Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:19 AM

6 posts, read 33,538 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

In very early discussions about a possible move to Lanai, HI. About 8 years ago we lived on Maui but moved back home for various reasons. We have missed Hawaii and the lifestyle in general. However, I know Lanai would be a BIG change from Maui. We also now have a 4 yr old. Just a few general questions. What would we expect it to be like on Lanai? It's completely gorgeous but would we be bored after awhile? How would my daughter, a little haole girl be treated in general? How is grocery shopping and just shopping in general? House prices or should we rent, healthcare, schools etc. SO many questions but any answers are greatly appreciated. My main concern would be the adjustment for my daughter.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 01:08 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,076,962 times
Hmm, I haven't been to Lanai since they built that hotel at Black Manele but unless there has been huge changes since then (I'm sure there have) I don't think shopping should be anything much to look forward to on Lanai.

Lanai will be a huge change from Maui and a gigantic change from the mainland. It might be best to rent a place for six months to a year while you decide if you would want to buy a house.

You have employment already lined up on Lanai? Otherwise, what motivates you to choose to live on Lanai?

Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,705,723 times
It would be so much easier to answer if you tell us what you know of Lanai and what vision you have of living there. I hear some call Lanai the Mayberry of Hawaii. Other than the big hotels that are suffering big time, there is not much to do. I visited several times and pretty much everythingt hat can be done will be done in a week. I understand Lanai wants to list boredom as a product of that island.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM

Yes, employment at one of the hotels would already be lined up. I never had the opportunity to visit Lanai while I was living in Hawaii. I did however visit Molokai for a weekend and it was nice but very very slow paced. I do not expect there would be alot of shopping options but I'm worried the selection of groceries would be very limited. I'm also worried about adequate healthcare for my daughter. Doctors, dentist etc. My other concern would be how my daughter would fit in at a school that would likely be mostly locals. Maui was wonderful but there were still comments made to us about being haole. What would internet connection be like on the island? How behind are they in comparison to Maui? I guess that would provide a good indication as I know what it was like to live on Maui and the general frustrations of being on an island. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:16 PM

820 posts, read 3,038,313 times
I can't give you an example from having lived there, only visiting. The grocery stores are VERY limited, and tend to carry few choices. Every ferry that comes over unloads supplies and people who went shopping on Maui.

I understand there are some folks, either neighbors or coworkers, who make Maui buying trips and bring stuff back for each other. For sure you'd have to either decide to stock your pantry with anything special, or make time to go to over. A ferry pass should be a part of what you consider your regular expenses, and maybe the employer provides one already? Negotiate that into the hire agreement.

Sorry can't help with internet. Try calling Oceanic Time Warner to see if they will provide speeds. Or call the hotel concierge, and see what services they provide, and where they get their service.

As to boredom, I'm guessing it all depends on how you like to live. At 4 years old, your daughter is probably a few years away from wanting to have lots of choices of where to go. She probably just wants to spend as much time as she can with you and her friends. It's the older kids and adults who want more places to go and shop and be amused or distracted.

It would have to be a pretty mean person to go after a 4 year old girl with rough treatment. I would think young men would get the worst of any comments and bullying, but not so much your daughter.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,705,723 times
based on your question, I strongly suggest you visit before committing to lanai.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:34 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,527,807 times
Moving to a place where you have never even visited isn't a very good idea.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 PM

Most of the medical facilities and shopping will most likely be on Maui. Think of Lanai as a much smaller and slower island than Molokai. Perhaps you could get a motorboat and go over to Maui for shopping?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Thanks for your help everyone! Unfortunately in some situations you can't visit a place before you move, it's just how this industry is. I'm trying to get a sense of home/apt/condo rentals. Where do I go online to search for a long term rental? What should I expect the cost and availability to be?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Does the hotel have any folks to help with relocating new workers? Someone to answer questions? I'm sure this is something they've had a lot of experience with since there is/was almost no local labor pool for them to work with when they built those hotels. Lanai just didn't have that many people living on it and I'm sure the population is still rather small.

Can you get an employee discount and stay at the hotel for a week while arranging a rental somewhere else? How about Google Earth of Lanai? That should give you a sense of the size and density of the location, Lanai isn't that large. You can ship your things to yourself via "General Delivery" to the local post office and pick them up when you get there.

Still, employment is employment these days and Lanai should be a restful place at least. Stock your pantry with weekly or bi-weekly shopping trips, take up gardening and fishing. The beaches are nice and there's a small harbor for boating. Kayaking could be fun. Crafts and hobbies are always a good thing, especially if there's a group already into quilting or knitting or some such. You should be able to request the library to bring in any book from the entire statewide system, they may be able to bring in DVD's, too. It will undoubtedly be different than how you are living now, but it could be a very good change if it is done right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui