Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,553 times

Advertisements

After an entire life living in Newton (with a two year stint living in Hingham during my teens), my family (husband and two young kids) would love to make a move to Hingham.

My question is this: We're expecting to get somewhere between $650 and 700k for our attractive ranch in Newton. Is it possible to get something decent in Hingham for between $550 and 600k, or should we expect to make a lateral move financially?

I remember enough about Hingham to know that, yes, it is considered an expensive community, but that there are portions that are slightly more "working class" that may make the housing stock more diverse. Does it still have the "have and have nots" feel of the early 1980s? That's pretty much the way I remember it.

Anyone who knows something about the current state of the market would be very helpful!

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 06:56 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,219 times
Well, according to the city-data website the average yearly income for Hingham and Newton is the same. (110 k) I did a quick internet search and there are definitely nice houses in Hingham available for under 600k. (3 bed.?) The houses were definitely nice, but certainly not mansions. Of course if you wanted something bigger there are less options. So perhaps there still is some of a "working-class" environment in Hingham. Of course, a day trip there could always help.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy12 View Post
After an entire life living in Newton (with a two year stint living in Hingham during my teens), my family (husband and two young kids) would love to make a move to Hingham.

My question is this: We're expecting to get somewhere between $650 and 700k for our attractive ranch in Newton. Is it possible to get something decent in Hingham for between $550 and 600k, or should we expect to make a lateral move financially?

I remember enough about Hingham to know that, yes, it is considered an expensive community, but that there are portions that are slightly more "working class" that may make the housing stock more diverse. Does it still have the "have and have nots" feel of the early 1980s? That's pretty much the way I remember it.

Anyone who knows something about the current state of the market would be very helpful!

thanks!
Hingham is elite as Newton, Brookline etc., Westwood
but first do decide why, or take trips to decide what you want? Most people are lucky to have a so called job now? If anyone can afford Hingham and
have a home for 500,000 and more? If that is a have not in this economy, and they also do have a job, to be a have not? Wow! Notre Dame Academy
now in Hingham I did attend when in Roxbury where it did start? Roxbury was a have not place to be and go to high school! However, it did work for us?

Last edited by maggiekate; 12-15-2009 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
The cheap parts of Hingham are no more. At one time, Crow Point was considered "downscale". Today, the real estate listings read "Desirable Crow Point".

As happens in many desirable towns, people are willing to pay for the location and will settle for a less than desirable structure and prices are driven up.
You can find a small ranch or cape on the high end of your scale in Hingham.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 21,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Hingham is elite as Newton, Brookline etc., Westwood
but first do decide why, or take trips to decide what you want? Most people are lucky to have a so called job now? If anyone can afford Hingham and
have a home for 500,000 and more? If that is a have not in this economy, and they also do have a job, to be a have not? Wow! Notre Dame Academy
now in Hingham I did attend when in Roxbury where it did start? Roxbury was a have not place to be and go to high school! However, it did work for us?
Uh, what?

Old 12-24-2009, 03:26 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
The cheap parts of Hingham are no more. At one time, Crow Point was considered "downscale". Today, the real estate listings read "Desirable Crow Point".

As happens in many desirable towns, people are willing to pay for the location and will settle for a less than desirable structure and prices are driven up.
You can find a small ranch or cape on the high end of your scale in Hingham.
The Greenbush Commuter Rail Line might have did in the more affordable side of Hingham. Friends tell me the Red Line extension did just that to Somerville back in the '80s.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:26 PM

278 posts, read 1,063,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debussy View Post
Uh, what?
Thank You!
Lost in Translation...

Old 12-25-2009, 09:43 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Default money

Quote:
Originally Posted by debussy View Post
Uh, what?
plan on 500,00 and 700,00
that will work for Hingham! Then plan with the private education it runs
14,000 plus for H.S. Hingham is no more elite than what?

Last edited by maggiekate; 12-25-2009 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts