U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 10,518 times

Advertisements

i LIVE IN THE CARRIBEAN AND WANT TO GO TO MASSACUSSETES TO LIVE PERMANENTLY i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT AREA IS GOOD AND NOT TOO EXPENSIVE WIT SOME GOOD PUBLIC SCOOLS AROUND
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:17 PM

17 posts, read 105,622 times
I hope you have a lot of money. Its expensive here. If you need cheap you'd have to live is western MA - but good luck! Its still expensive.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 AM

942 posts, read 1,250,437 times
Exactly, Many Many people leave Massachusetts as well as New England due to the ridiculous cost of living. I would dare to say more leave over how expensive it is, than those that leave over dislike for the climate. There is really no excuse for the high cost of living there, it is nice but simply put it is not a place that would warrant that expense.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 AM

10,203 posts, read 26,167,238 times
When you compare COL to salaries, Western Massachusetts is very expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinOuttaHereMA View Post
I hope you have a lot of money. Its expensive here. If you need cheap you'd have to live is western MA - but good luck! Its still expensive.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:08 AM

967 posts, read 4,604,513 times
Yes, the cost of living is high but I think it all depends on what you consider not too expensive and what you're looking for in a community. If you need to be close to Boston, prices are crazy. Further out from there there are pockets where you can certainly get a nice apartment or home. People coming here from many parts of the US do have sticker shock. I don't know what prices are like in the Carribean so it's hard to say.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 66,125 times
It depends on how much money you will be making because boston is very expensive as the other posters have said.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:23 PM

942 posts, read 1,250,437 times
It has always been a commuting world especially in eastern Mass, and the commutes kept getting longer and longer as people had to move further away from the Boston area to try and escape the high cost. Now people commute from RI and NH and those areas are no longer a bargain at all. Unless one is at a high income and can handle the costs of a place like Mass, I would seriously consider the decision becasue it is a hard life if your commuting long long distances every day, and your housing costs are still high even when your 50 miles away from Boston, and that is what life is like there. Please don't think anyone is trying to scare you away from moving there, but the cost is really something one has to put at the top of their list when considering moving there.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:36 AM

4,461 posts, read 7,301,283 times
Just a few comments on the 'ridiculous' costs of living in New England.

Median price cost of a single family home in Portland Oregon is close to 300K

Ashland Oregon is over 400K

Aside from Boston; all of New England is in fact cheaper for real estate then Portland Or and Seattle Washington (375K)

Also Oregon has no sales tax- but some of the highest real estate taxes in the nation. Also the median income is higher in Mass as compared to Oregon- the ability for the average person in Oregon to buy a home in Portland Or is less then that of Boston; unless they cash out from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: