Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 10:34 AM
mhk mhk started this thread

1 posts, read 3,764 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear from people who have lived in these towns.

We just cant decide which town. Our main criteria is of course good schools. I know that all of these have good schools. I am not too worried about elementary level. I believe they are all similar. My concern is at higher school level.

We finally are about to nail it down to Westborugh. Although it is well concieved that you get less here compared to the other towns. We like the fact that there are nicer yards here and we hear that at high school level this is much beter that Shrewsbury or Holden or Grafton. Anyone here has any cmments on this.

Another driving factor of course is easy commute to both UMass and Boston. I just go crazy when I see people spending millions or living in much smaller houses just so that they can go few more ranks higher in school. But hey isnt that what I am doing here on a smaller scale? I could get a brand new or newish house in Holden or Grafton for what we would pay in Westborugh.

I dont like the fact that Westborough has such high taxes. It will be atleast around 600$ or more monthly for that. Add other expenses and then a mortgage.
And we can get brand new houses in Holden and Grafton for the same price of a 40 year of house in Westborugh.
I was eager for Shrewsbury but I just cant like any houses there. I am starting to get repelled from the cookie cutter colonials the new ones that are being produced in Shrewsbury, Holden and Grafton.

We are ready to take a older house in a good neighborhood with some mature trees hoping the house has some charecter. We will do the updates.

I guess I just rampbled. The whole house hunting s making me crazy.

Another thought is should we wait to see what happens after the 8K tax credit bubble.

I guess I asked many qns.. just confused.
BTW our baby is only 5 months old. We have ways to g before thinking High school.

Last edited by mhk; 10-19-2009 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 04:31 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,290,205 times
UMass... Amherst or the med school or another one?

If you're only going to Worcester, but need to be in Boston too - then I'd say go further east to Westboro or maybe Northboro.

If you're going to Amherst, then stay west towards Shrewsbury and Grafton.

Holden to me seems a bit out of the way from everything. Even though it's really not.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:48 PM

160 posts, read 568,525 times
I live in Grafton. It has a small town charm and the elementary level schools have been wonderful. It is true that as you get to higher grades (middle school on) Westborough is significantly better. In fact, Westborough is 16th in Boston Magazines 2009 ranking, ahead of many affluent towns close to Boston.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,678 times
I graduated from Westborough High School in 1964 when the town was much smaller. I was in the first graduating class to go over 100 students. The school system is still one of the best in the state. It has cost the town in more ways than one to keep the schools at such a level. Most of the young towns people were unable to afford to stay in town and moved on. Families from the east have moved in because of the country charm of the area but they want all the same things around them they had in the city. This also costs the town more money and taxes go up. The housing in town covers any and all types from the basics to the sublime. You probably will not find a better time to buy a house
in Westborough and I think you would be quite happy with everything the town has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts