U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,116,416 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of living in an apartment complex?

I've lived in 4 different apartments in my life and none have been complexes owned by a company. All were owned by individuals that I met face to face and spoke with before moving in. I'd say I feel more comfortable that way, but what are the positive aspects of a complex? It seems like sometimes the rent is slightly lower and a lot more is included, but what should I look out for?

What about ohanas? What are the pros and cons there? Is it just a matter of being extra quiet and getting along with the people who own the property? Although those are parts of life that are pretty much the same in almost every type of rental..

Thanks once again for any info, hopefully my multiple questions/threads haven't annoyed anyone yet! It's getting reeeally close, we're leaving at the end of December!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM

820 posts, read 2,875,852 times
APARTMENT COMPLEXES
PROS
- Shared amenities, like pool and rec area, big dumpsters for getting rid of your moving in/out stuff or big things you discard, assigned parking.
- Someone else does the yard work.
- You get to meet people because there are more people around.
- Cable and internet are likely already run to the place.
- With good management, someone else deals with problems.
- Electricity is your own meter, so you pay for what you use.
- Laundry rooms mean you can get it all done.

CONS
- Lots of people coming & going. That means someone is always going to work or coming home (different shifts), which means more noise from car/talking on phone as they walk/stairs/doors.
- Someone is always moving in or out. That means you can't count on who will live next to, above, or below you. You can get a noisy person, or someone who leaves water running that flows down through the ceiling and ruins your clothing or electronics. If someone moves in who parties or has a barking dog or whatever, it will take some time to get them out. Then again, maybe you can move into a different apartment in the same complex.
- Because the owner usually doesn't live in the complex, they are more removed from any problems and may be slower to respond.
- All the commotion & unfamiliar peope, you can't always spot when someone is lurking and could be about to rip off your car battery or break into an apartment. In a neighborhood you get to know the people and can spot a stranger.
- It's just my opinion, but often the lower rent and higher density means that people with less money, more transient tend to move in.
- If you like yards or plants, you can't always do what you like with planting and growing.
- Laundry rooms also means you can't toss something in the washer and leave. But if you have a small washer/dryer in the apartment that's good for smaller loads.

OHANAS
PROS
- You know what you are getting when you check out the place, unless they have multiple units. You do have to be observant and trust your gut.
- Ohana is attached, but probably only one shared side, so less noise on either side/above/below than some apartments. A cottage is detached, so maybe less noise unless you are closer to the street or next to the garage.
- Often better yards, and you still don't have to do the yardwork, but often can share in the bananas and such.
- Already said that you get to know the neighbors so can spot strangers or problems.
- You deal with the owner, so you can have a direct conversation about problems and know if they are going to get solved or not.
- The owner is directly invested in having you stay a long time.

CONS
- If the owner is the problem, you are screwed.
- Probably more pets in the vicinity, only a problem for some situations (barking or spraying) or if you are allergic.
- Totally depends on the neighborhood, but check on the parking situation.
- Fewer of those big amenities, like pools and rec rooms.
- Probably more restrictions on how much noise YOU can make.
- If it hasn't been rented out a lot before, phone/cable/internet may need to be brought in.
- Shared electricity cost may hurt you if the owner runs a lot of AC and you split the bill. Rising costs may get blamed on you.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:20 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,116,416 times
Thank you so much!
That's every bit of info I could ever need on the subject!

I'd actually rather have semi-loud neighbors because then I don't have to worry every single second if I'm being too loud..Even though as it is now, we
are really good about noise, other than my husband playing loud video games and if we had an attached anything he would have to tone it down (thank god). He doesn't really have to now because all of our neighbors are loud. One of them has a special needs kid who screams and hits the wall occasionally, another brings friends over after the clubs close (2am) and they smoke and talk and laugh on the deck, and the other has a friend who raps and is constantly coming over to have a.. session or whatever

I don't really care about having a pool, gym blah blah blah, but internet is a must, so a complex might be a good choice considering that and the lower rent and I also like electricity not being wrapped up at all with anyone else's use. Internet is the only things that's going to keep me from going insane from missing my sister since I'll be able to visit her, uh probably never. :P

The crime thing does worry me a little, but we live in the ghetto now and have never had anything stolen. We always bring our vaulables (ipods, whatever) in the house with us and always lock our car and house doors. But of course, we do leave our car and the battery outside! Could be just lucky that nothing's ever been stolen. Anyways, enough of my life story for now!

Lots of things to consider, thanks again.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:01 PM

820 posts, read 2,875,852 times
My pleasure.

Just to clarify, internet may be run TO the unit, but you still pay for the startup charge and monthly. And lots of ohanas have internet run to them too. It's just one of many things you should ask when calling either option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui