Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 12,492 times

Advertisements

I tried it last year...I chose San Diego. I lived there for 6 months, and in a lot of ways I really liked it. I loved my neighborhood, which had a great feel and lots of mom n pop stores (pretty rare in any state). I loved the pelicans (I found them very odd), I loved riding my bike to work every day, I loved walking down to the beach on my way to the grocery store. I loved the multiculturalism and the Spanish I heard everywhere. And I had a great job. However, I left, and the biggest reasons were things that I just couldn't adjust to after growing up in Boston. The biggest ones:
*I HATED the reliance on cars. I could get around my neighborhood and (a real lottery winner) to work by bike, but EVERYWHERE ELSE involved 2 highways minimum, massive traffic, and stress. I missed being able to walk around and feel like I was part of a city....I felt like I was in a giant suburb.
*which leads me to the sprawl. It took so long to get out from all the development...and then you were in the desert.
*I hated the way that west coasters have this love affair with chain stores....everyone I met out there wanted to go to Outback, they wanted to go to Islands, they wanted to go to any other generic bar or restaurant they could find.
*I hated how hard it was to find people with similar interests, who wanted to talk about the news, about books, etc. I love beaches and bars but it got old. I missed the east coast culture. I know it's a cliche, but the superficiality got to me. All these people who would drive 2 feet down the street to the store, then go to the gym for 4 hours because they were so "active," and then tell everyone about how they were environmentalists. And put a buddha statue in the front room of their excessive home. Oy.

BUT....I haven't tried Northern CA. I think I might like it better. I still miss things about San Diego....and I sometimes wonder whether I should have stayed. But in reality, I think if I switch coasts again, I'll be heading more towards the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,161,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soi-disant View Post
I tried it last year...I chose San Diego. I lived there for 6 months, and in a lot of ways I really liked it. I loved my neighborhood, which had a great feel and lots of mom n pop stores (pretty rare in any state). I loved the pelicans (I found them very odd), I loved riding my bike to work every day, I loved walking down to the beach on my way to the grocery store. I loved the multiculturalism and the Spanish I heard everywhere. And I had a great job. However, I left, and the biggest reasons were things that I just couldn't adjust to after growing up in Boston. The biggest ones:
*I HATED the reliance on cars. I could get around my neighborhood and (a real lottery winner) to work by bike, but EVERYWHERE ELSE involved 2 highways minimum, massive traffic, and stress. I missed being able to walk around and feel like I was part of a city....I felt like I was in a giant suburb.
*which leads me to the sprawl. It took so long to get out from all the development...and then you were in the desert.
*I hated the way that west coasters have this love affair with chain stores....everyone I met out there wanted to go to Outback, they wanted to go to Islands, they wanted to go to any other generic bar or restaurant they could find.
*I hated how hard it was to find people with similar interests, who wanted to talk about the news, about books, etc. I love beaches and bars but it got old. I missed the east coast culture. I know it's a cliche, but the superficiality got to me. All these people who would drive 2 feet down the street to the store, then go to the gym for 4 hours because they were so "active," and then tell everyone about how they were environmentalists. And put a buddha statue in the front room of their excessive home. Oy.

BUT....I haven't tried Northern CA. I think I might like it better. I still miss things about San Diego....and I sometimes wonder whether I should have stayed. But in reality, I think if I switch coasts again, I'll be heading more towards the Bay Area.
Loved your post. Very clever. I would not say that Northern California is much better except less chain restaurants and more culturally diverse, in a good way. Walnut Creek, Marin County, oy veh!!! San Francisco is nuts traffic wise and public transportation isn't all it's cracked up to be. Other than Bart which doesn't reach outward areas, and cable cars (forget it) there are buses. Parking is a nightmare,expensive and the one way streets will make you want to tear your hair out! Don't get me wrong, I love S.F. It was my favorite city until I went to Boston. I have been going to S.F. since I was little including when my brother lived there for a few years and many times since. The last time I was there I found the city had lost it's charm with the inconvenience of getting around. I love the food, architecture,charm and liberalism but the cost is too much. Good to visit though.

Last edited by puffle; 09-11-2007 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,045,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I have lived all of my life in Southern Ca. except for a year in Va. and Ma. The most beautiful areas in my opinion are up north from the Central Coast all the way up to Oregon. Unfortunetly, not something one can do regularly living in S. Ca. on a tight budget. I definetly do not look at New England as just "quaint and meloncholy". The first night that my family drove through Mass. Ave. in Lexington made me cry. It was mid Nov. and close to snowing and I was hit with the charm and storybook quality in such a profound way that I had never experienced before. Everything here is fairly new, stucco, and boring. No great architecture in Los Angeles, in my opinion, and therefore is fairly mediocre at best. The color of the trees in the fall as we drove from Va. up through Ct. to Vermont was astounding. No real color in Ca. although the lawns stay greenish brown in the winter. The foliage reminded me of a box of Trix cereal. It's all relative, isn't it. I say tomato and you say to-ma-to. It's what makes the world go round.

You know Puffle, this is what I have always missed out here in Phoenix. I read this and know, I will get to New England if it kills me. I need the stimulation from my environment. I need the change in seasons. I'm in all summer anyway, at least 4, months you can do nothing in 105 to 120! So, I'm thinking the winters won't bother me that much. At least it's at the right time of year. Imagine summer vacation being the time of year your kids sit inside all day starring out the window with nothing to do. Well, I guess you can, where you live. At least in the winter they can get their homework done. This is why people do better in school out there in MA.
I love your description of it all, I can't wait.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
You know Puffle, this is what I have always missed out here in Phoenix. I read this and know, I will get to New England if it kills me. I need the stimulation from my environment. I need the change in seasons. I'm in all summer anyway, at least 4, months you can do nothing in 105 to 120! So, I'm thinking the winters won't bother me that much. At least it's at the right time of year. Imagine summer vacation being the time of year your kids sit inside all day starring out the window with nothing to do. Well, I guess you can, where you live. At least in the winter they can get their homework done. This is why people do better in school out there in MA.
I love your description of it all, I can't wait.
Well, Twiggy I hope both of our dreams come true soon.
On another note, I am enrolling my son in public school this Friday. After much consideration, I decided that my son really needs the structure of regular school and thought he really should experience high school with all the social and educational possibilities. The high school here is decent enough for a few months until we get out of here and the transition will be better once he goes to high school in Ma. I really take my hat off to parents that have the time and patience to do a good job at homeschooling. It's a bear!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:02 AM

142 posts, read 658,480 times
Hey puffle,

As it turns out, I didn't really have a good source of public information on home schooling for you. It was really a loose, informal network of home schooling parents who shared educational responsibilities. They collectively hired tutors for the subjects they didn't have expertise in, and made sure they were following the state framework.

I understand the social networking implications of higher education, though. I have a home-schooling friend who reluctantly let her kids to go to public high school. They're thriving and have adjusted well.

I saw my first trees changing color this week, just a couple. I looked at the forecast, and starting next week, the nights will start getting cool enough for more leaves to just begin changing color. Barring any high winds, it'll look like a bowl of Trix in a few weeks.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:21 AM

630 posts, read 2,221,964 times
pjscdn, sounds like it's going to be beautiful. I can't wait to arrive in in mid-October. Can't wait to see the change of seasons.

Puffle: How are things progressing for you and your family ??
I constantly think of you and wish you the best and hope for you and your family that the change you wish for comes soon.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
pjscdn, sounds like it's going to be beautiful. I can't wait to arrive in in mid-October. Can't wait to see the change of seasons.

Puffle: How are things progressing for you and your family ??
I constantly think of you and wish you the best and hope for you and your family that the change you wish for comes soon.
I am touched by your thoughtfulness MT! We may be able to get there by Christmas. Should know more in a week or two...just depends on a deal closing, if it is enough to sustain us in Ma. until I get a job and if we keep my son in school here until the semester is over in Dec. I am thrilled though that you will be arriving at the best time of year in Ma. I hope you take advantage of all it has to offer in the fall.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:54 AM

142 posts, read 658,480 times
It depends on the weather whether you'll see autumn colors in mid-October. The 'peak' season zone usually starts in upper Maine anytime now, and works it way south through New England. The hardwoods, such as maples, have the best colors, and those are typically in the upper states (Vermont, etc.) The tourists usually head to Vermont before mid-October. If you're up for it, you may still get a good show in the southern NE, such as the Berkshires or Holyoke Range.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscdn View Post
Hey puffle,

As it turns out, I didn't really have a good source of public information on home schooling for you. It was really a loose, informal network of home schooling parents who shared educational responsibilities. They collectively hired tutors for the subjects they didn't have expertise in, and made sure they were following the state framework.

I understand the social networking implications of higher education, though. I have a home-schooling friend who reluctantly let her kids to go to public high school. They're thriving and have adjusted well.

I saw my first trees changing color this week, just a couple. I looked at the forecast, and starting next week, the nights will start getting cool enough for more leaves to just begin changing color. Barring any high winds, it'll look like a bowl of Trix in a few weeks.
Love how you remembered the Trix analogy! Thanks for getting back to me about HS. I am very relieved to have him going to a public high school and I think my son is too. Homeschooling was actually his idea because of all of the moves he has had to make, but ultimately I had to take the reins and make the change. He actually ran away for an hour because he was so mad at my decision. Again, it was only for an hour, but a long hour!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,981,336 times
Southern NE will be beautiful in Mid-October! The cranberry harvest will be soon. I can walk a few yards outside my back yard and watch. The colors are so rich and glorious! This is my favorite time of year. The weather is crisp in the evenings and morning and mostly bright and sunny with a few fairweather clouds during the day. The clouds make for spectacular sunsets!
Think snow for Christmas! Not much, mind you, but enough to make it perfect!
I hope all of you who are trying to get here make it soon. We'd love to share our bounty with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts