Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:43 PM

8 posts, read 20,527 times

Advertisements

I work in Worcester and my husband is looking at a job in Providence. Is there a town in between with a good school system and is family friendly? We don't mind if it is a little rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:43 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,162,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmleo View Post
I work in Worcester and my husband is looking at a job in Providence. Is there a town in between with a good school system and is family friendly? We don't mind if it is a little rural.
It's not on Route 146, but Franklin, MA, might be worth a look. I don't live there, but it has quite a bit going for it. Pretty far from Worcester, though.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 AM

925 posts, read 2,734,749 times
Hopkinton - about 30 min to Worcester & 50 min to Providence. Its school system was named in Boston Magazine's list of top public high schools and Newsweek's of top high schools in the country two years running.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 AM

8 posts, read 20,527 times
Thanks, those two towns have been mentioned to us. It's good to hear more recommendations for them. I will have to do some research now.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 10,588 times
The problem with the towns mentioned above is that they're not really convenient to BOTH cities, especially with the amount of Traffic during the morning/evening commutes. They have excellent schools, however when you factor in the actual location and commute times, you'd be much better off staying near the 146 area as you originally thought. There would be a lot of (and a lot cheaper) towns to choose from. However, keep in mind that on this site most, if not all, of these towns get a very bad rap. I don't know if it's just that the majority of people here are from the Boston area or not. The general consensus here seems to be that if it's not Franklin, or Hopkinton (etc.) than it's not good enough.
A lot of people cannot afford a $600,000 house, nevermind half of that price. Especially first time home buyers. While towns such as Uxbridge and Northbridge may have only average schools, there are towns with good schools. Sutton, or Douglas would be good choices. Low/No crime, etc.

All I'm saying is to go out and do some investigation yourself. Don't just rely on the opinions of the people here. At the very least, talk to people familiar with those areas.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 AM

925 posts, read 2,734,749 times
Sutton is nice and very much less expensive. My understanding is the schools are decent for that area but I don't have personal experience with the schools there. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

Just an fyi, there's actually a decent home inventory in towns like Hopkinton in the 300s and 400s. You don't have to have $600K to buy a home there, unless you're looking for a large, newer home. People sometimes assume that because there's been a lot of big new homes being built there in recent years. We lived in Hopkinton & my wife used to commute to Providence and didn't find the traffic bad and she hates to drive. I do think traffic would be rougher getting to Worcester, even though the distance is shorter.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:48 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,295,008 times
I'd suggest Sutton as well, but most of the towns are fine on the Mass. side of 146. They may not be elite schools and towns, but they're not the pits either. Don't know much about the RI side to comment.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 10,588 times
On the RI side, Burrillville is a nice town and good place to raise a family. Stay away from Woonsocket; very depressed city. I'd look at Douglas is you don't mind rural. Sutton is a good town with good schools, but it's much closer to Worcester than Providence.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,546 times
Hopedale is great town with great schools and local to all major highways and train stations...

Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,225,813 times
Uxbridge. Equidistant between both cities and right along Route 146. Growing town, lots of newer construction, more reasonably priced than Sutton, but less rural.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 12-29-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts