Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 PM

132 posts, read 465,355 times

Advertisements

Pizza delivery man attacked Saturday night | Massachusetts Local News - MassLive.com

Springfield police probe attempted abduction of female Western New England College student | Massachusetts Local News - MassLive.com
Springfield police probe reported home invasion in Forest Park Neighborhood | Massachusetts Local News - MassLive.com
4 females, believed to range in age from 14 to 18, suspected of stealing pocketbook from a woman on Albemarle Street in Springfield | Massachusetts Local News - MassLive.com
Springfield police probe armed robbery of American International College student in his dormitory room at Hines Hall | Massachusetts Local News - MassLive.com
Nelson Elliot of Springfield charged with breaking into Belmont Avenue electronics store | Massachusetts Local News - MassLive.com
Four Springfield men found with gun stolen from Florida | Massachusetts Local News - MassLive.com
Springfield police investigating shooting on Kensington Avenue | Massachusetts Local News - MassLive.com
Eric Denson of Springfield pleads innocent to stabbing of Cathedral High School senior Conor Reynolds | Massachusetts Local News - MassLive.com

Oh yea...its OUR attitude holding the city back
and dont forget
Two teens stabbed for their sneakers.

No really its our fault
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,773,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiveintohell View Post
Oh yea...its OUR attitude holding the city back
and dont forget
Two teens stabbed for their sneakers.

No really its our fault
Any place looks bad if you only talk and show it's negative aspects.
Why not talk about the success of Springfield's homelessness rehab programs which have become national models.

Most crime is isolated into certain neighborhoods, Hungry Hill, the North End, Liberty Heights. These are places one probably wouldn't go to on a normal day, unless you're visiting Baystate Medical-which is in it's own complex.

Springfield has some wonderful neighborhoods.
City of Homes | Choose Springfield, Massachusetts

That's a pretty good website for research which places you'll want to look at. I would say, stay in the eastern and southern neighborhoods. Forest Park, East Forest Park and Sixteen Acres are wonderful upscale neighboords to live in, with beautiful, well kept homes.

I would take a drive down Plumtree Road, Roosevelt Avenue (south of Watershop Pond), and the Island Pond Road/Southbranch Parkway. Full of great homes with a lot of park land.

It has wonderful museums, and parks, and huge social events. There's Six Flags, the Big E, and the Basketball Hall of Fame with some terrific restaurants.

Places like Hartford and Providence look good on paper, but when you're there in them, the hype goes away very quickly. Of the three cities, Springfield is the safest and wealthies of those cities, and the most self-sufficent.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 AM

You really want to talk about the homeless shelters [yes plural as in 3] on Worthington street? really? Just ask Frank Keogh {sp}

"Most crime is isolated into certain neighborhoods, Hungry Hill, the North End, Liberty Heights. These are places one probably wouldn't go to on a normal day, unless you're visiting Baystate Medical-which is in it's own complex. "

you forgot to mention Sterns Square, the X, the south end, east forest park, and mason square, the area by Springfield College, the projects at Berkshire and Bay..and I KNOW I missed a few more neighborhoods

Two teens stabbed for their sneakers | WWLP.com (http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/two-teens-stabbed-for-their-sneakers - broken link)

that was at a forest park neighborhood

So in your eyes some sections of the city are off limits to normal activities such as working, shopping, and driving through

You can always enjoy the museums at the quad, but don't be surprised if your car gets broken into, and you are hassled by the homeless when you are there.....didn't the homeless set up a tent city there????
Last week my best friend's van was broken into, $1900 worth of tools stolen...he was working at the museums!

ANY place where you can buy a 2500SF house for less than $30,000 you should be suspect. There are commercial management companies that can't GIVE away store front space.

6 flags is in Agawam and the Big E is in WEST Springfield, a totally different town.

and don't forget to mention the murder of a guidance counselor, and all the violence at the public schools there.

Hartford's gang task force pushed the gangs out of that city, and where did they go? hmmm oh yea thats right SPRINGFIELD

The FBI, DEA, and ATF all have offices downtown, and the MAJORITY of those agent DO NOT live in Springfield.

People from out of state look at these boards for the TRUTH not some white washed version

As I have stated before on other Springfield threads, it is a shame, Springfield, the city of homes, is in a great location (geographically)with a ton of great history. It could be a great place but not for many many years to come.

another thread you should read
//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...ringfield.html

Last edited by skydiveintohell; 04-28-2010 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: added a thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,773,055 times
well if you hate it so much, just stay down in Florida.

But you can't just focus on the negative. It's not like Florida is the cream of the crop.

This person deserves to know the good things about the city too.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 AM

207 posts, read 553,956 times
We moved to WMass from RI about 2.5 yrs ago. My husband works in Springfield but we live in Monson (nice, quiet hill town with decent schools and home prices--very friendly, good community feel).

Anyways, personally, I would never want to live in Springfield. Yes, there are some nicer areas such as 16 Acres, but to me they are nice to visit, or drive through, not live in. Being a mother of 3 myself, I wouldn't feel that my children were safe. I also have a good friend who was a Springfield cop for 15 yrs. He just recently retired due to an injury he received while on duty. He has told me he would never want to do the job again.

That's just my 2 cents...

Old 04-28-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
well if you hate it so much, just stay down in Florida.

But you can't just focus on the negative. It's not like Florida is the cream of the crop.

This person deserves to know the good things about the city too.
That's your response? attack Florida? attack me?

I live in Monson, I just have a place in Fla too. I also lived and worked in Springfield for more than 15 years
As I said before, people come on here from other states and DESERVE to hear the TRUTH.
Just because you don't like the facts I provide does not mean you have to be rude!
The NEGATIVE is very important to families so they can make an educated decision.

What part of my posts are NOT TRUE or ACCURATE?

Debate me on any particular point or prove me wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts