Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any opinions on this builder out of Rutland, MA?

They are building some homes in Charlton, MA we are interested in at the Curtis Hill Estates subdivision off of Rt. 31. It's near Railroad Pond. It appears by looking at Google Maps there is a railroad that runs behind the subdivision. Does anyone know for sure and how often the train runs? Where would I find this information?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM

well... in case anyone is looking at this in the future.. I talked to my father in law who says Blair is a reputable builder and they build a nice house. I've been in an older house Blair built in Rutland and it's quite decent compared to a Mutual Builder's house I've been in that was probably built in the same decade.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
You probably aren't going to receive much feedback here because they are local and not a national builder. For what it's worth, I looked them up on the Better Business site where their rating is B plus. They seem to have a complaint by the Attorney General regarding runoff issues on one development, but I don't see any complaints regarding the quality of homes, etc.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 AM

Blair might be a local builder, but he usually builds neighborhoods. Not like the other local builders I've run across. He's pretty well known. Even I have heard of him. He's been building for years in Rutland. I don't know of any national builder that is building in the areas I'm looking in. I tend to shy away from national builders anyway because they do not put the quality in the houses I'm looking for. Currently living in a house built by K. Hovanian home (renting) & it leaves a lot to be desired. A nice house by most accounts, but it's the small stuff that bugs me & lack of attention to detail and thoroughness.

I thought for sure someone here lived in Rutland/Holden where Blair does most of their building could comment on their home and the quality they felt Blair brings to the table or doesn't.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
This member, sells homes in central Mass. and is most likely familiar with the builder. Maybe send her a message?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,689 times
I live in the Holden area, and I've never heard anything bad about them; but have no first hand experience. Funny you're currently in Cary,NC and moving here. If we ever moved from here, it would be to Cary someday (family there). Good Luck with your move!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:23 AM

Thanks for posting. I actually just got back from a visit to MA & stayed in a Blair House! One he built like 30 years ago. It was a small ranch in Rutland. It's a great house and has held up well.

We probably are not buying a Blair house... The one I was interested in has a 6 month build time and I need something for July. There is still one other one in Charlton that's framed and sided that could be a possibility. The problem with it however is that it's been framed and sided for a couple of years! Neighbors all say to stay away from it. I'm thinking big bargain, but waiting to see if another option works out first.

We moved from MA to Cary 4 years ago and can't wait to get back to be near family in MA. I love it here tho. It's great. Very nice and affordable housing. Moving back is depressing when it comes to the house hunt.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:10 AM

404 posts, read 1,195,256 times
I would believe the neighbors as they have all probably watched what has been going on with the Charlton home. We used to live in Worcester, just over the Holden line, in a subdivsion built by Pulte Homes. A different developer built 8 additional homes in this subdivsion on land Pulte would not build upon due to water issues. Each of the other developers homes had cracked foundation issues. Those of us in Pulte Homes knew this about the other builder and we tried to warn the folks who asked us about them. Each of them had many issues with their homes. The people I know who are in Blair homes seem to like them, We had one of their painters paint the interior of our house a few years ago and he told us our home had fewer stress fractures than Blair's. Good luck in your search. Rutland and Holden both have some great homes.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 AM

Oh we believe the neighbors. That is why we haven't pursued it along with it being over our budget. Just to clarify tho for anyone coming along reading this in the future - The house was not initially built by Blair. Seems Blair gave a mortgage to a builder & they had to foreclose on him & obtained the property that way. Blair said he had been there through the building process tho. The house is framed & sided and has been sitting for over 2 years now. We would not make a move on that house without an inspection before we even made an offer. Not looking for headaches and problems.

From what I can gather Blair has a good reputation, but other than an Aunt who bought a house 30 years ago, I haven't had any first hand testimony.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:42 PM

28 posts, read 73,349 times
Hi we are thinking about building with Blair, we actually gave a fully refundable deposit on a plot of land in what will be known as Lambs Pond Estates. Originally it was listed as Curtis Hill Estates but we were told that that subdivision will be across the road and this neighborhood is off of 31 behind a couple of houses basically between Railroad Pond and Lambs Pond. I saw earlier that you asked about a railroad tracks, to my knowledge, there is no train activity back there. If you have anything to add I would appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts