Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:01 PM

15 posts, read 77,814 times

Advertisements

Hello;
We found two houses that we really like. One house in Lexington and the other in Winchester. The Lexington house is definitely a lot nicer but the street is not as charming as the street in Winchester. Is it better to buy a really nice house in Lexington on not such a nice street or an OK house in Winchester on a great street? Can somebody please tell me the differences between Winchester and Lexington? Such as the commute to the financial district, the type of people, the town and the overall ambiance. Thanks you so much in advance for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:36 PM

44 posts, read 135,545 times
Winchester is a nicer town. Winchester has the commuter rail which goes straight into North Station. Very convenient. Lexington you drive 15 minutes to Alewife T station and its horrifyingly large / crowded parking lot and then ride the subway in. Winchester wins hands down.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:11 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Obviously your question (is it better...) is subjective. I like both towns for different reasons but prefer Winchester on aesthetics as too much of Lexington was built in that awful postwar suburban sprawl era.

The commute is far easier from Winchester. It's about 15-20 min to North Station and only another 3 stops on the T from there to the Financial District. Driving in from Winchester, you can come straight down 93. Though there's traffic in the rush hour, it's still preferable to driving from Lexington, which involves Route 2, which always backs up at the Alewife Brook area. That's where Route 2 ceases being a highway and feeds into a winding parkway with multiple traffic lights and rotaries before dropping you on Memorial or Storrow Drive for a stop-and-go jaunt along the Charles.

There is no commuter train station in Lexington and you would have to take a bus (long and slow ride) or drive to the Red line at Alewife, which involves dealing with the massive and early-to-fill parking garage there.

About the towns: they offer similar upside but are different in feel. Decades ago Winchester was more of a standoffish upscale WASP planned suburb and Lexington was more of a standoffish upscale WASP rural town with a historic center. Today Winchester is much less standoffish, though still upscale, and has a lot of community activities. Lexington is also much less stuffy than 50 years ago and it also has a lot of community recreation offerings, and its schools may offer more activities (though Winchester's are excellent). Both towns are reputed to be OK for newcomers to fit into.

Of the two Lexington is more diverse. Both towns are short on black and Latino residents, and both have growing Asian populations. But Lexington has a larger and more active Jewish population and Winchester probably has more of the Boston-area's traditionally dominant groups: WASP, Irish, Italian. Winchester today probably has more financial and business types, and Lexington more science and Ph.D. types.

The election returns in recent years indicate that they both lean liberal, but Lexington a bit more so, and certainly more overtly so. It's an unabashedly liberal town, while Winchester is a bit more buttoned down and understated in terms of politics.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhutt View Post
Hello;
We found two houses that we really like. One house in Lexington and the other in Winchester. The Lexington house is definitely a lot nicer but the street is not as charming as the street in Winchester. Is it better to buy a really nice house in Lexington on not such a nice street or an OK house in Winchester on a great street? Can somebody please tell me the differences between Winchester and Lexington? Such as the commute to the financial district, the type of people, the town and the overall ambiance. Thanks you so much in advance for your responses!
Well why not check Westwood you may buy and live in a great place!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 AM

22 posts, read 111,653 times
We just made this choice over the summer. We moved to Winchester in August. Since I am new here, I am only able to offer first impressions and things I have heard. I think Holden above, is pretty much right on. Both towns are liberal, but Lexington is more so. Winchester voted 60/40 in the last election, so while the town is democratic, it is more conservative than Lexington, which voted something like 70/30 or even 80/20. Sorry I can't remember the exact statistics.

Winchester is about 30% Irish, 20% Italian, 10% English at 5% Asian. It's been a while since I looked at these statistics. There is a small Jewish population with one temple. Lexington has a larger Jewish population as well as a larger Asian population.

Lexington is just larger period--something like 30,000 people versus Winchester's 20,000. The downtown seems a little more active to me. There might be a few more restaurants. I personally wish Winchester had more restaurant options.

The housing stock is more diverse and appealing in Winchester in my opinion. We are not fans of the spread out suburban culdesac neighborhoods. Probably 50% of the houses here are 1930's and older whereas there is a lot more of the 1950's-1990's type housing in Lexington.

I have found Winchester people to be extremely warm and outgoing. We had a multitude of gift baskets and cookie plates brought to our home the first day we were here. However, there is an element of snobbery as I understand it from other people. The Country Club has a 5 year waiting list and you have to appear before a board before you can get in. The Swim and Tennis Club and Boat Club also have years' long waiting list.

Schools in both places are excellent. Lexington high school has 2000 people versus Winchester's 1000. Lexington supposedly more pressurized academic environment but this is just what has been reported to me. I am extremely impressed with Winchester's middle school. The high school was 12th in the state in SAT scores last year. Lexington was probably higher, in the top 5. They are both good.

More recreational opportunities for the kids in Lexington due to the larger size or so I understand. My kids are beyond that point for the most part.

We find Winchester to be physically beautiful. The Mystic Lake is stunning. Several ponds, the fells. I love walking here--I am simply stunned by the beauty. I'm sure Lexington is equally beautiful.

My one fear going in was that Winchester would be aloof and snobby (because of that old-money reputation). Again, that has not been my experience at all. People are very down to earth and welcoming here. We steered away from Wellesley and Weston for this reason.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 AM

16 posts, read 80,948 times
How long would you say the commute would be from either of these two towns to Wilmington?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat View Post
How long would you say the commute would be from either of these two towns to Wilmington?
Not bad. From Winchester you could cut over to 93 N and go against traffic or take Route 3 North, again against traffic though it gets hectic near the 128 interchange office parks. From Lexington, you'd take 128 N, which will have less traffic than going the other way.

I'd say under 30 minutes from either. How much under depends on where in each town to where in Wilmington. Without traffic it can be done from either in under 20 mins.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:41 AM

16 posts, read 80,948 times
Are there any country clubs (tennis/golf/swimming/dining, ec) in this area that newcomers could get into?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 AM

22 posts, read 111,653 times
I have found private clubs to be problematic in Winchester. There is a 5 year waiting list for Winchester Country Club (golf), 3-4 year waiting list for the Boat Club, and several years wait for Swim & Tennis Club. I have never experienced anything quite like that! There is a newcomers club, called the Winchester Neighbors Club, that offers many different kinds of social events throughout the year. There are large parties, women's and men's nights out, bookgroups, and a "cocktails club," my personal favorite. There may be other "club" type options of which I am unaware. We have been here 3 months and plan to get on the boat club list. This club is supposed to be low key. We are thinking that more people will drop off than expected, which will shorten the waiting time.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 37,240 times
A few random thoughts: I lived in Winchester from 1989-1999 and have lived in Lexington since then. Winchester has far more of those Victorian-era charming houses, one of which I lived in there. It has a more quaint (and peaceful) town center, still has a railroad (but the parking lots can fill quickly, but you can often walk to the train -- as I used to do), and the beautiful Mystic Lakes, around which I often still bicycle. The town is physically more compact than Lexington, which is larger and much busier. However, Lexington may have more services, including a town-wide bus service called LexPress. The #62 and #76 bus lines connect to MBTA Red Line at Alewife (as someone mentioned: it's not nearly as direct as the quick rail link from Winchester to Boston). What was the rail line in Lexington is now the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway (OK, it may be a bit of a stretch to ride all the way to the financial district ;-). I live in a more modern style of house in Lexington, but the plus is that it's on a fairly nice street and is a bit more energy efficient than the drafty Victorian, which was more visually appealing! Politically, it always felt like Winchester was closer to "red state" and Lexington was "blue state", but didn't bother me too much when I lived there. I suspect that with the economy as it is, both towns are probably much more affordable than they were just a few years ago. Also, check into the schools. We like that Lexington has a very strong music program at the high school level, although the Winchester Community Music School was valuable when we lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts