Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:25 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times

Advertisements

Worked for a Fortune 500 company for many years and paycheck was always two weeks behind; when I retired it caught up. It is a very common practice in companies. If you work a week, they can't possibly prepare a check on the fifth day.

Have to agree with Koale, you don't seem to be enjoying life in Hawaii. Maybe you should look towards the mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 05:27 PM

14 posts, read 53,500 times
Default Something to think about

You never know who is reading these threads, It might not be hard to figure out who you are, and getting fired would not help your situation. Employers are looking at facebook and who knows what else now days. And I would not gripe at work either! It feels good to vent but it will not change anything. Good luck!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Worked for a Fortune 500 company for many years and paycheck was always two weeks behind; when I retired it caught up. It is a very common practice in companies. If you work a week, they can't possibly prepare a check on the fifth day.
At my last job the paychecks were biweekly, and you got the paycheck 5 days after the end of the pay period. There's no reason to wait 14+ days instead of 5!!

Quote:
Have to agree with Koale, you don't seem to be enjoying life in Hawaii. Maybe you should look towards the mainland.
I'm trying to find a job in Texas. I can't afford to live on Maui without a living wage and without family to live which, which seems to be what most local people do when they're in entry level jobs like this.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Did you research carefully about cost of living vs what your take home would be? Did you not know their policies and paycheck schedules before accepting the job? While I sympathize with some of what you say, you own part of this problem if you didn't find out what you were accepting before you came over. I don't know what your salary is but I suspect the county pay plus benefits and PTO etc is somewhat better than the average "civilian" worker.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Did you research carefully about cost of living vs what your take home would be? Did you not know their policies and paycheck schedules before accepting the job? While I sympathize with some of what you say, you own part of this problem if you didn't find out what you were accepting before you came over. I don't know what your salary is but I suspect the county pay plus benefits and PTO etc is somewhat better than the average "civilian" worker.
I looked at grocery prices, rent costs, and utilites. What I didn't realize was the apartments I was looking at were in the bad parts of town.

I completely forgot that Hawaii had a state income tax, and I didn't think about the required pension and union dues. I didn't expect the county to do furloughs either.

My salary is $37k but my take home is $985 twice a month.

Nobody told me my paychecks would be delayed 2 weeks. Everybody in the office was surprised when I didn't get paid after 2 weeks... they all either forgot about that, or have been there since before that became the policy. I was expecting that first paycheck and ended up having to borrow $1100 from my parents for rent, which they won't get back until I get a job that doesn't cost me money.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:50 AM

BTW county PTO and sick time are as good as what Europeans get. 21 days PTO and 21 days sick per year.

Health insurance isn't great. Our payment is pretty high.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:18 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
BTW county PTO and sick time are as good as what Europeans get. 21 days PTO and 21 days sick per year.

Health insurance isn't great. Our payment is pretty high.
Not meaning to pry - what is the cost of your health insurance?

21 sick days a year? HOLY COW! Can you accumulate those over time?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
21 sick days - I believe the County sick time can also be used when employees take their kids to the doctor, or other such family health-related events.

When I worked in California, for most of my life, no free parking in San Francisco or Oakland! You pay for your commute, whether it's driving a car and parking, or taking the train+bus, or car pooling. There was free parking with many companies down on the SF Peninsula, but that's always a matter of the cost of space. Space is limited in San Francisco, as it is in Wailuku where the county buildings are here. It is not a fancy part of town, but because it's older all the space has been taken up by housing or commercial. The county would have to build a high rise parking structure to give free parking to all their employees, and I'm guessing I'd be voting against that when we have so much else to get done. Plus who would want that big thing blocking their view of Iao Valley? If you really wanted to, you could look into car pooling with someone else, or taking the bus, but it sounds like you aren't interested.

My advise on your travel - you don't have to get to the airport 1.5 hours early for an inter-island hop. The airlines advise it, but if you are just doing carry-on for a couple of days on another island, just get there about 40 minutes before. The longest line at security (I timed it) was only 4 minutes wait, and that stretched way down the hall. Then you just hop on the flight, 30 minutes max to land, and you don't have to wait for baggage, you can hop on a bus and get to your class. Sure you burn a couple of hours, but that's just grown-up working life. Remember any education is also considered a benefit to you, and your employer is willing to pay for the class & a couple of nights at the hotel. Try being self-employed, you pay for everything yourself, from parking to paperclips.

Wink, you are learning the kind of questions you will need to ask for the next place you go. Don't assume free parking or paid hotels, etc. Make sure to ask about expenses, first paycheck, benefits, travel required, etc.

Sounds like you have a slim margin when you moved over here, if waiting 14 days for a first paycheck put you behind enough to have you bouncing checks, dipping into your IRA, and borrowing money. You should maybe gather up a better margin before you move to another state and have a few more surprises there.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM

I would have had a much better margin if I ddn't have to spend $4000 on copays for a hernia surgery just before I came out here.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I've overdawn my bank account several times and had to rush to get my parents to lend me money to avoid more overdrafts. Wouldn't have happened if I got the paychecks a week earlier.

Personal Budgeting Tips

There was a thread a little while back about holding the checks two weeks. It's the reality of the situation and people need to budget accordingly.

//www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ui-county.html

Parking; unless you're employee of the month, management, handicapped etc... it's not going to happen in the real world.

Also; maybe a talk with someone about short term, long term goals in your life. It doesn't hurt to talk to a professional counselor/therapist and it's usually covered by health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui