Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 18,107 times

Advertisements

I am a first-time homebuyer looking in the MetroWest area (I will commute to Boston for work). I have a budget of 220K, and I've found a home I like in Milford. What are your thoughts/opinions of the area? If you have lived there previously or do live there now, would you still recommend it? I'd be living alone (unless I can find a decent roommate) and I'm female, so safety is a high priority. Also, I plan on re-selling in 5-7 years, so I don't want to "get stuck" with a property I can't unload. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 07:34 PM

109 posts, read 324,061 times
I personally don't think you should buy something today with the plan on re-selling in 5-7 years, because nobody knows what the market is going to do. A lot of people got caught in that, getting interest-only loans, balloon payment loans, etc., expecting the marketing to appreciate, and now are under water. But this is my own personal opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt. There are some great houses out there, and great loans, if you find a house that you love, in a location that you love, that works for you, WONDERFUL!!! Best of luck with everything.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-07-2010 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,402 times
I'd recommend checking out Milford's crime rates compared to neighboring communities: //www.city-data.com/city/Milford-Massachusetts.html#ixzz0heVmhGcC

for ex: City-data's crime index (higher number means higher crime, U.S. average = 320.9)
Franklin 16.5
Holliston 37.3
Medway 51.2
Milford 159.9
(This is a few years old but gives you some idea.)

You could also call the local police department if you have questions about a specific neighborhood. They most likely won't tell you whether they consider it a safe area or not but many police departments nowadays keep trend data online that they'll share.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,402 times
ps. If you have an iPhone, there's an application you can buy for 99 cents called iCrimeAware that allows you to check crime stats based on location.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
I'd recommend checking out Milford's crime rates compared to neighboring communities: //www.city-data.com/city/Milford-Massachusetts.html#ixzz0heVmhGcC

for ex: City-data's crime index (higher number means higher crime, U.S. average = 320.9)
Franklin 16.5
Holliston 37.3
Medway 51.2
Milford 159.9
(This is a few years old but gives you some idea.)

You could also call the local police department if you have questions about a specific neighborhood. They most likely won't tell you whether they consider it a safe area or not but many police departments nowadays keep trend data online that they'll share.
Hi;
I was raised in franklin,though have not lived there in many years...even back then,Milford was a 'pit' and a no go place,for the most part....though it did have the first McDonald's in the area(: (Shows you how rural it was just 30 yrs ago)....I think Holliston has gotten much worse,b/c it was more of a shi/shi area,and still has areas that are....Medway was/is infinitely better than Milford,but still never found it's own identity. Franklin has both the commuter rail and Dean college,plus a downtown and commons area that used to have a theater,etc. so it has/had more of a solid town feeling. Milford has always been former industrial/mill town feel that is a small city. Not to be too stereotypical,but even then,it was an immigrant town with the requisite problems of drugs and crime.
I actually read this thread b/c i was curious how it's changed-but judging from the stats someone has posted,I can see: Not much.
Even with whole foods and the like next door in bellingham/blackstone,[which btw were not great towns back then,either,but were fairly safe overall],Milford's reality hasn't changed much.

Have you looked into Salem or other north shore-ish areas? Also,due east of boston-harvard,ma,etc.? Not sure what those towns are doing price wise these days...but they may be both closer for commute and more desireable places to live for a single family,who wants re-sale value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts