Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 07:21 AM

19,301 posts, read 9,401,639 times

Advertisements

I don't think any more so than other major metropolitan areas in the U.S.
I've travelled and stayed in places like NYC, Phili, Boston, Washington, DC, Cleveland, Dallas, etc...

Fondly remember a senior high school trip to Boston to see a Red Sox game. Went to the stands to get a couple drinks and striked up a short conversation with a couple guys from the Boston in line. They even bought the drinks [with no strings attached]. I'll always have a warm place in my heart for that city. Sure I've come across some meanies from the city but while I probably can't forget, I will forgive.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:42 PM

30 posts, read 105,430 times
M*******s are rude, obnoxious and have a sense of entitlement unmatched almost anywhere else in the country. And before you flame me, I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN MASSACHUSETTS.

Since leaving in 1991, I have lived in Washington state, VT, RI (same thing as Mass, just dirtier), NH and even Montreal! I have friends in the south and midwest, so I have a bit of experience there as well. So yes, I have been out of metrowest.

My family is still there, and my company has a sister site in Hopkinton. And guess what--they suck and are dragging our company into the toilet! Talk about a bunch of overpaid, inept crybabies! I live in NH and still have to deal with massoles regularly, so these are not old, repressed feelings. (OK, maybe a little).

One of the problems with m*******s is that they see everyone around them scamming the system and getting away with murder (like a Kennedy). So of course they get a chip on their shoulder and want a piece of the action themselves. It turns into a cancer that eats away at their very souls.

In some cases in Montreal I encountered the same level of rudeness and obnoxiousness, but really, even there it didn't seemed as ingrained into them as with m*******s.

As an ex-m******* and proud 10+ years, 2nd-ammedment-supporting citizen of New Hampshire -man-of-the-world, I spare no opportunity to bring awareness to the world about massachusetts.

And another thing about m*******s--They talk funny!!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 AM

14,462 posts, read 11,207,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjsim View Post
M*******s are rude, obnoxious and have a sense of entitlement unmatched almost anywhere else in the country. And before you flame me, I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN MASSACHUSETTS.

Since leaving in 1991, I have lived in Washington state, VT, RI (same thing as Mass, just dirtier), NH and even Montreal! I have friends in the south and midwest, so I have a bit of experience there as well. So yes, I have been out of metrowest.

My family is still there, and my company has a sister site in Hopkinton. And guess what--they suck and are dragging our company into the toilet! Talk about a bunch of overpaid, inept crybabies! I live in NH and still have to deal with massoles regularly, so these are not old, repressed feelings. (OK, maybe a little).

One of the problems with m*******s is that they see everyone around them scamming the system and getting away with murder (like a Kennedy). So of course they get a chip on their shoulder and want a piece of the action themselves. It turns into a cancer that eats away at their very souls.

In some cases in Montreal I encountered the same level of rudeness and obnoxiousness, but really, even there it didn't seemed as ingrained into them as with m*******s.

As an ex-m******* and proud 10+ years, 2nd-ammedment-supporting citizen of New Hampshire -man-of-the-world, I spare no opportunity to bring awareness to the world about massachusetts.

Poor fella. Did you get your behind kicked here? 'Cause that's what it sounds like!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:33 AM

2,201 posts, read 5,330,093 times
Quote:

Pot meet kettle.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:32 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,266,371 times
Why does it seem like so many of these posts are 10% talking about how true it is that everyone in Massachusetts is awful, 90% right wing rant?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:47 AM

50,004 posts, read 63,335,877 times
Wow. This is an old post, so I don't even know if I already posted. I was born and grew up in Worcester and my people are Swedes and English. We are kind of stoic, but not mean or rude...just don't want to prattle on about nothing, and don't care to share our business with strangers.

I have now lived in the midwest for longer than I lived in MA and I have to agree that I've never seen such rude and aggressive drivers as in MA...even in NYC. However, my last trip was to the Cape and Nantucket in Sept. and I did not see any aggressiveness this time.

Having experienced many negative reactions from people who hear I'm from MA, I feel that others perceptions of what we're like is just their preconceived notion and not based on their real experiences.

Don't even get me started on politics. A person who feeds on conservative ideas could starve to death before finding a conservative there.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM

16 posts, read 55,675 times
Okay I've lived in MA for a grand total of 2 months and while I totally agree majority of MA drivers are M***holes, but not all and I for one will not become one. That said I have been stunned when a MA plate car/suv stops to let me out.

I have run into some very friendly people while grocery shopping, shopping at different places, and I've run into the rude ones. The way I see it....if I focus on the rude ones it will get me upset, but if I choose to ignore them and be nice, smile and make someone else have a better day instead then maybe they will "pay it forward" and think of me as not being like other M***holes.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:05 PM

388 posts, read 682,336 times
I just came from Boston and I'm from Texas...quite possibly one the "friendliest" places in the US. However, there are jerks everywhere. Even in Texas. People drive like lunatics here and are mean about it, to boot.

I didn't really get a mean "vibe" when I was in Boston but here's why I think that is so:

I don't like to piddle around. And I don't like conversation just to feel the void. In some of the "friendlier" states people loooove to do this. But they are also nosy and willing to tell you everything. Which is weird sometimes. So, I was okay that not everyone in Boston was saying hello to me as I walked by minding my own business. The few times I asked for directions (rush hour, mind you) everyone was very sweet and eager to help. The same goes for suggestions or places to go...people are very willing to share.

The only thing I encountered was an 80-ish year old gentleman telling me to sit down at a hockey game. I couldn't move with 7 ppl in front of me that were holding the line up, but he wanted to see the game. I just politely told him he didn't need to yell at me and that I couldn't move. He just looked at me. Hee hee. I get it though. Its hockey! ; )

Oh, I think another reason they aren't willing to engage in small talk is b/c its chilly out, at times. They want to get where its warm...and fast!

Overall, I just got a really good-hearted vibe from the city and I LOVED the accents!

Old 12-15-2009, 05:35 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,705,098 times
Quote:

Such a charmer...............Wonder if he/she owns a mirror!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:12 AM

14 posts, read 28,748 times
It's because people have the "I don't give a ****" attitude here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts