Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:11 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

I'm one of the rare women that doesn't enjoy shopping in department stores. I'm more into thrift and consignment shops, and I pretty much live in t-shirts and blue jeans because of my dogs. I have noticed that many people, including foreign visitors to our city, love to visit the Wrentham Premium Outlet Stores complex. Otherwise, in Boston the Copley Square area has Neiman Marcus and other shops, there's a Sak's Fifth Ave. and all the stores on Newbury Street to visit.

Weather-wise, I've been loving the last few spring weeks for being so mild and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,972 times
I live in Brookline and live without a car but I am 30 and single. I think what might be the hardest for you having a family and living without a car is grocery shopping. I have troubel with this and I am just one person. I live in close proximity to three grocery stores, but I have a hard time with heavy items like juice, soda, laundry detergent, etc. It is hard to carry these any distance. I either ask friends for a ride or rent a car and drive to a box store a couple times a year to stock up on this kind of stuff. Otherwise, I do fine without having a car. I walk most everywhere or use the T/ Commuter Rail.

I like Boston the most for its educational/ cultural opportunities. Tons of universities to take classes at and lots of great culture centers like the French Library and the Goethe Institut.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,950 times
You can deal with the groceries by using a delivery service. Most stores will do that for a minimal charge, and it is so much easier to order everything on-line than try dragging the whole family through the store.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,950 times
You can also get a grocery cart. I pretty much only use mine for cases of soda or water, but it's nice to have in those situations.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 AM

46 posts, read 207,404 times
I lived in Boston/Brookline for more than 5 years without a car. I personally think Brookline is necessary to live without a car if you live close to Beacon St. (parking is expensive), since the T is so convenient and you can pretty much walk everywhere. You can always do car rental if you need to go somewhere far.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:24 AM

497 posts, read 1,693,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smananas View Post
I live in Brookline and live without a car but I am 30 and single. I think what might be the hardest for you having a family and living without a car is grocery shopping. I have troubel with this and I am just one person. I live in close proximity to three grocery stores, but I have a hard time with heavy items like juice, soda, laundry detergent, etc. It is hard to carry these any distance. I either ask friends for a ride or rent a car and drive to a box store a couple times a year to stock up on this kind of stuff. Otherwise, I do fine without having a car. I walk most everywhere or use the T/ Commuter Rail.

I like Boston the most for its educational/ cultural opportunities. Tons of universities to take classes at and lots of great culture centers like the French Library and the Goethe Institut.
This is kind of the situation I'll be in when I move to South Hamilton in September. I'm 22 and will be attending grad school and won't have a car. I'm really concerned abou grocery shopping and things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts