Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 11,340 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am moving to Worcester with my young family soon and am looking for recommendations on where it's safe to live that's near the downtown area. We're hoping to rent while we get acclimated to the area (and while we wait for our home to be sold). Any tips on safe apartments/areas or child care centers are highly appreciated. Also, if you have any tips on what schools are good (I've seen several posts that were not favorable), please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by intrigue1928; 09-28-2009 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add question about schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 AM

68 posts, read 554,109 times
Can't speak for child care, but as a general rule I'd stick with the West side of the city (01602).

Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,574 times
Anything around Salisbury Street/Park Ave is a nice/safe area. Don't get too close to WPI or you'll be dealing with a lot of college kids.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,574 times
Since no one has chimed in on daycares I will add that The Goddard School has a very good reputation, but I have no first hand knowledge of the center. I did look into centers at one point when we lived there 3 years ago. It is very expensive.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 AM

404 posts, read 1,196,639 times
I would call a realtor and look into short term easing on a home rather than an apartment. There are many nice homes in Worcester in the 01602, or 01605 near Indian Lake or the Holden Line which are available for rent. As for childcare, perhaps one of the best is the Shrewsbury Chidren's Center Shrewsbury Children's Center [Home] - Enrollment in Worcester schools is based on residence. Therefore, again, I would suggest working with a realtor who knows the schools. In spite of what most folks state, as a former employee I can say with certainty that there are some very good, and some not so good, schools in Worcester.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,694 times
We moved to Worcester this time last year. We have a five year old and both work at umass medical. We choose the west side. We chose near elm park. West of park ave is what most people said. but now that we live here other areas are nice too.
As far as daycare, we chose YWCA (Salem Square) because they have a program that was developed by umass research. It is a cool child development program called second step (that's what they call it anyway.
Good luck finding a place! We were not impressed with the area around the medical campuses, but once we found the west side we fell in love with the city. We are from the south and so far the snow has not been a problem at all! They plow the streets before you get up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts