Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 06:40 AM

108 posts, read 264,551 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I would very much appreciate input on the elementary school and pre-school (or pre-K) options in the above areas. If your kids went or are currently attending, or even if you simply have anecdotal knowledge, would you please share a bit of the good, bad, and ugly about the schools?

Our kids are at present in stable, happy school environments, and I am hoping to make the situation for them next year feel a bit less abstract. I have heard, vaguely, that the public school systems in the --borough areas are quite good. (Would consider a private pre-school, though.)

We plan to move to the area in the summer. I have a son who will be in 3rd grade next year and a daughter who will turn 5 next November, so I suppose that means another year of pre-school (or pre-K) for her before K...

We are really hoping to make their school experiences positive.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by naport; 12-22-2009 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,677 times
We have several friends and clients who have children in the elementary schools in Southborough and Westborough and always seem to have good things to say, and the school rankings are consistently very good in the boros except Marlboro. I'll send along more details about pre-school info shortly.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Holliston is also a very nice option. My nieces go to the elementary school there and their parents have been very pleased with the special attention they get. It's also one of only two school systems in the state to have a French immersion program for elementary school children. There was a nice article in the paper about the elementary school curriculum earlier this year. I'll see if I still have the link to it.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Aha, I found the link: Holliston Bucks Teach-to-MCAS Model «

Old 12-22-2009, 02:15 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,314 times
I went through the Southborough school system, I live in Southborough now, and my daughter will be entering kindergarten in Southborough next fall. It is a great school system and I personally had no complaints about it. There are lots of after school and sports programs for kids. The only thing that Southborough schools are lacking is a lot of racial diversity if someone was looking for that. Southborough has a great preschool called Southborough Village Preschool as well as some other daycare centers/preschools. I am not aware of any public preschools around here. I know that schools are usually pretty strict about the child being age 5 before they can go to kindergarten, however I don't know if they have some kind of placement test your daughter could take to see if she could possibly get into it this year. Southborough also offers full day kindergarten, but you have to get on the list in time. Oh yes, if private school was a consideration there is private school here for grades k-8 called Fay School. I believe it is the oldest private school in the U.S.(?) Southborough does not have a high school, so when that time comes kids have the option of going to Algonquin, a regional school that serves both Northboro and Southborough, or Assabet Valley, a vocational school. I hope this has helped you out some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts