Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should National Parks have big wind turbines?
Love industrial towers and noise in parks. 11 64.71%
What are they thinking? That park is mine! 1 5.88%
Stop before it is too late! Peace and Quiet. 6 35.29%
They should be removed from a position of authority! 1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:28 PM

12 posts, read 23,736 times

Advertisements

look at Hard Lesson in Vinalhaven, ME
Opinion: Hard lessons from the Fox Islands Wind Project
before you buy that property near a turbine BTW

See a lot of people are in the wind turbine business for person gain and don't always fully tell the truth.
I can point you to about another 100 stories just like this. If you are with 1-2 miles there are problems.
Many responsible countries are going to at least a 2 km set back, but the wind lobby in the country has prevented that from happening here. The big wind farm out west are 3-5 miles away from people. The greenies in MASS can't be bothered by reality we are going to be green even if it hurt you!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Don Venturen. Man of La Mancha.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
I'm in Wellfleet. This issue is rapidly becoming quite contentious. Should make for an interesting Annual Town Meeting this April.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:14 AM

Cliff, Thank you for the compliment...By the way loved in you in that show you did.
DQ

Old 02-09-2010, 08:22 AM

RichCapeCod, I want the FACTS in the open. I encourage everyone to learn the facts before it is too late. Building two electric systems wind and a shadow system, building over our wild area, all the industrial activity required to build and repair all these towers and wires all over creation, is costing alot and isn't saving any OIL. Zero! The power being replaces is Coal, which is cheap which I agree needs to be replaced, but there are better ways. Problem is those other ways don't make certain people rich! The shadow system to backup the entire wind power for the days it doesn't blow is inefficient and costly. Expect your bill to double or triple in the coming years and because of the nature of Wind Energy you won't prevent much CO2. Those are the facts. Read up and you will be aghast at who is getting rich from this mania! They aren't the kind of people who care much for saving anyone!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:00 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times
http://www.wellfleetma.org/Public_Do...e/Location.jpg

http://www.wellfleetma.org/Public_Do...atus012010.pdf

Town of Wellfleet, MA - Zoning Board of Appeals 10/22/09

http://www.wellfleetma.org/public_do...ne/Funding.pdf

There's a ton of info about this on Google.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:15 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
See, as much as I hate to side with the NIMBYs, I don't think a power structure (even a clean one) has any place in a National Park or protected area.

I don't buy the crap about the noise (I lived near them and know people who put large ones on their own private property), I'm skeptical about the bird killings from ONE windmill (a 5,000 turbine farm, sure... but one windmill? really?), and I hate the "Red Herring" approach of NIMBYs which is ALWAYS laden with hidden agendas (namely, "I don't want it near me"). I loathe that some feel it's apt to call a wind turbine, "an industrial tower." Please. However, it comes down to the fact that this will be placed in the National Seashore and I don't like that.

Build it offshore, build it on town or private property, build it anywhere but preserved land. I want more windmills and farms (I'm a big supporter of Cape Wind), but not in our National Parks.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
See, as much as I hate to side with the NIMBYs, I don't think a power structure (even a clean one) has any place in a National Park or protected area.

I don't buy the crap about the noise (I lived near them and know people who put large ones on their own private property), I'm skeptical about the bird killings from ONE windmill (a 5,000 turbine farm, sure... but one windmill? really?), and I hate the "Red Herring" approach of NIMBYs which is ALWAYS laden with hidden agendas (namely, "I don't want it near me"). I loathe that some feel it's apt to call a wind turbine, "an industrial tower." Please. However, it comes down to the fact that this will be placed in the National Seashore and I don't like that.

Build it offshore, build it on town or private property, build it anywhere but preserved land. I want more windmills and farms (I'm a big supporter of Cape Wind), but not in our National Parks.
It's actually going to be built on town owned land within the boundaries of the park. The park manager, George Price has stated that this area is not within the highly scenic area of the park, so there's no issue with them.

Harwich and Brewster are holding special town meetings and deciding the same issue of whether to go forward with windmill technologies to save money in the long term.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:58 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
^Alright, that clarifies a bit for me, thanks. I remember reading some of the articles on this and it seemed a bit confusing as to whether or not it was IN the park. Some articles referred to it as Town property and others as National Park property. Now I can see that it's... well, both.

I still don't understand how that works though. The town in MA I grew up in (Assonet) had a state forest which was purely state property. I thought National Parks were the same... if it's a designated national park, then it just belongs to the National Park system and not the city/town (though it may lie within a city limits). Does this work the same way that, say, the Whaling District National Historic Park works? That's a "NHP" within city limits and historic buildings are utilized by the city and the private sector in free trade and commerce. There are limitations to development (no razing of historic buildings), but it's allowed to be developed. Maybe the seashore is the same way.

My beef was that I thought the town was taking land from the N.P. System to develop into wind turbines. The fact of the matter is that the town owns the land and it just so happens to be within the park boundaries (correct me if I'm wrong). That being the case, I say go for it and build. Why shouldn't the town be able to do that if they own the land. It's clean energy and it's not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 PM

Coastal Maine have you ever been to the area? There is no hill on Cape Cod higher that 306 ft. This will be viewable from over 10 miles away. Every vista will have a view of the turbine. George Price's viewshed committee says it won't affect the scenery. The "viewshed commission" he charged with deciding what was scenic was 50% made up of the people who are trying to build the turbine. No conflict there. His job by law is to preserve the park from artificial structures. It is stated in the documents for the creation of the Park System and in the LAW creating the Cape Cod National Seashore. Every other National Park doesn't allow them, but one guy Mr George Price is more honest and intelligent than JFK and Ted Roosevelt. You ever think George Price just wants this on his resume? Go look at the the Robbins Report for the NPS if you want to understand his responsibility.
BTW how close are you to the wind turbines you speak of as an expert? As close as the people in Vinalhaven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts