionate about our country's history - I will spend my weekends traveling to see all that I can. I am thinking of moving to New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts or Maine; I am very flexible! I want to live somewhere that still has the quaint feel of New England towns, but still close enough to travel to big cities on the weekends. I am also looking for somewhere that I can find people around my age - not overrun by college kids.

In order to prepare for the big move, I will be traveling through New England in the middle of October - I have always wanted to experience the foliage of New England. I will only have one or two days to spend in each state, so I am wondering where I should focus my time.

I spent 5 days in Boston this summer, so I would rather visit other cities. I think I would like Somerville, Newton and Brookline - what are opinions on these cities?

I am overwhelmed by all the choices and would love any input/help!

Boston and the cape. I'm sure you'll enjoy the day and nightlife for both. Salem is pretty cool too, especially around now.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:28 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I can't see going to Nashua for a city visit. It's OK as one of the few urban spots in NH, but I wouldn't go there as part of a sight-seeing tour, not at all!
There is a bit of culture with music/arts and some restaurants in Nashua, if you were to live there for work. But for a vacationing visit, nah.
I again insist on Concord, MA, Newuryport, and if you can, Peterborough, NH. Still not clear if you're restricted to places that the bus tour stops.
Local weather reporters always do a "fall foliage" report, complete with maps, to follow the "peak color." It moves north to south, and changes depending on temperature and moisture. New England is big! and far from uniform in the leaf color. (Although it's hard to go wrong in October- glorious).
Best wishes on your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts