Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 AM

5 posts, read 26,644 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the area, and from what I can gather during my research, the Acton public schools are excellent. I have 2 young children (a 3-year-old and a 5-month-old), so school quality is important to me. We are trying to decide which town in the area to live in and am slightly confused. I think I read somewhere that the Acton public school district is "intradistrict" or "interdistrict" or something like that, meaning that as long as you can get your child to the school, they can attend. Is that right? What if we decide to live in Littleton, which has its own school district? Will our kids have to attend the Littleton public schools? If this is the case, what is stopping people from living far away and driving to Acton, just to enroll their children in a great school?

Thank you for explaining this to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 06:49 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Typically, the school systems that accept outside enrollment do not have that many spaces available. Acton/Boxborough is regional in the upper grades, so probably the easiest way you could find out about the elementary schools is to call the offices of the superintendents of Both Acton and Boxborough schools and find out which (if any) of the individual schools offer school choice.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 26,644 times
Ah, so you're saying that while technically Acton-Boxborough schools have open enrollment, first priority goes to residents of those 2 towns, correct? So if I want my children to eventually attend that school district, I should find a home in either Acton or Boxborough. Do I have that right?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:38 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
That would be the safest route, for sure. Children who are residents of a town certainly can attend their own schools, and then if the school wants to offer additional spots (if they have the space) to outside kids, they might. It wouldn't be anything I'd want to rely on from year to year.

Maybe you could look at charter schools in the area?

Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 AM

3 posts, read 13,439 times
Acton schools are oversubscribed right now, so I wouldn't count on getting your kids in unless they live in Acton. Doesn't hurt to ask, but it shouldn't be your first plan. I suggest that you look into the Parker Charter school. I think it is in Devens. I've heard really wonderful things about the school, both academically and socially.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 AM

10 posts, read 49,594 times
I visited Acton-Boxborough HS and asked for a clarification of that term in Nov 09. If the town that you are in is willing to 'pay' A-B then yes. They do not currently have any students in that situation and have not had that in a while. No - they do not provide transport (so are you willing to drive your kids to/from school every day?). There are alot of not so expensive house in Acton (400-500K). Unfortunately, taxes in Acton is high compared to similarly assessed houses in other towns, something about town improvements (sewers, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts