U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 14,488 times

Advertisements

I am presently sending my children to private school (ages 5, 10 and 12). I like their present schools and they are definitely learning. However, the cost is an issue. While I can afford to continue to pay for their private schooling, I cannot help but wonder if they might be able to get to the same places in life through a good public school system. It may seem a bit selfish of me, but there just might be other things I can do with that money for everyone in our family. Tuitition right now is about $24,000 a year. That is going to be serious cash over the next 10 to 15 years, not including college.

I presently live in northern RI and work in RI. I am serously considering moving to one of the "good" Massachusetts school districts (ie, Medfield) or the more rare "good" RI school districts(ie, East Greenwich or Barrington). These towns would be an acceptable commute for me. (Would like to keep it less than 35 minutes). Does this seem reasonable or just plain crazy?

We like where we live now but it is just so painful to write the checks each year. While I want the best for my children, I don't know if it will be worth it in the end. It's like paying for college twice.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this idea in general and, more specifically, the school districts and town life of Medfield, Ma, East Greenwich, Ri and Barrington, RI. Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,508 times
I can't speak to the RI towns but Medfield is a lovely town that's rather quiet with pretty country roads, large house lots & a decent town center.

If it's not too far for you, you might consider Sherborn or Dover as well, one of the top ranking school systems in the state. Sherborn has a lot to offer. Pros include: the schools, plus a great little pond for swimming & sailing, lots of community activities, wonderful hiking/walking trails, an organic farm, lots of protected open space, large lot sizes & more. Cons would be the taxes, which are high & access to Rt 495, which is a bit of a hassle.

Anyhow, I hope that's a bit helpful!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 AM

3,502 posts, read 6,657,102 times
A good friend of mine lives in East Greenwich, it is a lovely town. I do know the property taxes are very high, however. On the other hand, you can pay for a lot of mortgage and taxes for $24,000 per year.

I'm not a big proponent of private schools, the quality of education is not demonstrably better than most public school systems. I think private schools can be a good choice where the students don't fit in to the mainstream mold that public schools (at least in MA) must cater to as part of the statewide education framework or if the parents desire an education with a particular religious flavoring.

If your children are either exceptionally bright or they may need extra help, the private school may be able to accomodate their needs better. It may not, however.

That said, any of the MA towns in the Foxborough area might be good choices or Cumberland, RI.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,901 times
We are in the same boat as you. We both work in RI. We haven't started giving the private fees yet but have been debating about private v/s moving to better public school system over a year . Last summer we looked into East Greenwich, but decided against it as the houses were very expensive. Also , we realized that not only it will increase my commute to current job , but then for future too there is not much scope in RI for our area of work. With the volatile job market , you never know when you end up with big mortgage & no means to pay.
Barrington was not an option from the begining for us due to the famous commute from 195 , expensive houses & on top I heard more of drinking issues in high school compared to any good things ( expect the very old rankings where it's best in RI).
This year , we have moved our focus to MA , after a suggestion from someone at work. I researched that MA in general is among top 5 in public school syatem in whole US. We are in particular looking at North Attleboro & Foxboro. Mansfield is good too , but just took it out of list after someone telling that it's going through some financial issues.
Both North Attleboro & Foxboro have good access to 95 & 495 for future job opportunities . School system is not best in MA compared to some other districts but not bad either. We don't want to increase our commute to current jobs either. I am strong believer of school system but then at the same time , I believe that no matter what school your kid go to , you have to spend time & pay attention to acedamics yourself too. If I increase my commute , time goes away from my kids . Work will not let you decrease hours . Also , you will have time to take kids to activities only when you reach home in time.
If anyone have any other suggestions to add to the list , I would love to know.
npkr,
You mentioned Medfield , if that's commutable for you , I would say go that way instead of EastGreenwich & Barrington. Also, a quick look at score tell that it's much better than Foxboro & EastGreenwich
In any case , keep this post updated . May be we can help each other with our research.

regards

Old 05-01-2010, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 14,488 times
SGRI- will post again when I learn anything new or make any decision. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: