Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:33 PM

55 posts, read 286,053 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are considering a relocation (from TN) to NE in the next couple years and are doing quite a bit of research on various areas, many of which are in MA, including: Newburyport, Andover and Cape Ann. I'd love any information on what it's like to live in those areas. I know NE in general is very expensive, and the coast is probably even more so. What I'm most interested in is the quality of life...our main hopes for a new home are: a small/medium size town, near/on water (preferably the ocean), with a walkable town center...good education system, nice community, creative atmosphere, SAFE. Do the towns I've mentioned fit those for the most part? Though not in MA our other considerations are: Portsmouth, NH; York/Ogunquit, ME, Stonington/Mystic, CT - if anyone knows anything about any of those, that'd be great.

My one other question is weather - I know it's COLD in the winter. I'd love to know what it's like to live in it...does being on the coast help with the severity? Can winter sports make it more fun? What are the coldest/hardest months? During the winter is it mostly gray/gloomy, or are there a lot of sunny, cold days? Any information would be helpful.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 06:34 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4acadia
Hi,
My husband and I are considering a relocation (from TN) to NE in the next couple years and are doing quite a bit of research on various areas, many of which are in MA, including: Newburyport, Andover and Cape Ann. I'd love any information on what it's like to live in those areas. I know NE in general is very expensive, and the coast is probably even more so. What I'm most interested in is the quality of life...our main hopes for a new home are: a small/medium size town, near/on water (preferably the ocean), with a walkable town center...good education system, nice community, creative atmosphere, SAFE. Do the towns I've mentioned fit those for the most part? Though not in MA our other considerations are: Portsmouth, NH; York/Ogunquit, ME, Stonington/Mystic, CT - if anyone knows anything about any of those, that'd be great.

My one other question is weather - I know it's COLD in the winter. I'd love to know what it's like to live in it...does being on the coast help with the severity? Can winter sports make it more fun? What are the coldest/hardest months? During the winter is it mostly gray/gloomy, or are there a lot of sunny, cold days? Any information would be helpful.

Thank you in advance
January Feb., and March are very cold.
I liked to go ice skating which helped. It seemed that we never had a spring,
summer was way too short, the fall was beautiful. If you like water you could also check out Plymouth and Cape Cod. Andover is very expensive.
I know people who work there however live in New Hampshire.

Scituate is expensive but very safe, and nice.

Newton also is a great place and real safe.

judy

Old 07-26-2006, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 63,860 times
Default North Shore, MA

I grew up in Newburyport, lived and taught in Amesbury, and currently live in Haverhill, MA (15 min away). I loved living in Nbpt, and I would have stayed if it hadn't been so expensive when it came time to purchase my own home. Taxes are also rather high (around 6000k/yr). The town is beautiful and still has a small town feel to it with a gorgeous brick downtown area with boardwalk. If you can afford the 400k+ prices, it is a great place to live (beach is only 5 min. away). Andover is upscale, pricey and another desirable area. Portsmouth, NH is a great town with a good nightlife, restaurants, and close to the beaches. I think all of your choices are good ones, it just depends on what you can afford. Winter is cold - there's no way around it in this region. Snow activities are a must to survive the winter. The northern MA towns are within 1-2 hrs. of skiing, and every town has its sledding hill and skating pond. If you want any additional info on a specific area, just send a private message and I'll try to give you any additional insight I can .

Old 07-27-2006, 08:33 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
You said you know that it's cold. I'll tell you, it's BITTER cold. But some people like it. You won't see much sun for most of the winter. If that doesn't make you depressed than you should be OK. As far as winter sports, if you're into it, you'll love northern Mass or Maine or NH. Lots of places to ski, snowboard, etc.. Most places you listed are really nice, however *extremely* expensive. This seems to be a huge change for you, as far as climate, culture and financial. Make sure you're prepared for it. Good Luck.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4acadia
Hi,

Thank you in advance
Hello, Reading over your post, if you are wishing to move, and in 3 to 4 years?

The area you wish is EXPENSIVE, now then?

Also, will you work, need schools, etc., that needs to be factored into it.

The beach etc., the North Shore water is cold, cold, cold

Cape Cod it is warmer once over the bridge. Yes there are many dark and gloomy days. If you enjoy history, walking, even try to skate etc.,
Newton is nice, yes money, but you can always drive to a beach etc. If kids are in school etc., as I did say summer is way too short. New Hampshime, the real estae taxes are high, Maine, they tax you to enjoy cold, and do not forget the cost of heat. I do think I would visit alot in this time period, then decide.

Me, I love Boston, just had not the money! Plymouth also would be worth checking out. They have transportation into Boston, and you are near the ocean. judy

Old 07-28-2006, 05:57 AM

Default relocation

Thank you, Maggiekate, for your post.
We'd actually like to move either next year, or at the latest, the year after...and if the housing market begins to dip, as they predict, we'd hope to get in at a good time. But we're still very aware of how expensive it is. We have only been in TN for 6 six years - came from FL, where the housing market exploded. A house we built for about 400-450k is now selling (not by us, unfortunately) for a million - crazy!! We won't make a move until we feel confident financially. We both work from home, so commuting and jobs aren't issues. We do need good schools - have one toddler and that's very important to us...one of the reasons we like the northeast compared to the south. I do worry about the winters...I'm not fooling myself about that. But as for the beach - we've vacationed in Bar Harbor several times and I actually like the rocky coast more than the flat sandy coast...and though I wouldn't spend much time IN the water, just being near or on it would be wonderful. I grew up in a small coastal town in FL, but really don't want to return to the heat, and my skin can't handle the tropics anymore, so we're considering trading the heat for the cold.

I won't deny it though...it's interesting that so many posters on this and other forums don't seem very taken with their home states in the NE - a little concerning, but I know we would have to try it for ourselves. If it doesn't fit us, then we move again.

BTW...where do you live?

Thanks again.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:38 AM

Default boston

i am now in florida, have been here 8 years now. Florida is getting expensive now.

judy

Old 07-29-2006, 03:18 PM

39 posts, read 175,783 times
4acadia- I would look into Marblehead/Swampscott. Beach town, cute walkable dowtown, GREAT school district, low crime, train into boston. $$ but you can find something at a decent price.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:20 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times
I just happened across this post...Funny though I met somebody that had relocated to Mass from Tenn about a yr ago. I was in Boston for business, and took a day trip up to Gloucester, our waitress at a seaside restaurant we ate at was from Tenn. Anyway, we struck up a conversation because she realized I was from the South. Her parents had relocated from somewhere in Eastern Tenn while she was in high school to Gloucester, and she was currently in college somewhere in Boston. I think she was 22, and she had moved when she was 16...???Anyway to make a long story short, she absolutely loved it there. The only thing she said she liked better about the South was the people, other than that, she absolutely loved Gloucester.
It really is a very beautiful, but VERY EXPENSIVE, place!

Old 07-30-2006, 05:43 PM

Default relocation

Thanks everyone for your posts. Just spent the weekend in my hometown of FL and though I loved it, it confirmed that I just can't take the heat anymore. Can I take the cold? I'll just have to see. If anyone can and will share...what is the minimum you think someone needs to earn in a year to live in a MA coastal town (North Shore) comfortably? From what I've seen I'm guessing a 1700 sq. ft house that is updated will be a min. of 500-600k...but there's much more to consider I realize. A ballpark of annual income would be helpful.

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts