Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 PM

30 posts, read 133,404 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are planning to move either to the Boston or Providence area. We want to plan a trip up there to check the areas out. Does anyone have any recommendations for an area between Boston or Providence that is relatively inexpensive? Any advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:52 PM

107 posts, read 287,256 times
Dedham is about 45min. from Providence and 30-45 min. into Boston depending on traffic, mass transit "T" use, and specific locations. There is a comfortable Holiday Inn off Exit 15B of Rt. 128 that used to have a shuttle into certain areas of Boston and the train station. With budget cuts, I don't know if they still run that service.

Sorry, I don't know too much about Providence proper. We usually head down James Town way when in RI.

Hope this is helpful.
Have a good trip
gracie

Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 PM

30 posts, read 133,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie09 View Post
Dedham is about 45min. from Providence and 30-45 min. into Boston depending on traffic, mass transit "T" use, and specific locations. There is a comfortable Holiday Inn off Exit 15B of Rt. 128 that used to have a shuttle into certain areas of Boston and the train station. With budget cuts, I don't know if they still run that service.

Sorry, I don't know too much about Providence proper. We usually head down James Town way when in RI.

Hope this is helpful.
Have a good trip
gracie
Thank you!!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 PM

11 posts, read 46,177 times
What is your definition of inexpensive ? I would consider Dedham to be more expensive than Hanover, Rockland, Whitman, Norwood etc and they are more equidistant between Boston and Providence. Lots of employment on the south shore, but communications can be slow as the highways are heavy with traffic.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
The Dedham Hilton overlooks the highway, but not sure if that's above your budget. It's about 25 min. to Boston, and 30 min. to Pvd. Dedham has a Fairfield Marriott, close to the new Legacy Place shopping/lifestyle center (huge Whole Foods Market, L.L. Bean, etc.)

The Quincy Marriott is nice, up on a hill, 15 min. to Boston, maybe 35 min. to Providence. Nearby Braintree has a Sheraton, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn and Candlewood Suites.

Foxboro (Mass.), where the Patriots play, has hotels, and is a great local for your visit. The new Patriot Place has nice shopping, restaurants and cinema. Even has the Patriots Hall of Fame as well as an ice skating rink in the winter. Not sure of the hotel names, but it may be a good spot for your visit..

Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I think the Rennaissance Hotel in Foxboro at Patriot Place is a cool, relatively affordable place to stay. It's perfectly located between Providence and Boston. It sits on a pedestrian mall lined with shops that winds its way down to Gillette Stadium and the Patriots Hall of Fame. I'm assuming you're coming before next fall (when season is in) so rates should be lower (unless there's a concert or even a Revolution game the nights you plan to stay. You will also have access to all sorts of shops and restaurants and still be close enough to either city and their suburbs. You also have some commuter rail options nearby if you don't feel like driving in Boston. Walpole's station on the Franklin line is about 4 miles from the hotel. This will get you to Boston easily. If you want to take the train to Providence, the Mansfield Station is about 5 miles away. Check out the MBTA website for train info (good for subways buses, water taxis, etc too). The Walpole stop is on the Franklin Line and the Mansfield stop is on the Providence Line.

Of course, there are an abundance of affordable hotels between both cities, but Foxboro provides some interesting activities all by itself. There's also a Holiday Inn Express in Foxboro. Basically, if you look at a map, anything along I-95 between both cities will give you good access. Even better on a weekend when traffic is light.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 7,187 times
Above are all great ideas. The only problem with being in the middle is that you arnt in either place you want to be. I would stay in Boston and make the trip to providence. Its about an hour, but a nice ride. Give Newton or Natick a try too, both are mintues from Boston and less $$ then staying downtown and both have transpertaion to the city. They are both closer to I95 which is a direct route to Providence. Good luck

Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
The Marriott chain has places anywhere on that route from Providence to Boston. I believe there are Marriotts in Franklin, Norwood etc.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Good advice from livefortravel10-- you'd have a lot more fun staying right in Boston, where you can walk out in the evening and take in the scene, rather than in some suburban noplace. Then take the convenient T trains to Providence for a look-see.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM

53 posts, read 152,477 times
Anyplace along ROute 1 would be good. Norwood should be pretty inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts