Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:19 PM

135 posts, read 542,061 times

Advertisements

Are there any pet friendly communities in MA?

I saw on the news the other day, the town of Dudley has adopted an ordinance limiting the number of cats per household.

I think three was the maximum number I heard.... after that the town requires a special license? Am I wrong about this? Or is it fact?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 04:23 PM

227 posts, read 607,918 times
a lot of communities all over the US put limits on pet populations... mainly restricted to "whole" animals capable of breeding. The reason is to crack down on backyard puppy mills and the overpopulation of strays. I dont know anything about Dudley's law though.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:28 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Fife-Bell View Post
Are there any pet friendly communities in MA?

I saw on the news the other day, the town of Dudley has adopted an ordinance limiting the number of cats per household.

I think three was the maximum number I heard.... after that the town requires a special license? Am I wrong about this? Or is it fact?

Just curious.
Yes, I saw that news item about Dudley. Apparently, some woman had 15 cats that were roaming outside and bothering her neighbor. Usually, it's dogs that have that kind of restriction.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks for that info... I have 5 that I've raised from kitties....

Been considering coming home to MA to live from AZ, but if pet friendly towns are slim, I'll rethink my plans....I have a very large horse (1100 #), too. I'll need a place for him too.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:52 PM

I dont think so. Also, there are lots of homes with enough acreage to keep a horse. Heck, i may even buy one and I don't even own a horse! I have several homes on my shortlist with small stables. We also have 2 dogs and 2 cats and intend to get another dog once we're settled in.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:01 PM

I have family and friends on the South Shore, and they're bugging me to get closer to home if you will....I haven't lived there for 30 years, I'd imagine a great deal has changed.

Not in a financial position to buy right now, but would consider boarding the horse where I could ride from the facility...this move can't take place until the economy gets a whole lot better, and I wrap up a lot of things in AZ. So for now, I'm pretty much just seeking info. When I saw the thing about the restrictions on kitties in the town of Dudley, I wondered if it was something prevalant that was happening there or it was just something that town was doing to curb over population of unspayed and unneutered animals.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingThinking View Post
I dont think so. Also, there are lots of homes with enough acreage to keep a horse. Heck, i may even buy one and I don't even own a horse! I have several homes on my shortlist with small stables. We also have 2 dogs and 2 cats and intend to get another dog once we're settled in.

I have friends and family on the South Shore, but not in a position financially to buy anything so will have to be content with a rental when the time comes.....I was concerned towns were becoming un-pet-friendly that was all...The horse will have to be boarded, I think, but I'll have to choose that carefully so I can ride out of the facility. Can't do much of anything to make this move out of AZ until the economy gets a whole lot better.....but thanks for the info anyway....

Old 11-06-2009, 06:48 PM

Well if I end up with a place and a stable, I'll message you about boarding. I rode when I was younger, and I know we'd lease out for boarding if we end up with that sort of property.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingThinking View Post
Well if I end up with a place and a stable, I'll message you about boarding. I rode when I was younger, and I know we'd lease out for boarding if we end up with that sort of property.
Thanks for thinking of me.
Peg

Old 11-10-2009, 07:14 AM

8 posts, read 14,846 times
Each town has its own Health ordinances which can limit the number and type of pets/animals per acreage. For instance, some towns allow roosters, and some do not. Some restrict the pounds of animals - for instance, I can have two horses or 55 chickens...but in my town, cats and dogs aren't restricted. It all depends on the particular town and its and its residents' experiences. You can find out by calling the Health Dept., as these are seen as health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts