Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 11,194 times

Advertisements

Aloha!

I am moving to Maui to spend the next few years wwoofing on organic farms. I would greatly appreciate any feedback, good or bad, from some past wwoofers please. I am seeking indoor accommodations, provided food, and earth lovin solid humans.

I guess my only fear is that I will end up on a farm where they take advantage of the free labor or mistreat you. I just want a fair trade, not a place where I work full time to sleep in a tent.

I hope to find hosts that are spiritually grounded and the community partakes in drum circles, moon celebrations, and that sort of thing. A family environment would be really nice. I'm seeking info for all kinds of farms, especially produce, goat, bees, and those who also do organic food manufacturing.

Accommodations, the work trade, the attitude and energy of the people is what I am most interested in, but I am grateful to hear any comment you Earthlings may have. Much thanks and love to you all :-)

Your fellow Earth lover!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Sorry, can't help you with Maui info, but there is a full moon drum circle in Hilo this weekend. It was in the newspaper's "Calendar of Events" section otherwise I wouldn't have known about it.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Isn't the whole point of that WWOOF stuff to exploit indentured labor?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 PM

206 posts, read 466,106 times
No, the point is to teach someone how you grow food organically on your farm, and also provide them with a good overall experience in the locale. You don't indenture yourself, you just help out for a few hours every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.wwoofhawaii.org/node/27
The Ideal Host...
  • understands that WWOOFers are not just free labour,(they are not workers /they are volunteers) and want to learn something, contribute their help & /or see the area you’re in
  • understands that people are most productive when they’re happy - be nice to the WWOOFers!
  • asks WWOOFers why they are WWOOFing, what they hope to learn, as opposed to handing out the easy jobs any two hands can do
  • considers BEFORE telling a WWOOFer to come whether you really need or are prepared to have someone in your life right then. Saying “no” to a WWOOFer on the telephone or via email,is easier for everyone to handle than saying “yes” when it’s not a good time (because you may be having personal challenges)
  • remember that WWOOFers are PEOPLE first, and might prefer to be introduced by their names, than as “our WWOOFer”
  • keep in mind it takes only 5 minutes to make a list of jobs that takes 5 hours to do - no need to overkill! Be clear and organized with what you would like them to do. Express your appreciation. It's always nice to be complimented
  • realize that WWOOFers come with all different levels of experience, and that some farms do things differently, so even if the WWOOFer has done a particular task before, they might not do it YOUR way. Be patient & strive for open communication - remember the WWOOFer is not trying to mess up! Most are trying their best to help you.

Anyway, there are wooffing websites around which do provide reviews, good and bad, by people who stayed at each host. I don't know about specific farms on Maui, but I think if you plan to do it for a few years, you might also consider island hopping to the Big Island and Kaui to be able to access more farms. Good luck!

Last edited by Vaedrem; 07-28-2010 at 10:49 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 12:27 PM

150 posts, read 415,574 times
Try Mele Nahiku » Welcome on Maui's beautiful East Side. It looks like they're looking for help. Let me know what you find out and how it goes.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 PM

150 posts, read 415,574 times
This also might help: Fellowship for Intentional Community then search Maui. Intentional Communities Directory - ecovillages communes cohousing

Old 10-17-2010, 11:38 PM

14 posts, read 68,181 times
Does anyone know if you can WWOOF even if you live/work in maui. Can you wwoof on a farm, then drive to a part time job? my boyfriend and i are highly interested in wwoofing in maui after we move there

Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 PM

206 posts, read 466,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattletoMaui View Post
Does anyone know if you can WWOOF even if you live/work in maui. Can you wwoof on a farm, then drive to a part time job? my boyfriend and i are highly interested in wwoofing in maui after we move there
You can. It depends upon the situation. Some people want long-term or permanent "woofers," others will provide additional farmwork to the wooffers for pay if they like. You always have free time, it just depends on if the scheduling and etc. would interfere with the woofer process. The only way to know is ask the farms you're interested in.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 11,305 times
I sure would like to be a wwoofer and move to Maui but never done it before except for going to Maui, I was there last year for ten days.
I want to have the opportunity to live off the land and better myself and be around good people in Maui but I just don't know if I can do it for very long. I was hoping to do it for a few month or until I can afford to get a job out there that pays to live in Maui. I'm strong as an ox and am willing to dedicate 1-3 months to learn this new and exciting experience to live but don't know what would be the right one for a beginner like myself. I am a 31 yr. old man who is rescently laid off and want to do something exciting with my life before it gets to late.

If there is anyone who worked in Maui close to the beach like in paia or haiku or something who can chat more with me and help push me in the right direction or to the right host I would be very grateful. I'd be willing to work up to 25 hours or more to prove myself worth and willingness

Old 01-18-2011, 12:40 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
I looked into this stuff because I have a friend who was thinking about coming here to WWOOF. The problem is those farms are all upcountry. Why bother living on Maui if you're gonna be an hour from the beach?

The other thing is that you'll need a car on Maui. So with the cost of a car and the plane ticket to and from Maui, you're going to come out on the losing end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui