Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have also thought about the difficulty of a possible sale. I think I'd sell to someone who isn't looking for a "family" home (it's too small) and who might have wanted a condo- a new, modern condo with lots of light. Probably would list as "condo alternative."
One thing I haven't gotten while looking at rentals in MA and RI. What people consider a "condo"

To me, this is what a condo looks like:

420 East 80th Street Apartments - 420 East 80th Street - New York City - EquityApartments.com

http://www.apartments.com/avsummary....g=8#PhotoFloor

These are not a condos: In the desirable Fifth Ward - 8 Potter St | RentalHomesPlus.com

Providence Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Providence RI, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Providence, Rhode Island (http://www.rentals.com/Rhode-Island/Providence/r1063571/ - broken link)

PROVIDENCE, Providence, RI | Powered by Postlets

I see so many of these so-so house/duplex listings that are trying to be rented out as condos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
The HDR shots are fabulous. They really showcase the house. I looked at many homes online and never saw such clear photos.
When I was shopping for a house I was constantly amazed at the number of really BAD pictures that realtors post online. You don't have to be a professional, but there are some just AWFUL photos -- dark/bad lighting, off center, no prep work, bad camera angles, etc. I just don't know what some people think.

When I sold a house a couple of years ago I insisted upon taking the photos myself so I could get the lighting, etc. just right. I then gave the realtor the photos on a CD and she had their office post them. The pictures looked great, but they were just taken by an amateur (me) with a decent digital camera.

The bottom line: you don't need fancy, professional photography work to take good home sale photos. Just some thought and effort, coupled with a decent quality digital camera, can do the trick.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,570 times
i've sold my own homes before...and i'd always take the photos myself too. i agree that professional photography is not really required....but the person taking the photo will need to know what angles to take to make the property look more flattering.

but one thing i really find very useful for property photos....is wide-angle lens. i think all realtors should invest in one. some of the property photos that i see online only show like a corner of the room....which is not at all useful or flattering (when i look at it, i just think the room is TOO SMALL!).

and lighting!!! i can't emphasize enough....i don't understand why some property photos are taken with the drapes/blinds down and lights off???!!!! if the room is not bright enough even with the blinds up/lights on....then try to bring more lights into the room (those huge stand lights) or take photos only during the time of the day when the sun comes into the room.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:33 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,518 times
Good points!

Also, as someone who is looking for rentals, to those renting- please do not post pics of the toilet. I am sure most people know what one looks like and figures there is one in your rental. I have seen so many rental ads where the only bathroom pic is up close shot of inside the toilet.

People want to see size of kitchen counter space as well as size and what cabinets look like (I also don't need a close up shot of your microwave!), get idea of size of bathroom and what cabinets look, take good photo of master bedroom and any extra rooms- preferably looking from the door into the room.
Please pick up before taking photos- one site I saw actually had photos where in the bedroom where old stained mattresses stacked on top of each other and what appeared to be blankets with some bottles and such laying around. Thought I had somehow wandered to news section about squatters.

Pics shouldn't be so small that you have to squint and put face up to screen. We want to get a quick idea of what house looks like- a good photo of outside and one of inside, maybe living room or kitchen, should be enough to pique interest for person to request more photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
When I was shopping for a house I was constantly amazed at the number of really BAD pictures that realtors post online. You don't have to be a professional, but there are some just AWFUL photos -- dark/bad lighting, off center, no prep work, bad camera angles, etc. I just don't know what some people think.

When I sold a house a couple of years ago I insisted upon taking the photos myself so I could get the lighting, etc. just right. I then gave the realtor the photos on a CD and she had their office post them. The pictures looked great, but they were just taken by an amateur (me) with a decent digital camera.

The bottom line: you don't need fancy, professional photography work to take good home sale photos. Just some thought and effort, coupled with a decent quality digital camera, can do the trick.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
One thing I haven't gotten while looking at rentals in MA and RI. What people consider a "condo"

To me, this is what a condo looks like:

420 East 80th Street Apartments - 420 East 80th Street - New York City - EquityApartments.com

River North Park Apartments in Chicago, IL | Photos & Media | Apartments.com

These are not a condos: In the desirable Fifth Ward - 8 Potter St | RentalHomesPlus.com

Providence Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Providence RI, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Providence, Rhode Island (http://www.rentals.com/Rhode-Island/Providence/r1063571/ - broken link)

PROVIDENCE, Providence, RI | Powered by Postlets

I see so many of these so-so house/duplex listings that are trying to be rented out as condos
Well, a condo just refers to the way the property is managed. If you own a unit in the building but the property is jointly owned, that's a condo (as I understand it; I'm a renter). It could be half a duplex, a townhome, or a unit in a large building. That's not a New England thing; in fact, I knew someone who moved here from AZ and was surprised we did call apartment-type units "condos." To her, a condo would only have been a townhouse-type structure.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
That's correct. "Condo" is the form of ownership. Some are apartment buildings that are converted to condo ownership, some are one of three units in a three-family that has been condo'd, etc.
Townhouses confuse me, because some of them are considered "free-standing" with only a small HOA for mowing common grass, etc., - but they share walls and roofs are connected, so how are they maintained?
If you own a unit in a building and the property is jointly owned, that's a co-op, which I think is largely only in NYC. You could not own a unit in a building unless all the units are condo-owned (although some might be rented out if the building isn't restricted to owner-occupied only).
As the previous poster said, it's the way the property is owned and managed, not the physical set-up.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Colonial and colonial revival is the most popular architectural style in the Northeast. Safe, predictable, pleasing proportions, casual yet dresses up, classic, comfortable.

There is a dictum that says the prevailing architectural style of a region commands the higher prices. That's not to say modern is not good, or that New Englanders can't appreciate it. But it will always be the outlier.
I don't get why contemporary isn't more appreciated - strikes me as being way more honest, classy and cool than "traditional". I think as buyers' age demographic changes, contemporary/modern will be far more appreciated, even here in NE.

I stumbled upon this thread while googling and since it touches on a topic that is a real rant rouser for me, I was compelled to join the discussion.

I truly love old houses, and spent more than 10 years of my life restoring/renovating a 19th antique. Old houses and replica old houses unquestionably have aura and charm that is hard to beat.

What riles me is the weird Home Depot/Lowes "traditional" esthetic, that bangs out vinyl fences, moldings, columns etc in previous century styles, adding fake wood texture to boot. No problem, if some folks want it, that's cool, but lets have options. Why not celebrate the synthetic for what it is?

Last year I moved into an eighties ranch, done in the New England mock colonial style, with carriage lanterns, garage w/ useless hayloft door, etc. Wishing well and wagon wheel had been moved, apparently. As budget allows, we aim to declutter, and capitalize on its sleek and simple structure.

First order of business was to replace the garage doors, but within our budget, the options were hideous. It's impossible to find a simple, well insulated door for under $3000 per. All the steel doors in our price range had awful fake wood graining and cheesy vinyl window frames. There is hardly any design variation from company to company. We settled for Garaga flush panel, but I hate 'em.

Same thing for outdoor lighting - most everything in our price range is just a lame rehash of old styles. I'm poking around fixtures and materials, maybe we'll frankenstein something together. Why do you have to be rich to have a simple, esthetically pleasing home? I know, I know - IKEA - but quality is spotty and products are limited. OK, done ranting!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
Expand your shopping horizons. Lowes/Home Depot sell to the masses. What they can sell the most of is less expensive. Check out places like Grossman's, Building 19 and online sites. You can probably find what you are looking for for fixtures etc. for what you would pay at the Depot- it's just more work. We also use Granite City Electric. Believe it or not, you don't pay that much more than the big box stores and the extra you are paying is for a better quality fixture. I hear you on the garage doors. Haven't really started looking but I know when we do, it won't be cheap. Did the doors you purchased qualify for an energy tax credit?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,282 times
Quote:
Expand your shopping horizons. Lowes/Home Depot sell to the masses. What they can sell the most of is less expensive. Check out places like Grossman's, Building 19 and online sites. You can probably find what you are looking for for fixtures etc. for what you would pay at the Depot- it's just more work.
So far I haven't had much luck online - I find beautiful stuff, but it's beaucoup bucks. I avoid HD/Lowes as much as possible on principle. You are right - shopping is a lot of work and time.
Quote:
We also use Granite City Electric. Believe it or not, you don't pay that much more than the big box stores and the extra you are paying is for a better quality fixture.
I'll have to check 'em out. Thanks for the tip.
Quote:
I hear you on the garage doors. Haven't really started looking but I know when we do, it won't be cheap. Did the doors you purchased qualify for an energy tax credit?
Yes, they did, although we had already blown the credit on exterior deck doors. The Garaga doors seem to be slightly better quality than some of the others in that price range, but they still have the nasty plastic /vinyl around the windows.

Although we replaced the deck doors (with Anderson), we still need to replace the entrance doors. Any recomendations for places to shop for interesting, energy efficient contemporary exterior doors? I'm hoping to go with glass - I never realized how dark it is inside a ranch - even w/ skylights.

I forgot to mention earlier how impressive those HDR images are. They look straight out of an glossy design magazine. Nice!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:45 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,452 times
I'm not sure where to buy doors. When we were remodeling in the past, I just kept my eyes open at the places mentioned in my previous post. My focus in the past was on more traditional styles. Definitely see where the contractors in your area get their supplies and peruse the return and overstock areas. Cape Cod Lumber is one of my favorites. You'd be amazed at some of the bargains you can find. They have them all over the south shore but there are many of building supply companies you can check out. My new house has all Anderson doors and windows and we are very happy with them. When closed and locked they are tight as a drum and open offer great air exchange throughout the house. I'm sure you will see energy savings just by installing those.

Hopefully the OP can chime in and give some tips on where he bought his contemporary fixtures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts