Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM

352 posts, read 187,153 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me what the similarities and differences are between Alii Drive on BI, and Front Street on Maui are? Compare and contrast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Do we get graded on our essay?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 AM

46 posts, read 110,884 times
I've only been to Ali'i Drive and I wasn't too much of a fan. Just a strip along the water with tourist shops, hotels, and a few hit and miss restaurants/bar. If that sounds like Front St., then you have your answer. LOL! Maybe not, but that was my experience with it. Not my cup of tea. The only good thing about it was the Thai place we ate at. SOOO GOOD!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,146 times
Default Eye of the Beholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAMIs View Post
I've only been to Ali'i Drive and I wasn't too much of a fan. Just a strip along the water with tourist shops, hotels, and a few hit and miss restaurants/bar. If that sounds like Front St., then you have your answer. . . .
Well, ummm, I live in Lahaina, and some would say that sums up Front Street fairly well. I've only been to Ali'i Drive once, and I would say they are similar, but the town of Lahaina seems larger and a little more varied (to me). Both are touristy, but scenic, pleasant spots to visit.

The same could be said for Kihei in South Maui, only with high-rises in the background. Waikiki, too, if you're really jaded, I guess.

Lahainatown has several historic sites in addition to the trinkets and pubs. There are a few nice hotels/inns, and quite a few really good restaurants. The beach near 505 Front Street is smaller than Ka'anapali, but a good surfing/swimming beach, especially for a downtown area.

"flordelis," do you have any specific questions or preferences? Are you planning a day visit or a several-day stay, and wondering what to do? How can we help?

Best of luck.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
Well, ummm, I live in Lahaina, and some would say that sums up Front Street fairly well. I've only been to Ali'i Drive once, and I would say they are similar, but the town of Lahaina seems larger and a little more varied (to me). Both are touristy, but scenic, pleasant spots to visit.

The same could be said for Kihei in South Maui, only with high-rises in the background. Waikiki, too, if you're really jaded, I guess.

Lahainatown has several historic sites in addition to the trinkets and pubs. There are a few nice hotels/inns, and quite a few really good restaurants. The beach near 505 Front Street is smaller than Ka'anapali, but a good surfing/swimming beach, especially for a downtown area.

"flordelis," do you have any specific questions or preferences? Are you planning a day visit or a several-day stay, and wondering what to do? How can we help?

Best of luck.
My interest in Alii are business-related.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:07 PM

206 posts, read 466,204 times
A lot of businesses on Allii have been going out of business as a result of the drop in tourism due to the financial crisis. Anyway, David's description is accurate.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
A lot of businesses on Allii have been going out of business as a result of the drop in tourism due to the financial crisis. Anyway, David's description is accurate.
Thank you for the info and confirmation. You know what they say "buy (or rent) low, sell high"

Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
Can you give me any info on Coconut Grove on Alii

Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 PM

53 posts, read 135,572 times
You can look at Alii drive via google street view, don't know about the Maui one. Go for a little tour that way

Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuicake View Post
You can look at Alii drive via google street view, don't know about the Maui one. Go for a little tour that way
I have street-viewed all of Alii and most of Kailua. I am looking for "boots on the ground" info before I go for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui