Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 07:24 PM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,007 times

Advertisements

OUCH!!!! Folks please, I was born and raised in MA. I was then and still am a very warm, sincere, friendly, person. I still talk to strangers, to smile at another person and wish them well is a more positive feeling than being rude, and other peoples feelings are still important to me. Please do not label all people by the actions of others. I wouldn't do that to anyone.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,230 times
As a lifelong Mass resident of Middlesex County, Not surprised that this surf head calls us rude. We are somewhat clannish and I love the quips about Southern Hospitality, the cute little nicknames you get called.

We can be some of the best people around We also take the clan mentality into things such as sports, outsiders often marvel at the camaraderie the Sox bring out in the region from Maine to the good half of CT.

If you think we're rude, ever heard the jokes about NYC? Imagine a CITY with more people than our entire STATE.

Yes, the weather makes us more insular, drive aggressively, and often can't be bothered with silly chit-chat at the packie.
(a bit of NE slang there)

I'd rather live here than California, where everybody "knows" an agent or whatever. The legenday fake L.A. attitude.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:29 AM

46 posts, read 137,967 times
I was raised in FL, and moved to MA in 1995. I noticed this as well, particularly if I spoke to someone of another ethnic background then myself. As a southerner living in the north though, I have noticed that you must earn a New Englander's trust before they will befriend you. You do this by being well-mannered, considerate, and thoughtful. Don't talk before you think. Once you have their trust, however, they will be just as friendly and talkative as anyone else.

That said, I do miss the south and plan on moving back home within the next year. This is because I live in Springfield (I can't afford to live anywhere else in MA), and the schools are terrible here.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:35 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,197,657 times
As a transplanted Californian, I have spoken here before of my impressions of the people I personally have met, encountered, stood in line next to, asked for directions from, spoken to on the phone, served my family in restaurants, etc. and have yet to meet these "rude" people that have been complained about so much on this thread. I wonder why this is? I lived in Lexington,Ma. for a year and now Concord and still my opinion has not wavered. I guess I go to the right places at the right time when the "rude" folks are being cold and snobby elsewhere? Just lucky or does it have to do with how you come off to others? Since being here only four months this go round, I have been invited to family dinners of people I just met, introduced to parents, have a nice day being said everywhere and meant it, which never happened in California. Can't imagine ever moving back to Ca. especially just for the weather!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:25 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
As a transplanted Californian, I have spoken here before of my impressions of the people I personally have met, encountered, stood in line next to, asked for directions from, spoken to on the phone, served my family in restaurants, etc. and have yet to meet these "rude" people that have been complained about so much on this thread. I wonder why this is? I lived in Lexington,Ma. for a year and now Concord and still my opinion has not wavered. I guess I go to the right places at the right time when the "rude" folks are being cold and snobby elsewhere? Just lucky or does it have to do with how you come off to others? Since being here only four months this go round, I have been invited to family dinners of people I just met, introduced to parents, have a nice day being said everywhere and meant it, which never happened in California. Can't imagine ever moving back to Ca. especially just for the weather!
The rumor is that the friendly folks you've met have not been New Englanders. In fact, I heard tell that they steer clear when they see a Californian. I think you must have encountered transplanted southerners.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,197,657 times
And they can tell a Californian how? Nope...born and bred in Ma. accent and all (not all, all) My whole family is originally from the East Coast so I guess I assimilate well

Old 03-29-2008, 10:39 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
And they can tell a Californian how? Nope...born and bred in Ma. accent and all (not all, all) My whole family is originally from the East Coast so I guess I assimilate well

Yeah, I've never understood this "New Englanders are rude/unfriendly, etc." thing. I've never found that to be the case, and I've lived here 25 years. Originally from Texas, and when I go back for visits to family, I feel practically suffocated by all that "friendliness." Good lord.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:27 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,738,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Don't confused "cold" with reserved. Just because someone isn't giggling and bubbling and babbling and getting in-your-face with every detail of their personal life doesn't mean they're not friendly. It never seems to occur to the in-your-face babbler that THEY are the one being rude.

Perception isn't necessarily reality. Don't go around judging everyone else until you know them, and more importantly, don't lump groups of people together and label them as being this or that, because everyone's different.

I'm a native New Englander and I cringe at the things some other natives have written in this thread, attempting to describe the entire region in their own terms and in their own prejudiced views. Clannishness and standoffishness is not practiced by people with good manners. Just get to know people, make an effort to be as friendly and helpful and welcoming to them as you want them to be to you, and you'll find friends anywhere.

Well said...thank you!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:40 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Well said...thank you!
As a past resident of MA, I totally agree with crazyworld and Boomerang. I have never lived among such dignified - and, not is a haughty sense - and giving community of people. They are self-disciplined, hard-working, and willing to share whatever they have with those less fortunate.

I applaud the people of Massachusetts. MA has much to be proud of in their citizenry. Shame of those who narrow-mindedly say otherwise!

(I owe you one, crazyworld!!)

Old 03-29-2008, 03:50 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-bound View Post
I was raised in FL, and moved to MA in 1995. I noticed this as well, particularly if I spoke to someone of another ethnic background then myself. As a southerner living in the north though, I have noticed that you must earn a New Englander's trust before they will befriend you. You do this by being well-mannered, considerate, and thoughtful. Don't talk before you think. Once you have their trust, however, they will be just as friendly and talkative as anyone else.

That said, I do miss the south and plan on moving back home within the next year. This is because I live in Springfield (I can't afford to live anywhere else in MA), and the schools are terrible here.
(Try Wilbraham - best schools going, south-bound!)

Something that we all tend to forget is that people are people everywhere. You will have the snoots, the givers, the takers, the snubbers, the friendly-no-matter-how-gloomy-the-days folk.

The world is made up of individuals with individual personalities. Environment can turn a normally laid back person into a tense, impatient person, but it has little to do whether they were born and raised in the South, North, Midwest, or CA, of all places!!

I think that it is a mistake and an injustice when people judge a whole region by the actions of the one Floridian they know or the one guy they work with who was born in TN. New Yorkers are always getting ragged on. Are they all ne'er-do-wells in NYC? I seriously doubt it!!

Let's give peace a chance. Let's give our neighbors from Somewhere, USA a chance. There are good people from everywhere, even MA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts