Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,603 times

Advertisements

I am looking for any advice on the Special Education programs of towns such as Weston, Wellesley, Westwood, Lincoln, Dover, etc. Our son has a specific learning disablity (like dyslexia) and we are looking for a new school system that has an excellent program and is also less likely to suffer from significant cuts due to the current economic climate. Any feedback, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 PM

15 posts, read 70,166 times
Newton (although not what it used to be is still very good)..... We lived there for 3 years... professional skilled staff.....built in services..... like everywhere budget cuts.... also still need to advocate for child no matter where you go. Lexington good...... Brookline good/professional/well liked overall.... Westwood..... no (from what I hear) Weston..... good Wellesley good not a diverse population.... Weston..... least likely to suffer budget cuts..... also very $$$$. Call all sped departments and ask how the cuts are going to effect sped services...... they will tell you if they know... I have done lots of research recently..... stay away from south shore.... I have a M.Ed. and understand what is good... I have a son with Down Syndrome, too. If you can afford the above towns, they are worth it.. My advice is to always have a good advocate if you can afford one...... they know how to get the services if necessary..... it is better than waiting for a problem....

Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 PM

107 posts, read 287,185 times
We have friends who have two children with different learning disabilities as well as physical disability issues. They get a great many services as well as the expertise of an educational advocate through the Newman School in Needham. One of the things they told us in dealing with their specific case is that it is not always about the town services overall but, about what specific schools within a town have facilities to offer. They say it is still a challenge to deal with a myriad of health issues in both children but they have been well served by the Newman.

Needham is a very expensive but nice, safe, family centric place to live. When we lived there our children went to a school across town but we have heard all good things about the Newman. I know they are planning physical plant changes that the town is committed to making and has alotted funds for but I can't tell you more at the moment as we have been exiled to the west coast for the next 3-5 months.

best of luck,
gracie

Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 AM

15 posts, read 70,166 times
A lot depends on the specific needs of the child and the programs/expertise that they offer. Some systems like Newton have built in services that other towns have to contract out. You may think that this is no big deal, but coordination of the services (IEP, other meetings) get very difficult to coordinate and lots of communication can get lost. That is my experience. What you really want is a school system where you are serviced in the all the schools in the town.... personnel can be better in other schools in the same town, but the services should be the same. Once you are in a town you usually can be transfered if it warrants it. It can be a lot of work, though and you will probably have to transport them. You want to eliminate as many headaches as possible when taking care of a special needs child. Make sure you check out the school system's budget and ask the sped directors how cuts will effect the sped budget. If they won't talk with you, don't go there. Needham has passed a lot of overrides in the past.... They have a history of budget issues. Sped is all about budget. A child with special needs a neuro psych eval to truly see their needs and appropriate placement. The advocates/doctors in that field know what is best for their clients. They know the child and the programs that schools have to offer. If you are interested try calling ICCD in Canton. They have a fantastic reputation. If you don't want professional/clinical advice......generally speaking..... go by the budget.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 19,205 times
Newton, Wellesley, Wayland, Sudbury, Natick, Hopkinton, Southborough - Which town has good Special Ed program for preschool kid? Really appreciate for any opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts