Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:26 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajennie View Post
some people have no manors
It is due to the diffculty of their daily struggle for existence that the "manorless" of Mass. sometimes get testy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 02:31 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
packedandready: You worry too much. Massachusetts is a great state and the people are real. What I mean by "real" is that they don't feel the need to be "happy" every minute of every day. I grew up in Texas and am THRILLED to no longer live in an area of the country where people are robotically "nice" and "happy" and bouncy. Yuck. Who wants to live in Munchinkinland? Not me. If you require that people around you be "happy" all the time, you will be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you can go with the flow and enjoy what Massachusetts has to offer, you'll be fine. As for being in the military, I don't think anybody really cares--at least, nobody I know would care. The bit about the driving is true, though: don't expect people to be "nice" on the road.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Taxes: On the surface, they seem ok, but property tax overrides, excise taxes, use fees and other hidden fees earn it the well deserved name of "Taxachusetts". I just paid almost $70 to get my son his driver's license and $40 to renew mine. His learner's permit was $30.
The Taxachusetts label is completely unjustified. Mass. is absolutely nothing compared to New York City. I personally would bring home almost $1000 a month more if I had the same salary in Massachusetts. The RMV fees don't seem that bad to me. In NY it's $50 to renew a driver's license, and the permit/first time license is comparable to Mass. And while there's no car excise tax, I was quoted $4800 a year to insure a car and I'm 32 with a clean record. It's not uncommon for property taxes even in more modest suburbs to be well over $10,000 for a small house. In some towns a 4-BR house will come with a tax bill over $20,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Massachusetts is the most liberal place I've ever lived. It doesn't bother me, but it drives my conservative hubby nuts. Cambridge is the hotbed of liberalism.
At least there's someplace left where conservatives are driven nuts.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:43 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
The Taxachusetts label is completely unjustified. Mass. is absolutely nothing compared to New York City. I personally would bring home almost $1000 a month more if I had the same salary in Massachusetts. The RMV fees don't seem that bad to me. In NY it's $50 to renew a driver's license, and the permit/first time license is comparable to Mass. And while there's no car excise tax, I was quoted $4800 a year to insure a car and I'm 32 with a clean record. It's not uncommon for property taxes even in more modest suburbs to be well over $10,000 for a small house. In some towns a 4-BR house will come with a tax bill over $20,000.

At least there's someplace left where conservatives are driven nuts.
Regarding your last statement: LOL!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 PM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I was in the Army Reserve during Gulf I and lived in Cambridge, home of "Free Tibet" and "No Blood for Oil" stickers. I remember one day going out to dig out my car in uniform to go to drill, and a woman came running out of a house with a "peace dove" flag flying and helped me push the car out.
Offhand, I think people hate the war (and Bush) and honor the military. I think everyone understands the difference, and feel for the military people who (I think) have been used and abused by the politicans, and have done their best and honorable job in an impossible situation.
There is no longer as large a military presence, especially since Ft. Devens closed, but I hardly think anyone would be rude because you are military.
I also don't quite know where you got such a fear of people being so cold and rude. I certainly hope it's a mis-stereotype and not from experience.
I used to take the train to downtown Boston and walked across the Common (city park center). I could always tell who tourists were, as they had maps out and were ready to walk into the Combat Zone (then the red-light area of Boston). I always offered to help them find something, just to help (I'd want the help) and to dispel the rude, cold stereotype. People always wanted to find Faneuil Hall, the "Cheers" bar (Bull n' Finch's facade) and the waterfront, so it was pretty easy to direct them. I would also suggest they skip the theatre district, as it wasn't much to see and you had to cross the Combat Zone to get there.
I sincerely hope you have a good experience here in New England. I haven't experienced the behavior the OP fears, and when I've been up in Maine or New Hampshire or somewhere, no one knows I'm not from their area.
Best wishes.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 AM

65 posts, read 378,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Also, Market Basket, although old with narrow isles, is the most friendly in Burlington just outside of Lexington.

Are you kidding me? I shop there b/c the best bargains to be had are there but it seems to me people get frantic in there. A woman once nudged her cart into my son and looked at me like I should apologize to her for bringing my son shopping. It's nuts in there, people smell a deal and go CRAZY.

But back to the original question. I grew up moving all around the country and the world (my dad was military) and settled here after going to grad school in Boston. I definitely noticed that when I passed people and said "hi" most people looked at me funny. Also noted that the majority of people who actually answered me back were people of color. I've lived here over 10 years now and I guess I no longer say hi to random strangers on the street but I've had no problem making new friends. Our neighbors are wonderful, helping to shovel during storms, taking in our garbage cans, helping when we need it, etc.

I wish we wanted to move AWAY from MA so we could get more house for our money but we really can't see raising our kids anywhere but here. You'll be amazed at all the things to do with your children. Free storytime and singalong at the libraries, Wednesday nights are free at the MFA, Friday nights are $1 at the Children's Museum, last Sat. morning of the month is Family Playdate (free) at the Museum of Contem. Art (or temporary art as my son calls it).

We're also thinking of moving to Bedford. I think you'll find you love living here and it's not such a huge difference than other places you've lived.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM

You know, this thread was actually from last June and someone revived it only in the last couple of days. So we've been going back and forth and I guess the OP has been in Bedford for a while already and it's moot.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 AM

65 posts, read 378,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
You know, this thread was actually from last June and someone revived it only in the last couple of days. So we've been going back and forth and I guess the OP has been in Bedford for a while already and it's moot.
ROFL - maybe we should add "don't check dates" to the stereotype thread!

Well, hopefully the OP will chime in with her impressions.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,511 times
wilmington massachusetts all the way .

Old 04-27-2008, 11:53 PM

17 posts, read 81,922 times
Bedford is a nice community. I worked there for years and live a couple of towns away.

Massachusetts, like anywhere else, has people who are individuals. There isn't any one way all Massachusetts people think about anyone or anything.

Hanscom Field, which I'm guessing you know, is on the border of Lexington and Bedford, is loaded with people associated with the military; so I don't there's much concern about military families would be treated.

The Bedford, Billerica, Lexington, Concord area is a fine part of Massachusetts; and as far as I'm concerned, the only thing you need to worry about is the Massachusetts Winters. Even with that, though, that part of the state doesn't get hit with as much snow as, say, Worcester does.

All these suburban communities are generally nice places to live, send children to school, and socialize in. As with anywhere else, there'll always be the person who is a "pill" here or there; but Bedford is a fine place to live (again, as long as you know that Winter shows up once a year.)

Wait until you live through some Bedford, Concord, Carlisle Autumns (or Autumn anywhere in Massachusetts). They make Winter almost (not quite but almost) worth it.

Note about Market Baskets: I agree that the prices are the best. If the aisles are too narrow in that area you can always find a bigger, newer, one in a town not too far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts