Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 PM

5 posts, read 10,576 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the New England area this coming summer. I currently live in the panhandle of Texas and have decided it is time for me to make the move I have always dreamed of. I am 28, a teacher and very passionate about our country's history - I will spend my weekends traveling to see all that I can. I am thinking of moving to New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts or Maine; I am very flexible! I want to live somewhere that still has the quaint feel of New England towns, but still close enough to travel to big cities on the weekends. I am also looking for somewhere that I can find people around my age - not overrun by college kids.

In order to prepare for the big move, I will be traveling through New England in the middle of October - I have always wanted to experience the foliage of New England. I will only have one or two days to spend in each state, so I am wondering where I should focus my time.

I spent 5 days in Boston this summer, so I would rather visit other cities. I think I would like Somerville, Newton and Brookline - what are opinions on these cities?

I am overwhelmed by all the choices and would love any input/help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:51 PM

89 posts, read 201,672 times
Portsmouth, NH and Portland, ME are great little cities to visit. I really liked my visit to Concord, MA last October as well as some the north shore towns of Mass. Marblehead, Beverly, Salem. Also Plymouth, MA of course! I really liked Yarmouth, ME. I drove around it today. I haven't been there but I have heard that Hanover, NH is great. Keep the thread updated on what you find, I am interested in finding the same kind of town that you are.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Yarmouth, huh? Never heard of it, but I will definitely look into it. I have also heard the same about Hanover, but that the winters are brutal!! I will keep it updated for sure; I'm very excited about my trip! MissLariss, where do you currently live?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:22 PM

89 posts, read 201,672 times
I currently live in Southern California but am visiting Portland Maine right now. I am leaving tomorrow. Sigh...

P.S. I have seen pictures of Keene, NH and it looks pretty cool and small townish. Also heard that Exeter NH is quaint and a small town.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:29 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
Portland is nice. I don't get up there nearly enough.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:44 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I lived in Portland, ME for 4 years. While it's a charming little city (and I mean LITTLE at 63,000 people), I couldn't take living there. To me it will always be a nice place to visit, but I couldn't imagine living there again.

Portsmouth NH is cool, and so are Salem, Cambridge, Newburyport, Gloucester, Northampton, Plymouth, etc in MA, Burlington VT and Newport RI. With the exception of Cambridge, the problem with the Portlands, Portsmouths, Salems, etc is that they are small and really have economies that are centered around tourism. Portland's number one industry is tourism, in fact, so there's a huge rift between locals and tourists. Many of these places are wonderful to visit, but can be tough to live in. Furthermore, these towns tend to be tricky in terms of the younger (28 is still young) single scene. Portland is popular for families due to the relative affordability and safety, but the singles scene was pretty miserable (trust me on that one). There was a small niche for professionals, but not to the degree that you would find in some place a bit larger with a more diverse economy.

I think you should consider Providence RI. Providence is a great "middle ground" type city for someone who may feel that Boston is too large and a place like Portland (and the other small cities which have the atmosphere of towns more than urban areas) is too small/ too touristy. It's also much cheaper than Boston. Providence has a bunch of universities and colleges with great graduate programs and lots of professionals and a diverse array of ages. Providence is 1 hour from Boston and 2.5 from New York City and there is rail service connecting it to those places. It's an excellent spot.

Another up and coming mid-size city to look at is New Haven, CT. It's at the periphery of metropolitan New York City which gives you excellent access to the greatest city in the U.S. It's also right along Long Island Sound which puts you right near some great beaches and historic seaside towns (Check out Mystic if you get a chance). New Haven is home to Yale and some other universities and has an excellent downtown area and tons of wonderful restaurants, clubs and other amenities. It's a very dynamic city and worth checking out.

You asked about Somerville, Newton and Brookline. Cool cities, for sure. The thing is that they are really very much part of Boston's urban fabric. If you weren't looking at signs, it would be hard to tell where Boston ended and Brookline began while driving on the streets there. Same for Cambridge and Somerville. Somerville, Newton and Brookline are excellent options to live if you want to be in the Boston area as they have some excellent neighborhoods and wonderful squares. However, aside from political boundaries, they are far from being independent. They are mostly urban (Somerville is one of the densest cities in the U.S.) and high-density suburban parts of Boston. Look at the land area of a city in Texas... say Dallas, for example. Dallas has a land area of 342 square miles. Boston's is 48 square miles. If Boston's city limits where pushed out to cover a similar land area as Dallas-- Somerville, Cambridge, Quincy, Newton, Brookline, etc would all be engulfed by the city limits. They are as equidistant from Downtown Boston as many neighborhoods within Dallas are from Downtown Dallas. You can get from Davis Square in Somerville to Downtown Boston if 5 quick subway stops . Brookline is already surrouded on 3 sides by Boston's city limits. Not trying to discourage you because they are great cities, but they are very much part of Boston's fabric.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:33 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Agree about Cambridge/Somerville/Brookline, and I've lived in all of them. I don't get from the OP if she/he is limited to bus stops? But I think Concord is a must, history and charm and all. Does the OP want to see towns for tourist interest or for possible living? Would need other info if the latter (distance to job, what kind of job, budget, etc.)
But if touristing... Peterborough, NH, is lovely. I think the book "Our Town" was about Peterborough. Or was it "Peyton Place?"
Newburyport for that old sea captain houses, antique houses everywhere and lovely downtown. Marblehead, seacoast, neat houses, walkable.
Best wishes on the trip and possible move!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
In Mass...Salem, Plymouth, Centerville in Cape Cod, Concord, and Lexington.

In NH...Conway, Laconia, Portsmouth.

Maine...Portland, Kennebunk, Bar Harbor

Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 PM

I am coming to visit in the fall to get an idea of where I would like to move in the summer. I am a teacher, single and can live very modestly if need be. My main priority is living somewhere new and experiencing all that I can. I am open to selling my car and relying on public transportation or living in a small town and keeping my car...really anything goes for me at this point. I will be looking for an apartment and can afford up to 1000-1100, if I sell my car.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM

278 posts, read 702,957 times
I see that you are a teacher.

What exactly do you teach? It's kind of slim pickings up here for teaching jobs, with all the budget cuts etc...

Depending on the particular position, most districts are cutting positions rather than adding new ones. Hell, finding a decent paying teaching job up here (again depending on the particular position) can be tough even in good economic times.

Just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts