U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 15,675 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am considering a move to the Boston area. We are looking at potentially living in Belmont, Arlington, Watertown, Newton, or Brookline (I know...probably should narrow that down a bit!). I am trying to figure out some budgeting and am wondering if you can help me estimate expenses? We'd probably rent a townhome, and I'm thinking around 1400 sq or less (need three bedrooms). I am curious how much gas/power/whatever is and how much to guesstimate per month.

Also, who you might use for Internet provider and how much basic decent service would be.

Thank you soooo much for help!

MBlair
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 PM

12 posts, read 50,662 times
Can't help much, but can tell you that if you are renting, your landlord pays for water and sewer (fyi in case you are from out of state and didn't know that).

Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,240,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd221 View Post
Can't help much, but can tell you that if you are renting, your landlord pays for water and sewer (fyi in case you are from out of state and didn't know that).
Is that only in Boston area??

Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Is that only in Boston area??
No, that is statewide. Landlords don't have to pay to heat the water, just for the water itself. A few other things a lot of folk don't know:

1. A landlord may only ask for the following payments up front:
  • The first month’s rent
  • A security deposit to cover the cost of any damage to the apartment beyond normal wear and tear (which may not exceed the amount of one month’s rent)
  • The last month’s rent (the month that will turn out to be the tenant’s last one in the apartment)
  • The cost of a new lock and key for the apartment
So, pet fees/deposits, carpet cleaning fees prior to moving, etc. are not allowed.

2. All security deposits must be deposited in a Massachusetts bank, in an account that collects interest, and within the first month of the tenancy. The landlord must provide the tenant with the name and address of the bank holding the security deposit, plus the actual account number. Each year, the landlord must either pay the tenant the interest on the security deposit or let the tenant deduct that amount from a rent payment.
(make sure that you get receipts and hang onto them!)

3. The landlord or his agent can enter the apt. only under specific circumstances... see link for specifics.

The following link from the city of Medford has very valuable info...
City of Medford, MA - Tenant Rights and Responsibilities

Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 PM

278 posts, read 669,645 times
Landlords most certainly do not have to pay for water in MA. At least not all of MA. At my apt in Marlboro I paid my own water/sewer bill. This was a large complex as well.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent s View Post
Landlords most certainly do not have to pay for water in MA. At least not all of MA. At my apt in Marlboro I paid my own water/sewer bill. This was a large complex as well.

From what I can tell, it's still the law-landlords do have to pay for water. Call Central MA Housing Alliance if you want to double check. CMHA - Home If the law has changed, please post...

When I moved to MA, I read about this water issue in some relocation materials. A month or so later, my roommates (who'd lived at this house for years) were complaining about the high water and sewer bills. They were floored when I told them it was the landlord's responsibility. The out-of-state landlord was more floored when she had to pay them appx. $2000 to cover the water/sewer bills for the past several years.

Just because it's a complex doesn't mean anything...I rented at a large complex in Worc. county that, among other things, included language in the lease that when a tenant moved, he had to vacate the apt. three days before the lease was up to allow for carpet cleaning. That didn't seem right, considering I'd paid them for a full month's rent, but had to leave before the end of the month. I checked with Central MA Housing Alliance and they confirmed that yes, that was illegal.

I suspect that a lot of landlords (inc. at larger apt. complexes, which may be based out-of-state) don't know all of the laws...

Old 06-25-2010, 03:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,080 posts, read 49,706,016 times
Your gas bill will vary depending on how well insulated your place is. Mine varied from $30 to $350 a month depending on the season, but my place is rather poorly insulated so yours could be a lot lower. Your electricity bill will also depend on what applicanes you have. Will you use CFLs or incandescents? Will you have A/C? A big desktop computer or big screen TV...etc. My electric bill was about $30/month for about 200 kWh.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 AM

22 posts, read 53,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Your gas bill will vary depending on how well insulated your place is. Mine varied from $30 to $350 a month depending on the season, but my place is rather poorly insulated so yours could be a lot lower. Your electricity bill will also depend on what applicanes you have. Will you use CFLs or incandescents? Will you have A/C? A big desktop computer or big screen TV...etc. My electric bill was about $30/month for about 200 kWh.
At least with energy deregulation, you can get electric for a lower kwh rate than this poster mentioned. My company would save about 9 bucks off that bill above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts