Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 12:45 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times

Advertisements

I live in Chicago, but my roots are in Mass. and I am looking for a summer place on the cape in a town that is a decent investment to boot. Not too ritzy, but comfortable. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Osterville is the ritziest section of Barnstable but it's not pretentious since a lot of the people there are either old money or retired business owners or executives. I was just there the other day and it's one of my favorite places on the Cape. You'll definitely pay a decent amount for a place there but the downtown area is nice and quaint and the people are generally friendly.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I live in Chicago, but my roots are in Mass. and I am looking for a summer place on the cape in a town that is a decent investment to boot. Not too ritzy, but comfortable. Any suggestions?
My suggestion would be to go to the Cape and spend two weeks at least, just driving around and seeing which area of the Cape you prefer, and then, specifically which town within that area.

The Cape is generally thought of as three areas. The Upper Cape, the Mid-Cape, and the Lower Cape. Anything west of Barnstable is thought to be the Upper, Barnstable area towns, as well as Yarmouth and Dennis are thought of as the Mid-Cape, and from Brewster/Harwich to Provincetown is considered the Lower Cape. Within these areas are little towns that each have their own unique feel.

It's too generalized to just say, oh yah, go buy a place in Mashpee. lol

Good luck!

After you've checked out the area, come back and ask more questions.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
My suggestion would be to go to the Cape and spend two weeks at least, just driving around and seeing which area of the Cape you prefer, and then, specifically which town within that area.

The Cape is generally thought of as three areas. The Upper Cape, the Mid-Cape, and the Lower Cape. Anything west of Barnstable is thought to be the Upper, Barnstable area towns, as well as Yarmouth and Dennis are thought of as the Mid-Cape, and from Brewster/Harwich to Provincetown is considered the Lower Cape. Within these areas are little towns that each have their own unique feel.

It's too generalized to just say, oh yah, go buy a place in Mashpee. lol

Good luck!

After you've checked out the area, come back and ask more questions.
I agree with you. The Cape towns each have their own little villages that differ from each other.

If your heart is set on Osterville or the surrounding area there are some great places. Personally, I view the Lower Cape as having a true Cape Cod feel. They are towns with small populations in the offseason and I find less touristy than most Mid Cape towns, not many chain restaurants or stores, and still have the old fashioned charm. Plus most of the business owners grew up on the Cape and are passionate about maintaining the Cape Cod charm. Wellfleet, Eastham, Orleans, and Chatham get my vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts