Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:38 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,439,048 times

Advertisements

After hearing about how cold it gets up there and how the heating bills can get scary-high, my husband and I decided we want a new comforter for Christmas. Here in the South, the relatively modest synthetic comforter we've had has been good for spring, summer, fall and winter all in one.

However, we heard that up north many people opt for high quality, very warm covers such as goose down comforters, so they can save on heating bills.
So now we want one but we discovered you need to have a PhD in "goose down comforters" to make the right purchase.
The high quality ones seem very pricey and "king size" doesn't help the cause; and since I don't even trust "high-quality-advertised" things nowadays, I am surely not tempted to go for a low-end one.

In a nut shell, what does everyone cover themselves with during winter nights and how cold are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 PM

185 posts, read 535,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
After hearing about how cold it gets up there and how the heating bills can get scary-high, my husband and I decided we want a new comforter for Christmas. Here in the South, the relatively modest synthetic comforter we've had has been good for spring, summer, fall and winter all in one.

However, we heard that up north many people opt for high quality, very warm covers such as goose down comforters, so they can save on heating bills.
So now we want one but we discovered you need to have a PhD in "goose down comforters" to make the right purchase.
The high quality ones seem very pricey and "king size" doesn't help the cause; and since I don't even trust "high-quality-advertised" things nowadays, I am surely not tempted to go for a low-end one.

In a nut shell, what does everyone cover themselves with during winter nights and how cold are you?
Hello Syracusa,

I will greet you early and welcome you to New England! You'll love it here.

To answer your question, I don't use those "high-quality-advertised" "goose down" "whatever down" comforters to keep warm. 2 reasons:
I hate taking them to the dry cleaners (they never fit in my washing machine because they are so bulky). Secondly, they are just so darn expensive.

I love, love, LOVE my fleece blankets. You know the light-weight type that you can find just about everywhere? I do, however, have to use 4 of them to keep warm at night (with the thermostat down to 65) but they are sooooo warm/SOFT. They pop into the washer easily, have a very short drying time, AND are not heavy and bulky to carry around. Oh, and they don't shed those annoying goose feathers either; AND they don't take much room to store after Fall/Winter/Spring are over. Yes, I use my fleece blankets ( 1 or all 4) pretty much 8 months out of the year.

That's my 0.02.

Welcome to Boston!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I grew up in Mass and lived there for many years. In my family both as a kid or adult it was a sheet, blanket and heavy quilt if it was very cold. That was enough for us and most people I knew. Im sure there are many that have down comforters today, but for me I think I would get overheated in them.

People in New England for the most part turn their heat down at night to conserve heating costs. Many still heat with oil heat, as many homes are quite old. I usually turned my thermostat down to around 65 at night and raised it to 68 to 70 in the daytime. Yes we wear sweaters and sweats in the house during the winter, always trying to conserve energy and reduce that bill. Heating your home can take a huge bite out of your income during the season. That season can last from Oct up into May more times than not.

If you feel you want the comforters I would get them. My only experience with them has been in Hotels in Germany. It definitely was cold there, and I was not at a loss for warmth with the comforter. I have to admit they were light, very warm and very comfortable to sleep under. They were goose down comforters. I don't know the first thing about types or particulars on them when buying them. Im sure someone will answer this thread and furnish you with that info.

One thing I would not do in New England is lower the thermostat much lower at night than you raise it during the day. Say only a 5 degree difference or so. Reason being the energy needed to raise the temperature back up would eat up your budget fast. So stick with a 5 to 6 degree lower the thermonstat at night when you go to bed.

You will find what works best for you once you live there. Hope you will enjoy the area. I think it is one of the best areas of the country, but the cold winters can take some getting use to.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:02 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,439,048 times
Thank you for the cents and the welcome, camer - appreciated!

Jimrob1, this is a great tip and I will surely not forget it. I am pretty sure I will get used to the winter even after 11 years in the South - as I grew up on almost the exact same parallel as Boston, only on the other side of the Pond and quite a bit further East. What I will probably NEVER get used to is the cost of living. I expect that will always be tough. Thanks again!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,166 times
I've had the wool blankets, down comforters, etc. but the warmest blanket by far was given to me as a gift. It's a very tightly woven fleece from Berkshire Blankets. Even on the coldest nights, I only need a sheet and this blanket.

Berkshire Blanket -- Products (http://www.berkshireblanket.com/products.html - broken link)

No. I don't get a percentage of their sales!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 AM

31 posts, read 53,669 times
Heated mattress pads help significantly.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Flannel sheets save you from the shock of getting into an icy bed. I think it's even colder here near Chicago - sure is cold today. I usually use flannel sheets and lightweight fleece blankets. I have allergies, so down is out. It's nice to layer the blankets depending on the temperature. If you get warm in the middle of the night, you can remove 1 layer without getting cold.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:53 PM

368 posts, read 1,388,168 times
OMG I'm SOOOO cold! This is my first winter in Mass, and I'm sure my gas bill is going to kill me. I 'set' the thermometer at 70 during the time I'm home, but generally kick it up to 72 or 73 at some point for at least a bit. I wear microfleece loungewear at home, thick socks, houseshoes, and generally have a blanket close by.

On my bed I have my sheets, a fleece blanket and this HYOOOGE, THICK comforter I bought at Kohls. my kids both have three comforters on their beds.

That said, my boyfriend (who is from Boston) thinks my house is WAY to hot for comfort, and swears that I will eventually acclimate.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 PM

289 posts, read 1,270,750 times
About 50 microfiber blankets usually does the trick. I'm part lizard, so I get cold easy.

I had a heated electric mattress pad for a while until I got a larger-sized mattress that didn't fit the mattress pad. Barely used any electricity and it kept the bed sooooo toasty. I only needed one blanket when I had that mattress pad. It was actually the best thing ever...Get one!

Also, get flannel sheets.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:16 PM

422 posts, read 1,475,184 times
i use fleece blankies too...they are oh so comfy. i'd cover myself with the blankie and get my spouse to tuck in the sides such that i'm kinda all rolled up...hahahaha, yeah, i sleep like in a cacoon. i bought an electric blanket just in case it gets too cold...shld've gotten an electric mattress pad instead. just changed to flannel sheets 'cos the regular cotton sheets were so cold....bbbrrrrrrhhhhh. by the way, what are your electricity/gas bills like? mine is already 300+ and it's not even winter yet!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts