Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 13,981 times

Advertisements

hi there
This is with request to a friend who is an indian citizen.She was visiting US during her 26th week of pregnancy and due to some complications cant leave the country now.And seems will have to deliver the baby in US.
She is on B1/B2 -tourist visa and her husband is in india at the moment.She is travelling with her travel insurance that doesnt cover maternity.Also she holds a valid F1(student visa) as she was an ex-student in this country.Is there a way to find her an insurance that can cover her entire maternity/delivery .Also an insurance for the kid who will be born incase he needs any treatment.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
Kelly,
I don't believe a community hospital can refuse emergency treatment for your friend. If they can't deny an Illegal Alien, they can't deny one here legally. We pay billions of dollars a year for treatment of uninsured people here legally and illegally. If the baby requires treatment, I doubt they'll kick him/her out of the hospital.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM

227 posts, read 608,152 times
I believe that its not a matter of finding a place to deliver... any hospita will and can do that, regardless of your status, but I think they are looking for a financial solution.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 PM

136 posts, read 462,720 times
Check in with the Indian Consulate. If I was abroad and laid up in a hospital, I'd want some representative of the US Govt to know. I agree with others that she'll get the basic care she and her baby needs...until they are asked to leave the hospital. In the meantime, are there any local Indian communities/organizations that you can reach out to on her behalf?

Old 09-23-2009, 02:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Interesting that on the Long Island forum in this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...insurance.html, although it started off as they were looking to "buy insurance," it was later clarified that the friend was PREFERABLY looking for THE US TAXPAYERS TO PAY FOR EVERYTHING:

can community hospitals be a free option? She doesnt have that kind of money to spend on delivery charges..I guess it would cost her around 12-15k .

she is travelling with travel insurance for $500,000 that covers maternity for death complications only...

she was here for shopping spree n get back after 10 days, but kinda had pre term spotting...n asked not to travel n is stuck..

Why in the world would you buy travel insurance when pregnant and only get the kind that covers for death complications? Especially if you can afford to fly off to far away continents to go on shopping sprees?

also her younger brother was a student in US and has worked during the graduating years around 4 years back,he has a social security and has been a tax-payer, can he get some help on her behalf?

I told them to try Canada. Tired of the US taxpayers getting stuck for everything, especially for people who are well off enough in their home country to jet off to different continents to go on shopping sprees.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingThinking View Post
I believe that its not a matter of finding a place to deliver... any hospita will and can do that, regardless of your status, but I think they are looking for a financial solution.
You're right.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Kelly,
I don't believe a community hospital can refuse emergency treatment for your friend. If they can't deny an Illegal Alien, they can't deny one here legally. We pay billions of dollars a year for treatment of uninsured people here legally and illegally. If the baby requires treatment, I doubt they'll kick him/her out of the hospital.
Key word is "emergency treatment." I know a doctor in NC that has done many operations on illegal aliens in an emergency situation ... such as a burst appendix. The illegal aliens will wait until the situation is far gone that they must be treated immediately and then go to the hospital, increasing the risk to themselves and making their operation harder and more dangerous. His practice is involved with a community hospital and anytime he is called in as a surgeon for someone who is illegal, etc., he actually has to do the operation for free as part of his practice. He doesn't get anything from the Federal government personally to make up for it like the hospitals do.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:13 PM

227 posts, read 608,152 times
I am not sure how it works in India, but I do know that one time my son needed to visit the emergency room while we were traveling, and we went to the closest one, which did not accept our insurance. We were able to send the documentation and bill to our insurance company after the fact, and be refunded. This was with us military insurance.

I would suggest calling a nearby hospital and explaining the situation to them, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:51 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Interesting that on the Long Island forum in this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...insurance.html, although it started off as they were looking to "buy insurance," it was later clarified that the friend was PREFERABLY looking for THE US TAXPAYERS TO PAY FOR EVERYTHING:

can community hospitals be a free option? She doesnt have that kind of money to spend on delivery charges..I guess it would cost her around 12-15k .

she is travelling with travel insurance for $500,000 that covers maternity for death complications only...

she was here for shopping spree n get back after 10 days, but kinda had pre term spotting...n asked not to travel n is stuck..

Why in the world would you buy travel insurance when pregnant and only get the kind that covers for death complications? Especially if you can afford to fly off to far away continents to go on shopping sprees?

also her younger brother was a student in US and has worked during the graduating years around 4 years back,he has a social security and has been a tax-payer, can he get some help on her behalf?

I told them to try Canada. Tired of the US taxpayers getting stuck for everything, especially for people who are well off enough in their home country to jet off to different continents to go on shopping sprees.
Thank you for pointing this out, I was not aware that this was cross-posted.
Based on the location of the OP, this thread will close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts