Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 17,224 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are looking to relocate to MA from NJ and will be commuting separate directions. She will need to go to Framingham while I will go to Everett. Ideally we would like to start by renting first and preferably a whole house (2br, basement, etc). I see that houses are few and far between and go fast so we have looked at apartment communities and are looking at living in Bedford, Waltham, Billerica, and a few others. We have seen nice apartment communities in these towns and am looking for more information on their quality. Does anyone have any direct experience or information with these apartment communities? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 AM

Default Commute to Everett - Travel Time/Traffic

Hi,

I was not able to find any information on this but I am moving to MA from NJ and as you may know traffic and commute times are horrific. I will be working in Everett and my wife and I would like to live out away from the city in an area like Sudbury, Marlborough, Westborough, etc. Can anyone tell me how long the commute would be and suggest any other areas to consider? Thanks!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Assuming that you would be commuting during the usual rush hours, the traffic inbound toward Boston would make for a long commute to Everett from Sudbury, and a really long commute from Marlborough or Westborough. Those towns would all be a lot more convenient for your wife's commute to Framingham. Even at that, while a commute to F'ham from any of these towns would be reasonable, the drive from Westborough during rush hours might take a bit longer than you'd think from looking at the map and seeing how close the town is to F'ham.

If you were to decide to accept the long commute to Everett and live out in the area you're talking about, Westborough and Sudbury would offer you more of the feel of being out in the country than Marlborough. I'm not highly familiar with M'borough, so there may be more country-like neighborhoods I don't know about, but generally M'borough is more of a densely populated town--kind of a small city--while the other two are more exurban and out in the country.

Before reading your opening post, when I first saw the two commuting destinations and had not yet read the rest of the details about what you were looking for, the first town I thought of was Waltham. The location is good, but Waltham is not the town you want if you want to live in the country. Waltham is more urban or moderately dense suburban depending on the neighborhood.

Of the towns you mentioned in your opening post, Bedford would be the best town for having less population density and having a reasonably convenient location for both commutes. Be aware that Bedford is mostly a low-density suburb more than truly out in the country. I don't know whether there are apartment complexes in Lincoln, but if so, this would be another town in the vicinity of Bedford worth looking into. Lincoln is a little more low-density than Bedford, and pushes a little closer to having the feel of being in the country rather than the suburbs.

I don't know about the apartment complexes themselves in Bedford. One caution I would make is to check on the location of any apartment complex you're considering in Bedford, to see how close the place is to Hanscom Field. Hanscom is an airfield--combination general aviation field and Air Force base. Many people seem to feel that noise is not a problem if you live near Hanscom, but I would at least want to check closely about the possibility of noise before moving into the section of Bedford near Hanscom.

From Bedford or Lincoln I would recommend experimenting with back routes for the commute to Framingham. 128 south and then either the Mass. Pike or rt. 30 west might appear on a map like the most straightforward route from Bedford to Framingham, but traffic on 128 southbound in the morning and northbound in the afternoon can get heavy.

All in all, Bedford and Lincoln, if you can find apartment complexes in Lincoln, might be your best bet for less of a city setting, even if not totally in the country, at a location as convenient as possible for both commutes.

Last edited by ogre; 04-28-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 AM

Thank you ogre for the great reply! I did notice that Hanscom is right in Bedford and that has raised a flag for us to look into but thanks for pointing that out.

As far as the travel time from M'borough, Westborough and Sudbury to Everett, would you or anyone have an idea on the actual time? I know it varies based on traffic and distance but would I be looking at an hour in the car from say Sudbury to Everett and more than an hour from one of the 'borough's?

Google Maps suggests about 40-45 minutes from Sudbury and M'borough to Everett. This is not really too long for me however if the reality of it pushes me over an hour one way than maybe we should focus our search around Waltham and the like. Any thoughts anyone?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicOnTheMove View Post
Google Maps suggests about 40-45 minutes from Sudbury and M'borough to Everett.
You could never do it in 40-45 mins at the rush hour.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:41 AM

Thanks holden. Does anyone have any information on apartment communities in Bedford, Waltham, Billerica, etc? We are looking at Avalon Oaks (various locations), Villa at Old Concord, Windsor Communities and a few others. If anyone has detail about these locations it would be very helpful. Thanks all!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 PM

Unfortunately, I can't help you with info on the apartment complexes, but I will second Holden's observation about the commute from those western towns you were asking about. I've never driven the entire route between that area and Everett, in hours of either high traffic or low traffic, but I've done enough sections of it during rush hours to make an educated guess that you don't want to live in any of those towns if you're trying to keep the commute to Everett under an hour.

Now, if you're working outside of the usual work hours, and would miss rush hours during your commute, this could be a different story. During rush hours, though, I think you'd be looking at a long drive.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,701 times
Looking to find out rough idea of commute time...moving to the area...

According to the posting above "but traffic on 128 southbound in the morning and northbound in the afternoon can get heavy. "

Did I understand this correctly - that if I commute from South Grafton to Wakefield(northbound) it won't be too bad? 1 hr or so with traffic...? (Essentially opposite of traffic?)

Thanks in advance

Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 PM

Debraf99, I'm not highly familiar with the commute you're talking about, but, based on my overall picture of traffic patterns, you could have some slow going with the commute you're asking about. You could find it especially slow getting to 128 on the Mass. Pike. The general rule is that on either 128 or the Mass. Pike during the morning commute, traffic will be slow moving toward the interchange between these two roads.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,443 times
Default Arlington or Watertown

Try Watertown for affordability, and Arlington is also quite affordable and has a lot to offer.
Watertown would be closer to the Pike though for reverse commute. Arlington would be a little closer to Everett, you could cut through back roads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts