Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 AM

10 posts, read 162,647 times

Advertisements

What is the Town of Lincoln like? I visited a property with my buyer agent at Battle Road Farm condo complex in North Lincoln this week and really liked it. I am interested in retaining the maximum resale value of the property, and also a decent school district, safe community. I know the average house price in Lincoln is roughly 1.1 million so it's a very affluent town, but the complex we looked at was initially designed for low income/mix income households that the town of Lincoln put together back in the early 90s. So will that potentially affect the resale value of the condo? Also will that also bring some social problem to this neighborhood?

Another slight concern is about Hanscom Air Force Base, it's literally right next to the complex. The runway is about 1500 feet away from the bedroom window. We talked to the neighbors and they told us they could certainly hear it, but the noise doesn't bother them much. But this is still a high concern for me and I think it certainly impacts the resale value of this home. Could someone maybe shed some lights on this? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 09:33 PM

270 posts, read 1,356,241 times
My house hunt was in 2007 and I remember Lincoln as unaffordable for us. We would have loved to live there but it was too expensive. Very good schools, very exclusive little town, very New England-ish. I don't know about your specific complex but I don't think you need to worry about social or criminal issues in Lincoln.
Now the runway is another story. I would not buy a house/condo so close to a major infrastructure project like a big street, train tracks or train station, high voltage power lines or commercially zoned neighborhood. Now an airport has almost all of these in addition to the noise. And even if the runway is not used very much right now airbase operations could be increased in the future and it could really impact your lifestyle and the re-sale of your home. I don't think Hanscom is facing base closure in the near or far future. I know you probably wanted to hear that it is not such a big deal if you really like the condo. But my personal opinion is that it is an absolute no-no. I am sure a lot of others feel the same. I'd say keep looking.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 AM

967 posts, read 4,773,410 times
I agree with haberstroh. Location is everything when it comes to real estate. You may at some point get used to the noise (although that is highly questionable) but the noise & proximity to the base & its unknowns certainly will turn off buyers when you go to sell.

It reminds me of that Blues Brothers line:

Jake: "How often does the train go by?"

Elwood: "So often you don't even notice".

Old 02-28-2010, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 6,681 times
I have actually lived in the BRF condominium complex for a few years and can provide some hopefully helpful information. Lincoln is a small, affluent, quiet and very safe town. The town has a lot of conservation land, and there is very little room for development. This is likely part of the reason why homes hold their value so well (low supply and high demand), in addition to reasons such as the top-rated schools and close proximity to the city.

The complex has a small percentage of mixed income housing. The idea behind this was to provide housing opportunities to first-time homebuyers, people who grew up in Lincoln, and people who work in Lincoln, since many of these people would otherwise have been unable to afford to live in the town. There is a lottery in place to determine unit ownership. The values of these homes do not affect the values of the other units.

Lastly, we have never been bothered by the airplane noise from Hanscom. I have a small child who naps during the day and has never noticed the noise! It was not an issue for us when we bought our unit and continues to not be an issue.

There are so few homes/condos available in Lincoln under $500K, that it makes BRF a very desirable place to live. Historically, the units in this complex retain their value very well. Hope this helps!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM

10 posts, read 37,092 times
Hello,

I am a resident here at BRF. After living in Concord Center for many years I find theairport noice here to be a fraction of most of the areas around here. We are not at the beginning (North Lexington / BEdford) of the runway for landing or at the end (Concord/ BEdford) for take offs. We are astride it and at the eye fo the hurricane- too close for circular patterns. In short no loarge aircraft ever overhead. This is a great area and the best palce around to raise children.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 30,572 times
I agree about the airplane noise. You really don't notice. My parents live at the very end of the Concord side of the runway and the only time you really notice is during the annual air show (which can sound like World War III).

Now, a caveat here is that, for years, they have been trying to bring civilian airlines into the civil part of Hanscom to make it a small regional airport for Boston. That would increase noise a bunch, but, so far, they've managed to prevent this (they being the current residents of the area).

As for the Lincoln schools, my friend who was Lincoln-Sudbury high class of '95 was annoyed when "only" 14 of his classmates went to Ivy League schools. I think you'll be ok.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:21 AM

18,647 posts, read 33,216,650 times
"Low-income and mixed- in Lincoln" has no relation to the reality of income elsewhere. It might mean that a single person who makes as low as, say, $60K is low income. Same for middle/mixed. It's not like people from the welfare rolls are moving there. The "affordable" housing designation comes from a state requirement that some 10 percent of housing be considered "affordable," meaning some kind of equation with the average income in the area, etc. It has nothing to do with genuinely low income or poor people.
Don't know much about Hanscom and its noise, but would listen to the people who have posted about it.
That said, I think Lincoln is a marvelous place to live if you can find a place to buy that works for you. Great location, gorgeous town, very well-considered schools, lots of conservation land, easy access to urban stuff in Cambridge/Boston. I'd live there in a minute if I could. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts