Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,102 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am currently living in West Natick (Natick Green Condo). Ever since I moved in half a year ago, there has been lots of pink/black mold growing in my bathrooms and on my windows.

Is this common in MA at all? I am from IL and had never encountered such an issue. Landlord refuses to help and believes having mold is normal. I have changed 4 shower curtains over several months because mold kept growing on them, even when I bought mold-resistant curtains (> $10/curtain).

I am very grossed out by this and want to move out of the condo ASAP. But if this is common in MA, I can only move to another state........Could someone please recommend apartment complexes that are free of mold? I understand mold bore is everywhere... Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 05:30 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,635 times
Around your windows, there's a lot of moisture which tends to congregate on them - especially the foggy or rainy nights. Happens a lot here since we're in a damp environment.

My mother wipes down the windows to remove the moisture when it happens. Since mold and mildew usually appear in damp and poorly ventilated areas - like bathrooms.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:35 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Just clean with a mold and mildew cleaning spray. Maybe get a fan for your bathroom. Just be aware of condensation forming on surfaces. No biggie.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM

21 posts, read 14,575 times
Hi Guys. Sorry I'm a little late to the conversation.

If you're seeing water on and around your windows, it is due to excess humidity inside the room. When warm, humid air comes in contact with a cold surface, the water vapor in the air turns to water, or condenses.

Here are some ways to reduce or even eliminate condensation:

- Increase the temperature of the window/outdoor air. Seems unrealistic, but storm windows can actually help with this. They create a pocket of air between the storm window and the regular window that is a little warmer than the outdoor air and a little bit colder than the indoor air. This is sometimes enough to keep the water vapor in the air, instead of on your window.

- Reduce the temperature of the indoor air. This is also unrealistic. The indoor air needs to be at a comfortable temperature for the occupants.

- Reduce the humidity in the air. This right here! Utilize exhaust fans when showering and cooking. Consider using a dehumidifier. They are relatively inexpensive.

So it all boils down to controlling the indoor humidity. Doing so can also prevent mold growth. And yes, I am a mold inspector. I see this sort of thing all the time.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-18-2017 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: no soliciting

Old 03-18-2017, 01:30 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,835 times
Lol, a little late?! How about 7+ years late.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:51 PM

21 posts, read 14,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Lol, a little late?! How about 7+ years late.
Hahaha ... yes, I know!

Just thought it could help some other people in the future.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: