Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,652 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Me, my wife and 4mos old son are considering a move from DFW, Tx to the Boston area. Looking for the perfect town or neighborhood. We are extremely flexible, but have some factors that come into play. Hope you guys can help!

- My wife works in the medical field, so somewhere with Hospitals, Doctor's offices, medical centers would be nice. Commuting is not an issue as long as the time is less than an hour.
- I currently work from home, and do not need a job. However, if for some reason I change jobs, I do work in IT, so an area with technology jobs wouldn't hurt.
- Being from Texas, we're used to a cheaper cost of living. Affordability is important to us.
- We're a young family, looking for a community with other young families.
- Looking for down to earth people, not a snooty or elitist community.
- Several people have recommended us moving to a community along 495. They say the cost of living is much cheaper away from the city and there are many more transplant families, like us, that we may have more in common with than natives.
- Some of the towns that have been suggested are Plymouth, Marshfield, Mansfield, Chelmsford.

So which community would you suggest?
Looking forward to hearing yoru suggestions.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Does your wife already have a job lined up? Where is that located? That will help us offer up more specific recommendations because there are big differences in commuting depending on where you need to get to.

Are you looking to rent or buy? What is your budget?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
What is your budget?
This is KEY: how much money can you spend? You will want to spend less...and you'll look at houses at that lower price range, and be shocked at how little that buys you...and then you'll figure how much you're able or willing to spend.

Also, what's your style? There are semi-rural/rural suburbs within a pretty easy commute to Boston...places where people have horses on a few acres, for example, and still commute within an hour (or less). OTOH, there are dense suburbs, and stuff in between. It's different than in Texas; in TX density increase with proximity to downtown. Here in Mass. that is only partially true.

FWIW, I moved to Mass. from TX and love it here.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 5,652 times
No, my wife does not have job lined up, so were flexible there. As far as budget is concerned, were looking at apartments for less than $2200 a month. We don't want rural, definitely a town or dense suburbs.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:41 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staub81 View Post
No, my wife does not have job lined up, so were flexible there. As far as budget is concerned, were looking at apartments for less than $2200 a month. We don't want rural, definitely a town or dense suburbs.
I don't know anything about the rental market; perhaps someone else might.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM

32 posts, read 69,942 times
Stay in Texas. Move to Austin. You'll be happier.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staub81 View Post

Find a job first, post back what town it is in and we can make recommendations on where to live based on that.

Picking a community without having a job lined up first is foolhardy.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
To some extent I agree with gf2020. The layout of the Boston area makes it so there can be a huge difference in ease (or not) and time of commuting depending on where you live relative to the workplace. But based on the info you've provided so far, one question I have is whether you strongly prefer renting a house, or an apartment or condo would work. I know that for the rent you're talking about it's possible to get a variety of apartment rental options, some in apartment buildings, others in sub-divided large older houses, close to Boston, where there will be more options for work in the medical field than there would be in an exurban area where there might be only one hospital in the vicinity.

If the apartment option works for you, one town I would suggest checking out is Newton. The Newton-Wellesley hospital is right in town, and Newton is very convenient for commuting to many of the hospitals in Boston. In terms of Newton's general reputation, going by hearsay, I'd say it's possible that one way it might not fit your criteria pefectly would be your desire for down-to-earth people. However, Newton is a large town, with a population over 80k, and the character of the neighborhoods and the residents varies depending on the part of town, so you might well find an area that could work for you there.

You might also want to take a look at Natick, which is a nice clean middle-class suburban kind of town a bit west of Newton. In the next-door town of Framingham is the MetroWest medical center, and Natick is also in a fairly good location for a commute to many of the hospitals in Boston, though not as close as Newton. This might vary depending on the neighborhood, but I'm pretty familiar with Natick, and generally find it to be a pretty laid back down-to-earth kind of town. I'm not sure what the rents are like on houses, so I really don't know about this, but possibly you could even find a small single-family house for rent in Natick, which is generally a less expensive town than Newton.

These are just a couple of suggestions based on the criteria you have specified. I do agree with gf2020 that people might be able to get into a lot more detail about the best area for you if at some point you can post some info on your wife's likely work location. Best of luck with your search.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Could take a look at the Worcester area. There's the med school and a couple hospitals, plus is cheaper than areas closer to Boston. Still within an hour to Boston though, especially on the east side (Shrewsbury, Northboro, Grafton, etc...)

Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 PM

109 posts, read 324,108 times
On the 495 area (south of Mass Pike), e.g. Franklin, you can get to Newton Wellesley Hospital in an hour, Boston in about the same time (via train or car), Worcester/ Framingham Hospitals, closer. IT - EMC is in Hopkinton on 495. Bellingham (next to Franklin) is cheaper than Franklin, but Franklin is more condensed (not sure if that's the right word). Milford is the largest town in the area, and has a hospital right there, with a new Dana Farber Cancer Center. Maybe a search on medical facilities that offer your wife's speciality would help you eliminate some areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts