Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM

104 posts, read 282,763 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are a young family looking to relocate from the West Coast. We have been struggling to make a decision on where to move. So many places and so far so many deciding factors. I almost want to give up. We have ruled out New Jersey due to either High Crime or High Rent, and New York we have Discovered that Albany, NY is a possibility. We originally we going to move to Providence but have decided that the rent might be too high for us. We love the city though but haven't been able to find much. We have found places in upstate New York but the Crime is too high; For example, we researched in Buffalo which had great rent prices but it seems a bit Dangerous and same with Rochester. Boston is way out of our price range and recently we have came across WORCESTER, MA which seems almost perfect. The crime isn't horrendous, it is located close to Boston and within driving distance to NYC. The rent is cheap as well is there a catch or is this true. I have read many post about Worcester and haven't found much negative, so in your opinions for a young family (24 years old, 24 and 1) both Full-time students and will be looking for part-time work. Would this be a good decision. We love a mid-size to bigger city that is lively and has entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:01 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Schultz View Post
We love a mid-size to bigger city that is lively and has entertainment.
This is where you'll find a catch. Worcester, on paper, is a mid size city. However, it's so close to Boston, Providence, etc that it's really a secondary satellite city in a larger region. Because of this, it's not the primary destination in the area for entertainment and "life."

Don't get me wrong, Worcester isn't dead. Not by a looooong shot. There are occasionally national concert tours that pass through Worcester and there are minor league sports as well as bars, restaurants, etc. However, all that is diluted a little bit more than you'd find in more independent cities Worcester's size. The primary destinations in the area for entertainment are still Providence and Boston.

I would lock up a job before moving unless you have a lot of money saved up. A commute from Worcester-Boston daily is doable, but not fun at all. Still, I would recommend having something set in stone before moving.

As you said, Worcester has advantages. You noted the location... good access to other areas in the region (NH, VT, Boston, NYC, PVD, etc). It's not a bad city at all. good luck.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:25 PM

325 posts, read 924,708 times
You can do much better than Worcester. It's not a particularly attractive city.
There are many small towns around that are just a few minutes to the city, but are more pleasant to live in IMHO. I would choose Springfield over Worcester if you want to live in a city, I'd prefer Providence if you can afford it.

Depending on your job location also check out Northampton, MA West Hartford, CT Burlington, VT Portsmouth, NH Portland, ME

Old 02-26-2010, 03:50 PM

100 posts, read 295,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Schultz View Post
Hello, we are a young family looking to relocate from the West Coast. We have been struggling to make a decision on where to move. So many places and so far so many deciding factors. I almost want to give up. We have ruled out New Jersey due to either High Crime or High Rent, and New York we have Discovered that Albany, NY is a possibility. We originally we going to move to Providence but have decided that the rent might be too high for us. We love the city though but haven't been able to find much. We have found places in upstate New York but the Crime is too high; For example, we researched in Buffalo which had great rent prices but it seems a bit Dangerous and same with Rochester. Boston is way out of our price range and recently we have came across WORCESTER, MA which seems almost perfect. The crime isn't horrendous, it is located close to Boston and within driving distance to NYC. The rent is cheap as well is there a catch or is this true. I have read many post about Worcester and haven't found much negative, so in your opinions for a young family (24 years old, 24 and 1) both Full-time students and will be looking for part-time work. Would this be a good decision. We love a mid-size to bigger city that is lively and has entertainment.
Weather warning.
The closer you stay to the water the milder the Winters in the NE. Worcester has a lot of snow, whereas Providence and towns around the water in RI and southern MA do not, Spring comes a few weeks early and Fall last a few weeks longer.

Buffalo is a dying city. If you are not being forced to move there, forget it. Most new comers to Buffalo live in the Clarence area. Good schools and away from the city. UB is a good school.

Albany is another mistake. Forget it unless you are going to Union or RPI, All of upstate NY is cold, cloudy, and snowy most days in the Winter, spring comes late and Winter comes early.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,265 times
If a family-friendly lifestyle and lots of things to do within a small budget is your biggest concern, I would start looking into midwestern cities instead. The cost of living is much, much lower and you'll find plenty of things to do. You'll also probably find more "young" parents in the midwest, as well. Cinci? Columbus? I used to live in Cleveland and loved it but I've heard it's been hit hard by the downturn. I don't know that you'll find what you're looking for in Worcester...

Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,084 times
Yes, anywhere you go make sure you have jobs secured before you go. I saw you on the CT boards asking about Waterbury. Worcester over Waterbury any day. Worcester has some nicer areas, definitely somewhat of a nightlife. But as the other poster said, if you are strapped for cash you may want to look at other places besides the northeast. I suggest looking into Dallas.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:12 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,149 times
Schools are generally more abundant and of better quality as you go east and north in the US. That's the good news about new England. With that said, the COL is pretty high in the Northeast. Why not pick a mid-size city in the central part of the country that's given a boost by a university? Madison, Ann Arbor, Louisville, Nashville, Columbus, etc.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:22 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
We're in the same boat. From Long Island, moved to VT but the living is too hard here (no job for me in over 1.5 years), COL too high.

We're considering outside Worcester as it would be an easy move, near major cities again (Thank God) and more to do than Vermont, better education.

It's hard to know where to go and finding a job out of state is a major problem. We have a child (school age) to consider and are tired of moving. We had to move 3 times in Vermont due to 'landlords' and 'tenant problems.'

I want to avoid places with a tourist based economy.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 AM

104 posts, read 282,763 times
Hopefully it gets better and you guys find a place. So far Worcester seems like a negative but I have been looking into Syracuse which has a low COL and the rent prices are great! But who knows maybe my bubble will get busted.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 PM

68 posts, read 553,749 times
Hi,

Is there a reason you're looking almost exclusively at big cities? With most bigger areas, you're bound to get higher taxes, slightly higher crime and the absence of quiet rural neigbhorhoods.

I live about a half hour's distance from Worcester and I can tell you I wouldn't recommend moving there. It's definitely not a dead city - but I think it's a place you can easily commute to from area towns if you want to experience some of the museums, music halls, restaurants etc (Worcester has my favorite seafood and sushi restaurant in a 100 mile radius!). My in laws live in Worcester - born and raised - my husband grew up there. He's a wonderful man, but we both wouldn't ever buy property there. If you visited and absolutely fell in love - I'd suggest sticking to the West side of the city.

Rents are cheap because they are likely in bad neighborhoods. Anything near Worcester 'south' - steer clear! Some of the schools aren't the best, either.

I think there are so many quaint and wonderful towns in New England - what about smaller places like Barrington, RI, Southborough, Mass., Auburn, Maine the Connecticut Lichfield hills,. .. even the Cape!

Also, having spent 22 years in Connecticut I can ASSURE you, Waterbury is not place you want to move to!

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts