Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 AM

325 posts, read 924,579 times

Advertisements

Don't give up on Northampton too soon.
It has been described as 25 square miles surrounded by reality. It is really a differnt culture out here.

Recycling is required by local law (since 1988). plus, how many places have trash collection by bike? Pedal People

"This small city offers more restaurants and shops, certainly more galleries, theaters and performance venues than most urban centers dozens of times its size. Add two rivers, mountain views, landscaped parks and meadow walks, and you begin to see why people call it paradise."
- -The Boston Globe

"Northampton combines the cultural breadth of a major metropolis ... with the low-key sensibility of a small borough." - -National Geographic Adventure

The city is now getting rail service too: http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/vermonter_rail_line_gets_70_mi.html

Last edited by wmass; 01-29-2010 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augbogal View Post
My husband and I (mid 30's professionals) are looking for a place to live between Albany NY, Providence RI, and Southern NH. ...Any help is greatly appreciated!
Newton, Mass.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,098 times
Check out Ipswich, Manchester-By-The-Sea. These are small towns with regular commuter rail to Boston (well under an hour) and nice town centers, close to nature but close to cultural stuff too.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 27,066 times
Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. I will check out the suggested areas once I'm there.

I found a short term rental in downtown Gloucester. I'm thinking of using it as a base from which to explore the areas in March/April. Will the town feel like a ghost town that time of year? Or are there local residents that keep the place alive, albeit peaceful, year round? What time do the streets roll up at night?

Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. I will check out the suggested areas once I'm there.

I found a short term rental in downtown Gloucester. I'm thinking of using it as a base from which to explore the areas in March/April. Will the town feel like a ghost town that time of year? Or are there local residents that keep the place alive, albeit peaceful, year round? What time do the streets roll up at night?
Well, it's certainly not a ghost town, but the streets roll up fairly early in any event. Of the 350 towns and cities in Massachusetts not named "Boston," this is the case in all but about 5 or 10. Except for the usual keeping indoors due to colder weather, there's not really any difference in downtown Gloucester at different times of the year. It's not a resort kind of place where the population swells in the summer, though on summer weekends there are day-trippers coming for whale watch cruises or the like.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 AM

100 posts, read 295,315 times
Marblehead Old Town

Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Gloucester has its share of bars, but not "European," just plain old drinking.
It's a reasonable place rom which to explore nearby towns, but it is at the end of Cape Ann, so you always have to leave the tip of the peninsula to look around. If you want to look a little further afield (west of Gloucester) it can be a clunky drive.
Who knows, maybe you'll enjoy Gloucester for itselfl! Rocky Neck is a very artsy little area. Eastern Point is gorgeous (although no one can live there that works for a living). A beautiful drive. Good Harbor Beach. Plenty of beauty to check out. Not a lot of European villages as I understand them.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 27,066 times
Several have mentioned the "townies" and drinking in Gloucester. Is "townie" a negative term? Are the bars a problem? Will I come home to stumbling drunks on the street if I get a place on Main St? Is Newburyport similar or a little more upscale?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:25 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,299,411 times
Quote:
Several have mentioned the "townies" and drinking in Gloucester. Is "townie" a negative term?
Depends on whom you ask. Given your description of what you're looking for, I get the impression you might not like an overwhelmingly townie vibe. Downtown Gloucester seems to me more townie than professional or artsy. Not so much that it would be a problem, but it's more blue-collar, local and down-to-earth than artsy or sophisticated. More neighborhood shops than boutiques, though there are some cuter stores.

Quote:
Are the bars a problem? Will I come home to stumbling drunks on the street if I get a place on Main St?
You're not likely to run into stumbling drunks on Main St. I'm not sure you'd really see too many pedestrians on Main St. in Gloucester at all later in the evening. I'm not sure this will make you feel better, but I have the impression many of the folks coming out of Gloucester's bars are driving themselves home, or having someone do it.

I don't think Gloucester is more of a "drinking town" than most other larger, non-dry towns in the area. I think the reference was to make clear it's not really a place with a lot of European-style cafes where people go for a drink or two, but rather has your standard indoor American bars where people hang out all night.

Quote:
Is Newburyport similar or a little more upscale?
I'd say it is more upscale in the downtown area. Gloucester has upscale areas, but as I may have mentioned before, they tend to be the more far-flung woodsy coastal areas (Eastern Point, Annisquam) rather than downtown.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,235 times
If you have a chance, check out Concord, which I would characterize as a 'charming village.' Because it's rather small, though, I don't know if you'll be able to find the housing you want within walking distance.
Concord is on a commuter line to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts