U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2009, 11:33 AM

213 posts, read 1,049,179 times

Advertisements

I've applied for a faculty position at Westfield State College but know nothing about the university or area. Things I'd like to know:

1. Does Westfield State College have a good reputation (regarding academics, quality of education, SAT/ACT scores of students admitted)?

2. Do faculty stick around (make their career there) or is it a "stepping stone" kind of place?

3. Tell me about Westfield (the town). Is it safe? Pleasant? Friendly? Affordable? (We'd want a single family detached home, since that is what we currently own.)

4. Are there other towns within commuting distance that we should consider living in?

5. Are there parks, lakes, hiking/biking/Xcountry skiing trails in the area? We enjoy outdoor acivities.

We currently live in St Cloud MN (1 hour from Mpls) and own our home (free and clear). I am one year away from tenure and promotion in my current job and am just about guaranteed I'll get both.

On one hand, I hate to risk the comforts and security we have already achieved, but on the other hand I currently commute 3 hours and we do not want to live in the town that I work in (Fargo ND--do you blame me?). We figure if we're going to move anyway, we may as well move to an area we would like. Our son and DIL live in Boston, and a move to Westfield would bring us closer to them w/o smothering them.

Anything you can tell me about the area will help us in this big decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 11:37 AM

213 posts, read 1,049,179 times
Default no wink

The winking emoticon wasn't supposed to be next to the subject. I'm very serious about all of my questions.

Thanks.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:18 PM

418 posts, read 1,346,233 times
I'm sorry to see no one's responded to your post. I can't respond to the particulars of employment at Westfield State, but I will tell you that it is in a great area, with lots of housing options and recreation. I would think seriously about the move since it will bring you closer to family. Cost of living is much less in Western Massachusetts than in Boston, too, which you will appreciate.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 AM

2,412 posts, read 6,911,660 times
Are you still looking for an answer, snowlandcook? If so, post something and I'll write up a response. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,070 times
Westfield, is a good, safe place to live. If you work at Westfield State you will be able to take your breaks accross the street at beautiful Stanley Park. I believe our community is a welcoming place. I have lived here since childhood and am still amazed at how crime is pretty low here compaired to surrounding eastern Mass.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,044 times
I just found this post and am curious if Snowlandcook took the WSC job? I am looking into a position there and would love to know if it was a good fit... thanks for any help and insight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts