Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 02:05 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,636 times

Advertisements

Aloha! My husband's birthday is coming up in November and I'm thinking of making plans to spend it on either Lanai or Molokai.

He's a spearfishing fanatic and I'm sure that is how he'll want to spend most of him time.

I have connections at the Four Seasons on Lanai and can get a good rate. So naturally I'm leaning towards Lanai for that reason. But my husband has expressed more of an interest in visiting Molokai - we've never been to either island. And it's his birthday, so I want to find a good place to stay with great fishing spots. I think November is open lobster season, so he might be focusing on diving for lobster during that time.

Are there any spear-fishermen reading this who can recommend one island over the other for a nice weekend of spear-fishing and free diving?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 04:26 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Aloha! My husband's birthday is coming up in November and I'm thinking of making plans to spend it on either Lanai or Molokai.

He's a spearfishing fanatic and I'm sure that is how he'll want to spend most of him time.

I have connections at the Four Seasons on Lanai and can get a good rate. So naturally I'm leaning towards Lanai for that reason. But my husband has expressed more of an interest in visiting Molokai - we've never been to either island. And it's his birthday, so I want to find a good place to stay with great fishing spots. I think November is open lobster season, so he might be focusing on diving for lobster during that time.

Are there any spear-fishermen reading this who can recommend one island over the other for a nice weekend of spear-fishing and free diving?
there are a few tours on maui, very small outfits that take people spear fishing/free dive style. contact them they would know what island was better and could maybe suggest something. maybe you should stay maui and take the ferry over to both islands for a day trip or over nighter. probably more places to fish better know on maui is my guess. if you can't find the tour let me know in a pm and I will look for it

Old 07-11-2010, 04:40 PM

Ah thanks hothulamaui. We live on Maui so he knows the spots here. I just thought he might like to fish on another island for a change of scenery, you know?

I never even thought of hiring an "outfit" to take him out. Hmmm. That is food for thought.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Ah thanks hothulamaui. We live on Maui so he knows the spots here. I just thought he might like to fish on another island for a change of scenery, you know?

I never even thought of hiring an "outfit" to take him out. Hmmm. That is food for thought.

you would think someone over there knows. wonder if there are any spear fish clubs or anything to get the scoops

Old 07-12-2010, 01:56 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,272 times
Big Island is the best for spear fishing, although if you know some spots, you can find decent fishing anywhere. I'll ask my boyfriend (the diver) when he gets home what he thinks.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Mar0 - On the Big Island, would the fishing be best on the kona side? I appreciate you asking your boyfriend on my behalf. Mahalo nui!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,107 times
I think you will find that most locals in Hawaii aren't very talkative or helpful about their favorite spearfishing and regular fishing spots. There are a few reasons for this that I won't go into; just be aware of it.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Thank you, Balad1. You are right about that. I wouldn't expect anyone to give away their secret fishing spot on a public online forum. In hindsight, I guess it was a pretty dumb question, eh? Mainly, I was just trying to decide which island to go to. We'll have to try them all, one by one, and decide for ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui