Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 PM

175 posts, read 733,708 times

Advertisements

Here's my two cents. I cannot wait until they ban those god awful little creatures. I cannot stand them. Everytime I watch the news one of those little furry beast has bitten some child, teenager, or adult. I do not like them they're no good. If you do not feel safe living in your neighborhood and you think you need a pitbull i'd suggest you use your second amendment right.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
ONCE again- I said I am not for banning any breeds. I love animals. I think if you look not too far in other species of animals- monkeys, large cats, amphibians, you see many different attributes between species.

To say just because a breed was bred to attack other animals means they ONLY attack other animals and not attack humans is just foolish. The key is that they are aggressive and have it in their blood. Yes- there are many factors which I also have addressed in the other posts, but the bottom line comes down to:

Is there a higher chance of a bite from a pitbull or Rot vs. other breeds?

drum roll......YES folks...there is. End of story- I will not respond to further posts, so feel free to continue the thread with YouTube videos of how friendly pitbulls are.

I wish all pitbull owners the best and hope your pets have been from quality breeders. Once again- I'm NOT in favor of banning the breed- just monitoring breeders and those that they sell puppies to.

Nite!

wow, I've been watching this thread for a bit (I hate pit bull debates), and I must say NY'er, so don't seem to know a lot about pits!

so according to your reasoning, b/c pits were breed to attack other animals means that they will automatically attack people.

OK, people, the breeds that make up the "pit bull" are all TERRIERS!! the Staffy, the Amstaff, and the APBT are all TERRIERS!! now, if you know anything about dogs, you'd know terriers, as a whole, were bred to hunt, attack, and/or kill other animals, whether they be rats, foxes, rabbits, or sadly, other dogs. ALL terriers were bred to be aggressive towards their prey, ALL terriers were bred to be game! don't believe me? ask some yorkie owners if they would put a pet hamster in front of their precious pooch (I've heard of several game yorkies killing pocket pets and have seen a few go after squirrels!). so according to you, a dog bred to attack other animals will turn on a person. should I be worried about fox terriers, yorkies, scotties, Airedales, and all these other terriers bred to attack other animals?

ONCE AGAIN: animal aggression DOES NOT EQUAL human aggression!! Jack Russell terriers are notorious for being dog aggressive, as are Airedales. should we assume these dogs will turn on people? the pit is probably one of the few terriers bred to be especially gentle around people because they are one of the few terriers that were bred to work in close proximity w/ people (usually terriers were bred to be solo workers and did their own thing w/o human intervention, so being gentle around people wasn't as necessary in most terriers as it was in pits)

these days, yes, sadly there's a higher chance of one being attacked by a pit or rottie, BUT a decade or so ago, you were probably more likely to be bit by a doberman, and years before that, you were more likely to be bit by German Shepherd Dogs (or even a Cocker Spaniel!). now, we are seeing an increase of dog bite by breeds that are still somewhat rare in the US, but are gaining notoriety. in another decade, Cane Corsos, Dogos Argentinos, Filas, Tosas, or any random "super fighter" some scum will create, these dogs will likely surpass the pit in bite rates.

please check out the dog bit rates in cities/counties/countries that have banned pits. the UK is seeing a rise of highly aggressive GSDs

you can't monitor the breeding of one breed w/o doing so for the other equally "dangerous" breeds. in fact, monitoring will do squat b/c the scum will just go underground and continue to breed. IMHO, we should monitor the breeding of EVERY breed! of course, that's impossible, but let's not pick one breed to scrutinize when the scum we should be worried about aren't as discerning and will move on to the next breed of choice

Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
ONCE again- I said I am not for banning any breeds. I love animals. I think if you look not too far in other species of animals- monkeys, large cats, amphibians, you see many different attributes between species.

To say just because a breed was bred to attack other animals means they ONLY attack other animals and not attack humans is just foolish. The key is that they are aggressive and have it in their blood. Yes- there are many factors which I also have addressed in the other posts, but the bottom line comes down to:

Is there a higher chance of a bite from a pitbull or Rot vs. other breeds?

drum roll......YES folks...there is. End of story- I will not respond to further posts, so feel free to continue the thread with YouTube videos of how friendly pitbulls are.

I wish all pitbull owners the best and hope your pets have been from quality breeders. Once again- I'm NOT in favor of banning the breed- just monitoring breeders and those that they sell puppies to.

Nite!
You have a much higher chance of getting attacked by a lab than a "pit bull" and thats a fact.

I agree with you 150% that we should monitor breeders and the people that get the pups. "Pit bulls" need a strong pack leader, they need to be properly raised, trained and socialized (just like any breed), they need to get plenty of exercise, love and attention and they need to be kept under control at all times! Not because they are a bad breed, but because it is the responsible, respectful thing to do. As I have said before, I believe that we need to..

-Put a stop to leash law violations...Higher penalties for owners who violate the leash law will dissuade more people from slacking on their duties to contain their dog
-Strengthen and enforce penalties for dangerous owners (and their dangerous dogs)
-Crack down on dog fighting
-Strengthen animal abuse laws
-Prevent criminals from owning dogs...The following people should not be allowed to own dogs: drug dealers, human or animal abusers, and anyone convicted of a violent offense (assault, rape, robbery, etc.)
-Regulate breeders
-Fund public spay/neuter initiatives...These programs are important, especially low-cost ones. Unneutered dogs, particularly males, are far more likely to attack a human than either neutered males or spayed females.
-Educate about dog behavior (Stay Dog Bite Free! | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/dog_care/stay_dog_bite_free/ - broken link))
-Encourage responsible dog ownership
-Provide low-cost obedience training classes and behavior help hotlines for dog owners

Old 06-20-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsitgoingdude3 View Post
Here's my two cents. I cannot wait until they ban those god awful little creatures. I cannot stand them. Everytime I watch the news one of those little furry beast has bitten some child, teenager, or adult. I do not like them they're no good. If you do not feel safe living in your neighborhood and you think you need a pitbull i'd suggest you use your second amendment right.
They will not end up being banned.. Bans have been proven not to work time and time again. If you want "pit bulls" to be banned then I really hope you dont own one of the many breeds that will be banned right along with them!

I have only included 1 or 2 cities/states where the breed is affected by BSL so that the breeds can be verified as targets.

1. American Pit Bull Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
2. American Staffordshire Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
3. Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Note: Laws dealing with “pit bulls” also state any mix of the 3 breeds AND the MOST important line, anything that has the characteristics or appearance of these breeds. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistakenly identified as “pit bull” dogs. ) (Denver, CO)
4. Rottweiler
5.Doberman Pincher (Fairfield, IA) (Sisston, SD), (Westfield, IL), (Travelers Rest, SC) Shar Pei’s (Smithfield, UT)
6.German Shepard (Fairfield, IA)
7.Belgian Malanois (Fairfield, IA)
8.Siberian Huskies (Fairfield, IA)
9.Alaskan Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
10.Great Danes (Fairfield, IA)
11.Irish Wolf Hounds (Fairfield, IA)
12.Scottish Deerhounds (Fairfield, IA)
13.Mastiffs (Fairfield, IA)
14.Boerboels (Fairfield, IA)
15.American Bull Dog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA), (North Little Rock, AR)
16.Akita (Ulyssas, KS)
17.Chow Chow (Travelers Rest, SC), (New Port, RI)
18.English Mastiffs, (Yale, IA)
19.Tosa Inu (Aurora, CO)
20.Presa Canario (Aurora, CO)
21.Dogo Argentino (Aurora, CO)
22.Cane Corso (Aurora, CO)
23.American Bulldog (Aurora, CO / North Little Rock, AR)
24.Bull Terrier (Grandview, MO - Akron, OH)
25.American Bull Dog, (North Little Rock, AR)
26.Presa Canario (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA), (Lanett, AL)
27.Wolf Hybrid (Huntington WV)
28.Canary Dog ( Akron, OH)
29.Perro De Presa (Akron, OH)
30.Old Country Bull Dog (Akron, OH)

NOTE: These are breeds that are typically over 100lbs. If your dog is less than 100lbs than they are safe in Fairfield.

31.Bull Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
32.Neopolitian Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
33.Tibetan Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
34.New Foundland (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
35.Anatolian Shepherd (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
36.Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
37.Great Pyrenees (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
38.Komondor (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
39.Kuvaz (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
40.St. Bernard (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
41.Tosa Inu (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
42.Dogo Argentino (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
43.Cane Corso (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
44.Fila Brasileiro (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
45.Spanish Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
46.Italian Mastiff (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
47.Dogue De Bordeauxs (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
48.Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
49.Akbash (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)
50.Leonberger (Other dogs in excess of 100 lbs - Fairfield, IA)

You are more likely to get attacked by a lab then a "pit bull" and "pit bulls" are more tolerant (and there for can deal with rough childs play better) then most breeds, including goldens and beagles.

There are a few things that contribute to the negative stories on the news. As often the case, negative stories always seem to get National coverage, where the positive stories only make the local news. The Media is not always very responsible with their stories! I have seen news reports of a dog attack by another breed and, yet the media had a picture of a pit bull on the TV while reporting this story. I’ve read many stories where the reporter obviously hadn’t done any research, when I asked about their statistics they choose not to reply.

Every 10 years or so a new breed of dog is victimized by irresponsible owners, breeders, bad media coverage, and now it’s the pit bull’s turn. In the 70’s it was the German Shepherd, the 80’s was the Doberman’s turn, the 90’s Rottweilers and pit bulls had all the bad press, and now it’s the pit bull’s time to suffer again. And, unfortunately, in a few years it will be another breed that will be in the spotlight.

APBTs are one of the most stable people-friendly breeds in existence. The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and APBTs placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate! They are wonderful with children! They are way more tolerant than most other popular family breeds such as Golden Retrievers and Beagles and are the PERFECT breed to deal with the rough and tumble play a child can dish out. They are even known as nanny dogs for their love and dependability with children! They are unique, smart, easy to train, sweet, loyal, loving, gentle, obedient, devoted, tolerant and funny! They are almost human like in their emotions and expresions! These days alot of people choose to believe all of the crazy myths they have heard about "pit bulls" over the facts! Like any breed of dog, a healthy "pit bull" that is properly raised will remain loving and friendly. In the past 20 years, we have seen some sad examples of poorly bred and badly treated dogs that are by products of irresponsible "backyard breeders" and cruel and abusive homes. These improperly raised, unsocialized creatures can show temperaments far removed from the traditional authentic "pit bulls." Do not confuse these unfortunate misbreds with the HUGE majority of well-loved "pit bulls" in this country that remain solid in temperament, affectionate, trustworthy and friendly to their dying day.

YouTube - PIT BULL VICIOUSLY ATTACKS BABY

YouTube - Hero dogs

YouTube - BSL: American Pit Bull Terrier

It isnt uncommon to hear "pit bull" owners utter the words, "You have to own one to know what I mean." "Pit bull" ownership is a truley unique experience. It is diffiuclt to express the level of love, joy and pure magic these breeds bring to their caretakers every single day.

Oh and by the way.. my husband and I live in a very safe neighborhood! We feel safe with or without our dogs.. we own two wonderful American Pit Bull Terriers because they are one of the most amazing breeds that exist.. PERIOD.

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 06-20-2007 at 10:34 PM..

Old 06-22-2007, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 22,371 times
Facts & Stats about Dog Bites (http://www.dogexpert.com/Dog%20Bite%20Statistics/DogBiteStatistics.html - broken link)

I've been reading this for a little bit, and I used to live in Denver where they did ban pit bulls because of multiple attacks on children; even on the owners children - many of them were fatal. I think they are really cute dogs, and the cutest puppies, but when the do attack (for whatever reason) their instinct is very cut throat.

Some of the little dogs can be just as vicious, it is just that pit bulls are large and can cause more damage. They are all animals and can all turn for whatever reason; people need to remember that - they do have instincts just like us (survival, etc.) and they can possibly use them.

I don't know what is right or what is wrong, I just know I don't want my child to be around aggressive dogs, either big or small.

The link above is to stats on dog attacks. And sadly "The breeds most often involved in fatal attacks are Rottweilers and Pit bulls."

Pit Bulls Banned Again In Denver - News Story - KMGH Denver

And owners have had repercussions as well; if your dog kills you serve the time.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:17 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Breed bans are very scary and sad - really, your own breed *could* be next. However, although nasty little dogs might bite more often, given the results when this particular breed DOES attack, the results are devastating.

As a former veterinary technician, I can honestly say that the pit bulls and pit-crosses were generally WAY easier to deal with than many of the smaller dogs that came in with big attitudes! It's pretty sad when you have to sedate a 15 pound curly-haired dog to clip his nails and clean his ears!

Here's a thought: until the past 50 years or so, every breed of dog had a job, which they had been bred for generations to perform. Herding dogs herd, working dogs work, Nordic-type breeds pull and run, and TERRIERS kill things, be they mice, rats or what-have-you. It's what they are bred to do, and you can't undo instinct by a couple of generations of "unemployment", good wishes and the best of intentions. Terriers (as a group) are probably the smartest, the most tenacious, and the most difficult to live with. They dig, they fight, they're generally other-animal aggressive, they have no idea that they're "small dogs" and combine that with the fact that they have no outlet for all of that energy and aggression... it's no wonder there are problems! We think it's funny when herding dogs like Border Collies herd geese, or kids at a bus stop, but when a terrier tries to listen to his (misguided) instincts, the result is anything but amusing...

Old 06-26-2007, 02:39 AM

9 posts, read 31,368 times
I will tell you from experience that the nastiest breed of dog I have encountered is the cocker spaniel. I started out as a dog groomer, then later opened my own pet sitting business that I ran for over 6 years. Of all the dogs I came in contact with, that was the most aggressive and nastiest breed. I was bit twice by 2 different cocker spaniels, and had numerous problems in general with the breed.

I am not a fan of pit bulls but I don't agree with a ban on them either. ANY dog can turn aggressive, sometimes for what seems to be no reason at all, but when a larger dog turns it usually ends up bad. Stricter laws on obtaining a pit bull (or any large breed of dog) should be put in place, not bans.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinovia View Post
I will tell you from experience that the nastiest breed of dog I have encountered is the cocker spaniel. I started out as a dog groomer, then later opened my own pet sitting business that I ran for over 6 years. Of all the dogs I came in contact with, that was the most aggressive and nastiest breed. I was bit twice by 2 different cocker spaniels, and had numerous problems in general with the breed.

I am not a fan of pit bulls but I don't agree with a ban on them either. ANY dog can turn aggressive, sometimes for what seems to be no reason at all, but when a larger dog turns it usually ends up bad. Stricter laws on obtaining a pit bull (or any large breed of dog) should be put in place, not bans.
I agree with you 150%!! I have owned many different breeds including a black, female cocker spainel! lol! Her name was Skittle and she was a spaz!! I loved her because she was my dog, but everyone else hated her! She always snapped at people, she bit each of my parents at least twice and my sister and brother wouldnt come out of their rooms unless she was in my room, in her crate or outside! She was properly raised, trained and socialized.. we took her to puppy classes and obedience school.. we had owned several dogs before her so its not like we had no idea what we were doing.. she just didnt like anyone! lol!.. I also agree that we should have strict laws on who can own large breeds and American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. I added them after large breeds because all three of the "pit bull" breeds are small-medium breed dogs. The "pit bulls" that are over 60 or so pounds are most likely mixed with a large breed.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 AM

11 posts, read 43,720 times
My husband has to move for school and NO renters would allow rottweilers. I had to get rid of my 2 year old daughters best friend. He was the sweetest most gentle dog i have ever owned. All our neighbors when were scared when they saw we had brought home a rottie, but there minds were quickly changed. He would greet everyone. He was afraid of little dogs and would hide behind me until the little dog pressured him into playing. He never barked at people knocking on the door. Greeted guest with a toy and tail wag. But because of insurance laws nobody would take us in our new city. I have since bought a mini American Eskimo who at 12 weeks is by far more aggressive than my rottie EVER was.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:16 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,815 times
All dogs with the known propensity to be violent, or breeds that are known to be raised to be aggressive/voilent should be banned from residential areas/cities/neighborhoods etc that are high density. It just isn't worth the chance...Many folks will argue that it's the fault of the owner/breeder that makes the dog violent. But it's a known fact that all dogs can/may become violent under the right situation. But dogs like pitts, rotties, dobers, violences very, very, frequently result is severe maiming, loss of limbs, and death. Your typical angry/violent dog doesn't inflict such serious injury/death when mad, hell most dogs are all bark, and not bite! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts