Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 AM

91 posts, read 280,252 times

Advertisements

I have said before how much I love Quincy.....and I love my job in Woods Hole.

Is it insane to think that I could handle a commute from Quincy to Woods Hole?

Currently I live on Cape and I drive 45 mins - 1 hour to my job.

I'm thinking my drive from Quincy isn't going to be that much worse. Plus it's opposite traffic....

My plan is to move next summer to Quincy - probably June, so that my son can finish his first year of Kindy here on the Cape.

Does anyone have a long commute with kidlets?

Thanks!
Darinsmom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:45 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
It's against traffic for the most part, though that may get messed up on some mornings at vacation time or 3 day weekends, etc. But I think it's more like an hour and half even without traffic.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:54 AM

136 posts, read 462,589 times
Wow. Any chance that you could learn to love Plymouth instead?

I've only ever done my commutes by public transportation (or short drive to public transportation) and they seem long enough even without driving all the way. As a parent, I will say that it can be nervewracking to have to deal with daycare, school, illness, accident issues and be so far away at work. I sometimes wish I had a car commute so I could just dash home instead of waiting for the next train - but I also like knowing that the car bypasses all the traffic and has less issues with bad weather, etc. compared to driving.

Last thought: the lane drop on Rt 3 south when you cross in to Hingham is a traffic nightmare...it's often backed up at the oddest of times and could be an unpleasant surprise on your way to work.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:55 PM

376 posts, read 1,809,080 times
I have family that still live on Cape Cod as I used to and also off-Cape. The off cape family has complained all summer about the bridge work in Sagamore (and they use the Bourne Bridge to get to Falmouth!) delaying traffic -- not supposed to be finished until some time next year I hear (I could be wrong, not paying that close attention) I used to commute to Boston from Mashpee. It was not fun. Inclement weather made it worse. Long weekends made it worse. I'm not saying don't do it, but think really hard about doing it.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,166 times
The Sagamore Bridge nightmare is just that. Regardless, you still have to travel south on 3, across Sandwich Rd or Scenic Highway, deal with Bourne Bridge traffic (either side, no difference), then down 28 to Woods Hole.
Going home in the afternoon is not much better. Traffic backs up on 28N trying to get to the Bourne Bridge rotary, then down Sandwich Rd and/or Scenic Hwy.
Either bridge is going to hold you up, even in the off-season.
You can take a back road from Falmouth to the Bourne Bridge, but you still have to deal with the traffic from that point. Once over one of the bridges, there are alternate routes that will probably take as much time as sitting in traffic.
Word was this morning that traffic approaching the Sagamore Bridge from the north was backed up over a mile at 8:00 am. Pretty much "post season" and a cruddy weekend forecast, so you know it's not a lot of tourist traffic.
Not my idea of a good time.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimenow View Post
I have family that still live on Cape Cod as I used to and also off-Cape. The off cape family has complained all summer about the bridge work in Sagamore (and they use the Bourne Bridge to get to Falmouth!) delaying traffic -- not supposed to be finished until some time next year I hear (I could be wrong, not paying that close attention) I used to commute to Boston from Mashpee. It was not fun. Inclement weather made it worse. Long weekends made it worse. I'm not saying don't do it, but think really hard about doing it.
I don't know how they could have complained about it all summer. The work just started a few weeks ago. Traffic in the summer on or off Cape just sucks. No matter how you slice it. If you live here, you have to plan your time to drive off Cape and ditto the return so it goes against the flow of the tourists. Makes it real special at times. lol

Old 10-04-2009, 02:31 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Why is Quincy so important?
Also, if you're working so far from where you live and where the kid(s) go to school, wouldn't that present a problem every time there's a school activity, you need to pick the kid up, or do anything where they go to school versus where you work.
If I worked five days a week, I'd live near where I work. (Actually I do, no kids). Is there anything wrong with Woods Hole and that area for living? In-laws in Quincy for after-school caretaking?
That's a drive I sure wouldn't want to plan on every day.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 PM

30 posts, read 130,379 times
I know you love Quincy (I don't know why lol) but life is too short to live somewhere you don't like. I think if you are commuting 45 min. now what is an hour commute from Quincy to Woods Hole? I personally wouldn't want to do it but you are dealing with one heck of a commute anyway. Would you think of putting your son in a private school near where you work to make life easier on yourself? You could take him with you in the AM and if he is sick or on vacation days he could go to work with you? Just a thought. Good luck moving. I think you should go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts