Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 10,148 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job in Cranston, RI. We are moving our family of six from Eastern Connecticut to either RI or MA to eliminate the 2 hour commute. We are leaning towards MA because of the economy in RI, then he would have access to the Boston. We have a high schooler, so schools are important. We have considered RI, but the towns in South County (beautiful) have too many issues with the schools and the two towns with top schools (EG and Barrington) are incredibly pricey. I know this because I have relatives in school administration in Rhode Island. Does anyone have any recommendations for towns that are less than an hour commute to Cranston? Good schools (especially upper) are a major consideration. Many thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 07:05 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
teddy4, could you give us an idea of your price range?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:59 PM

400k - 600k. We would prefer not to go over 500k -550k but know with 4 kids this is hard in any RI/MA/Ct town with good schools and enough space.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 AM

14 posts, read 68,467 times
Lakeville, MA (as well as the adjoining towns of Freetown, MA and Assonet, MA) has a great school district (upper schools combined -- middle schools too and I think they're thinking about combining the elementary schools). Small-town feel, some great property available there, definitely within your price range.

Rehoboth is a very nice area but I haven't heard anything about the school system. Again, small town, beautiful properties, within your price range. Mattapoisett is similar but is considered to be somewhat of an 'exclusive' community -- I personally never found it that way but that's the reputation!

Fairhaven is fantastic as well. Their schools are great and their high school is just jaw-droppingly beautiful...and Fairhaven is a little more populated than Lakeville, where, as of a couple years ago, the only Dunkin Donuts in town closed at 6pm! Fairhaven is still a charming, quiant town, though, and it's very close to the water, which would be fun for the kids.

Acushnet is much the same, but a somewhat smaller town.

Last edited by AirForceSFwife; 12-01-2009 at 01:49 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 AM

557 posts, read 1,353,333 times
I grew up in Taunton and North Attleboro. I recommend North Attleboro, close to the RI border, around 30-45 minutes from Cranston. NA has pretty good schools as well as private Bishop Feehan HS as a possibility. You will buy a very nice house in that area for 500-600k!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
I agree about Lakeville and Assonet/Freetown. It's worth mentioning that Assonet is just the western half of the town of Freetown. It has it's own distinct village area (as well as convenient access to route 24) but it's the same town as Freetown. Freetown (Assonet included) and Lakeville share a school district that is pretty good. On the Assonet side of town you have the Assonet River and Assonet Bay... a tidal waterway with some beaches and access to the Atlantic Ocean. On the other side you have Long Pond (despite the name, it's a rather large lake... one of the largest in the state) which has some beaches and a boat ramp. You'll find good value for your money here including the possibility of waterfront or waterside property. My parents still live in a home with water frontage on the Assonet Bay and I'm a product of Freetown-Lakeville schools.

Lakeville is very pretty. The average income is a little higher than Freetown and so are the housing prices. You'll still find better value than most places in Eastern MA here, but not as low as Freetown. Much more new construction and typical cul-de-sac development in Lakeville as it's really become an exurb of Boston (there's a commuter rail stop in town). Lakeville is great, but parts of it will put you nearly 50 minutes from Providence (whereas Assonet is only about 25 minutes).

Acushnet is nice, but like Lakeville, it's a hike from Providence. Mattapoisett is nice but homes there can be pricey. Like AirForceSFwife, I never found it to be as stuffy as it is reputed to be. It's a great town but sort of on the periphery of a "reasonable" commute to Cranston (you're looking at 45+ minutes from parts of this town).

Fairhaven is beautiful and one of the more underrated towns in MA in my opinion. You could find an oceanfront or near oceanfront home within your budget here. Fairhaven has some wonderful historic homes (new construction too) and one of the prettiest public high schools I've ever seen (google it). It has a nice little town center (I love Margaret's restaurant there). It's also close enough to take advantage of the amenities in the city of New Bedford (i.e. restaurants, galleries, museums, shops, the national park, zoo, etc), which is just across the harbor from Fairhaven, without having to deal with the downsides of New Bedford (i.e. crime in spots, terrible schools, etc). I would consider this town very seriously. It's right on I-195. I'd also consider Dartmouth, MA for the same reasoning. Westport is nice, but the school system is terrible (I don't know if they're even accredited?).

Rehoboth is a bit more rural than the others but still pretty. I know the high school is OK (Dighton-Rehoboth), but know little about the rest of the system.

North Attleboro often doesn't get the credit it deserves because it shares a name with Attleboro which has its flaws (it's by no means terrible, but not wonderful either). North Attleboro is a nice, suburban community with access to good public and private schools. It's a good location between Providence and Boston.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:25 PM

Thank you all for your help! I will look into the schools in Fairhaven, Assonet and North Attleboro in particular. Do many people live in Mass and then commute to RI? I would think the majority do it the other way around. My husband just heard that a co worker lives in Norfolk MA but sends their kids to private schools. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Actually, there are a fair amount of people who commute from Mass. to RI. I think your husband may tire of a commute from someplace like Norfolk, although the schools are probably better that some of the towns that have been mentioned, and it's a more expensive locale.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy4 View Post
Thank you all for your help! I will look into the schools in Fairhaven, Assonet and North Attleboro in particular. Do many people live in Mass and then commute to RI? I would think the majority do it the other way around. My husband just heard that a co worker lives in Norfolk MA but sends their kids to private schools. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.
Cool. Yes, lots of people do it. I lived in Assonet for a few years and many people commuted to RI for work (many commuted to Boston too). It's not uncommon, especially for families as the schools are better. You'd be surprised at how many similar posts there are to yours.

If you look at Assonet, make sure you check Freetown's schools as Assonet is just the Western half of Freetown and all kids go to Freetown Elementary School. The middle, intermediate and high schools are regionalized with Lakeville (Freetown-Lakeville Middle, George R Austin Intermediate and Apponequet High). Students in Freetown also have the option to attend Old Colony Vocational High School for no charge (I THINK they can also attend Bristol County Agricultural at no cost too). If you're into private, there are plenty in the area (Coyle and Cassidy, Bishop Colony, Bishop Stang, Taunton Catholic, Tabor, Holy Name, Friend's Academy, etc) as well as Charter schools (i.e. Atlantis Charter) which give you unlimited options.

I know the decision can be tough and there's a lot of information to process in making such a big move. If you want some more first hand info, let me know and I can put you in contact with my mother who, until this year, was the chair of the Freetown-Lakeville Regional School Committee. She is a good contact and will give you unbiased info and first hand accounts of what you can expect and even offer you better alternatives if it doesn't appear Freetown-Lakeville will work for you. She's more than willing to help with this sort of thing (in fact, she loves it). If you're interested I'll send you a direct message with her email.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 PM

Thank you so much! Funny having relatives in Rhode Island and around Boston does not help at all with this area, they have never heard of these towns! I will keep you posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts