U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 AM

25 posts, read 77,878 times

Advertisements

So I am thinking of doing a pre-school in Hana, but I would like to know more about it. The two websites and wikipedia article are not exactly filled with insight! So for anyone who has visited or lives in Hana, how is it?

Are there plenty of safe places for children and adults to explore outside in the natural habitat?

Will a huge cane spider and/or centipede try to crawl our house (I watched too many youtube videos...)?

How expensive is the food? Are there places to buy furniture?

What should we know about Hana that you can tell us?! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 PM

15,909 posts, read 16,919,757 times
lots of info in google
the census says Hana has just over 700 people living there. Hana is found at the end of a very long and narrow road that takes hours to get to.
as far as preschools there is....Kamehameha Schools, Early Childhood Education Maui, Hana Preschool Anueneu Classroom
Street:
Hana, hi 96713-
Phone: (808) 248-7630
as far as prestige in education you can't beat the Kamehameha schools.
no, you won't find furniture stores. you will need to go into Kahului to get your food and supplies. go to google maps and check it out. you will get a better idea how remote it is.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Yes, I did check it out on google map. I think that is neat that is is so off the path... What do you mean "beat" Kamehameha schools... what do they offer that makes them so respected? Wow, I will look into Kahului. I think it might be good to get initial supplies outside of Hana it seems. Do they not have a grocery store???

Old 12-09-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsterg3 View Post
Yes, I did check it out on google map. I think that is neat that is is so off the path... What do you mean "beat" Kamehameha schools... what do they offer that makes them so respected? Wow, I will look into Kahului. I think it might be good to get initial supplies outside of Hana it seems. Do they not have a grocery store???
you could think of Hana like a very small neighborhood. there really is nothing there except a hotel and the local folks who live there. the "grocery" store is kinda like the convenience store you find on the mainland thats attached to the gas station. very small and limited. people who live in Hana go to Kahului for supplies. there really is not much in Hana other than houses and the small services such as the post office and the like.

I doubt there are many pre school age children living in Hana. you need to be where you would have customers and I doubt Hana is the spot. my guess is the small number of pre school kids would be local, either home schooled or if given a choice Kamehameha would wins hand down.

Kamehameha Schools have a long history and are all about Hawaiian culture, language. if you are Hawaiian it is what you strive to have your children attend. it is considered a privilege and an honor to attend.
Kamehameha Schools - Campuses

Old 12-09-2010, 01:58 PM

you could think of Hana like a town on the mainland, way up in the mountains, several hours from a town with a small, small tight knit local population.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM

820 posts, read 2,888,865 times
I agree, probably not enough children who would attend, nor parents who could afford a pre-school.

There are really the extremes in Hana - got money, don't got. The don't got can't afford it.

The wealthier land/homeowners (e.g. Oprah) likely don't live there full time, or don't have pre-school aged children.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 PM

Thanks for letting me know... its good information. When I spoke to a woman from the child care division, she had mentioned hana being a place where childcare was needed. This seems like a place where it would be too difficult to survive in a business... hmm.... maybe i will just keep exploring other areas on maui...

Old 12-10-2010, 07:42 AM

66 posts, read 224,301 times
You need to take a trip there and visit. Nothig said on here can fully describe Hana, the travel experience getting there and where it is located geographically in relation to fundamental supplies.. Hana is a like another world, all to itself. Isolated. It's an area you have to see to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui