Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I think the most surprising result came from Cape Cod. Given that the Kennedy clan has such a presence there, it was amazing to me that they (except Provincetown) voted Republican.
Cape Cod is overall pretty conservative, but it sure was amazing that even Hyannisport voted for Brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Quote:
I agree...not so much a Republican statement...but rather an anti-Democrat-agenda statement.
Or perhaps even more, a statement that we don't want either party's leaders becoming focused on serving narrow, powerful interests while ignoring all of us out here all across the country, quietly going about our lives, pursuing our dreams, wanting our lives and those of our friends and family to be everything we can make them be, without interference from self-serving so-called leaders.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:07 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
MA Democrats FAIL big-time. Hope it's a wake up call to Washington that the average US citizen is neither extreme right nor left. Independent Voter: The True Silent Majority.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:42 AM

32 posts, read 147,817 times
I was also surprised about the Hyannis vote, but like a lot of people, probably felt it was time for a change. My hope with all of this, is that maybe these people in office will stop looking at us as little children. Maybe it's just me, but I truly feel that for the most part, the people in office talk down to us, treat us like idiots. As far as I'm concerned, any reasonably intelligent person with a good amount of common sense could do these jobs. It doesn't take a degree from some college to realize if something is good for the country. A good idea is still a good idea, regardless of which side thought of it. Time to stop all of this BS that takes place, all this infighting to try and show which side has the best ideas. Well that's my $.02.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
I think the most surprising result came from Cape Cod. Given that the Kennedy clan has such a presence there, it was amazing to me that they (except Provincetown) voted Republican.
The Cape Cod Times really liked Brown and wrote a really nice editorial in support of him. And they pointed out that he was not against abortion as the Coakley ads lied he was.

I read a piece in the Herald yesterday about how the James Montgomery Band performed for the Brown campaign election night party... even though the musician James Montgomery is FOR health care reform. Basically Montgomery didn't care for the current proposed health care bill and felt that it was fiscally irresponsible. He likes that Brown cares about being fiscally responsible.

I had a discussion with a co-worker about Brown voting against smaller class sizes in the grade schools. I told her that in these tough times with towns having budget problems and laying off town workers, I felt that it wasn't fair to force towns to hire more teachers when other town workers were being laid off. I feel that class sizes should be decided by the townspeople as they have to pay for the teachers' salaries with their property taxes. And even if the state chips in, the money still has to come from somewhere. And I also feel that many parents are not doing enough to help their children do well in school. More parents should be getting involved with their children's homework. Our public schools can't be solely responsible for a child's academic prowess. I think that part of the reason my co-worker was upset is that she just graduated with a teaching degree and if the class size bill had passed, it would be easier for her to find a teaching job. Meanwhile, she currently has a full time job in catering with full health benefits. Another thing that disappoints me about her is that she wants to learn how to bartend, in order to make more money. She complains that the bartending courses cost about $500. I suggested that she pay our bartender to teach her how to mix drinks, since we already have our TIPS certificates. He could use the extra money as we all know that he's looking for a part time job to do on the side. I figured that she could offer him a $100 or so cash for the training. However, she told me that he should teach her for FREE. Unbelievable how some people feel so entitled to getting things just handed to them. I've also since found out that she grew up in the Fresh Pond projects... so that may explain a lot, like how she talks disparagingly about "rich people". I also don't think that she bothered to vote on Tuesday, based on our work schedules that day.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:26 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Or perhaps even more, a statement that we don't want either party's leaders becoming focused on serving narrow, powerful interests while ignoring all of us out here all across the country, quietly going about our lives, pursuing our dreams, wanting our lives and those of our friends and family to be everything we can make them be, without interference from self-serving so-called leaders.
Yeah that my take on it. It's not all about the health care issue, even though that is does play a part. I think as usual the people of mass are showing the electorate/parties that they ain't that safe and can't sit on their Laurel. I look at how many times we have put a republican Governor in this brown thing is nothing new. In fact my guess is that brown get elected again in two years (unless he really screws up) and then get voted out the next time around. Massachusetts (contrary to how other states may view it) actually likes balance (at least a balance in north east terms). At least that what I have observed through the years.

So in essence I'm not surprised my home town of marshfield voted for brown. Most people I know are in marshvegas are economically Conservative and socially Liberal.

Go Rams!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Maybe some of us wanted changes, and one of them was to end the Kennedy era. Honestly, I was never that impressed by any of the Kennedys.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Voting areas with highest % margin for Coaxley

Provincetown 84% vs. 15%
Cambridge 84% vs. 15%
Amherst 84% vs. 15%
Shutesbury 83% vs. 17%
Pelham 82% vs. 17%
Leverett 82% vs. 17%
Wendell 80% vs. 19%
Northhampton 79% vs. 20%
Aquinnah (Martha's Vineyard) 78% vs. 21%
Williamstown 77% vs. 22%
Great Barrington 77% vs. 22%

Remove the university-focused areas and Kennedy territory (more MV than HP these days) and the results are painfully obvious: The Democrat message fails to reach the values of small families, small businesses and small towns. It does not speak for the lower middle class. It does not speak for those without membership to elitist "clubs."

The world has changed since the days of RFK and the heyday of the old liberal. The Democrats seem to have no clue. Surely losing Teddy Kennedy's seat with a 60-40 share at stake and udner a Democratic Presidency? If that is not a rejection of Obamanomics and Obama's Democrat Machine values, I don;t know what is!

And to be defated with a frat boy with virtually no substance in his platform? Amazing.

The midterm elections to come will speak volumes.

S.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:57 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Maybe some of us wanted changes, and one of them was to end the Kennedy era. Honestly, I was never that impressed by any of the Kennedys.
honestly miu I've been hearing the word "change" for about.......what........6 years now. "Change" was used all through the last election cycle...actually it was used during the last midterm elections. Change, change change. And what has changed? Not that much. It the same old same old. The faces change but the game remains the same. Look maybe brown will do something amazing and wow us. But I doubt it. He basically there to show both parties they are not safe from being ousted at any point. Which is a good thing it makes these politicians (a.k.a. scumbags) actually listen to there constituency instead of some lobby that will fork over money and presents to them.
I know I'm very negative....but.....neither party, their platforms, or anyone that is a representative of them are impressing me at all. Basically since I have been allow to vote, it been a choice of who sucks less.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:15 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
I just caught the last comment through the live post area. I am in Texas, and Mass get portrayed as a crazy liberal state.

It's good to see that while there may be some differences here and there - middle class people in TX and Mass are pretty much the same. Let us live life, support our kids and government stay out of our daily affairs.

While many may think that they have no voice, we really do. It takes much effort, but we can be heard. Hopefully all of our "noise" will spawn better candidates who actually care about others more than themselves.

Keep up the good fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts