Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 AM

75 posts, read 224,708 times

Advertisements

Living on Oahu, and am curious about living upcountry in Maui . . .

Does it get cold in Pukalani/Makawao? Housing is a lot cheaper; is that simply because it's further from the water? Is is a typical bedroom community, like Kaneohe where I live now?

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 PM

805 posts, read 1,505,520 times
Ok, let me try this again. My post disappeared..!

You get more square foot/amenities for less rent compared to the other places like Kahului, Kihei, and Lahaina. If it's as cheap as another area, it will not be a hole in the wall...

Pukalani feels like a suburb surrounding a golf course. The houses are kind of close together, sometimes only separated by a single wall. There are some streets there with a lot of pit bulls in kennels so when you try to take a walk, a lot of barking ensues. Other streets are quiet, clean, with manicured lawn.

Makawao feels more ranchy and casual. Fruit trees. More spread out than Pukalani, but a lot of the houses are a lot older and plantation-style compared to Pukalani.

It's overall more affordable, and you get more. But you make up for it by paying for gas.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,879,836 times
I live on the West Side, not Upcountry, but I don't think anything on Maui is much like anything on Oahu. Good friends live in Kaneohe, so I know what you mean, but Pukalani (kind of suburban feel, but still has a town life) is different from Makawao (an old-style "western" downtown with a main street lined with shops) is different from Kula (a mix of bigger and smaller houses, but lots of kamaa'ina, not just transplants) is different from Haiku (a little suburban, but artsy/farmy with only a strip center for gathering). None of these has a large grocery like Safeway or Foodland, but each has a local supermarket and some other retail and restaurant options.

Definitely cooler, but maybe only "cold" at Kula elevation. We were up there last week, 67 degrees at 9:30AM. Very comfortable to me, but maybe cold to people who've been here forever.

Best of luck.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 AM

68 posts, read 205,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
None of these has a large grocery like Safeway or Foodland, but each has a local supermarket and some other retail and restaurant options.
Pukalani has a Foodland..........

Old 07-07-2011, 03:52 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,218,662 times
Pukalani also has a brand new LONGS. I've seen it with my own 4 eyes!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,879,836 times
Default Thanks for the Corrections

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird2020 View Post
Pukalani has a Foodland..........
Sorry, "orangebird 2020" and "Jolliefille!" I knew about the Superette, but not the Foodland. And I forgot about the new Long's! I saw it, too, when we were up there. I'm a big fan of Kula Ace, too. Still IMHO, neither is a traditional town, so to speak, more of a suburb with some retail.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:59 PM

75 posts, read 224,708 times
Thanks for the great responses! Just the info I was looking for.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 PM

369 posts, read 772,117 times
Upcountry is wonderful. Pukalani, and especially Kula can get Very Cold. Pukalani is a nice area like other people said with a more suburuban feel. Pukalani is more centralized and has a small town center, community pool, etc. Makawao is an older community and like people said more ranchy, I was raised in Paia, but spent lots of time in Makawao and Pukalani. If you have any specific questions about the area don't hesitate to ask.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,029 times
My wife and I are looking forward to moving to upcountry in a few years. We love it there and feel drawn by the spirituality, kindness of all people on Maui and of course Haleakala. A couple questions:
1) In looking on Zillow for houses, I've only found one house so far that states you must be a certain percent native Hawaiian to be able to purchase the house. How true is that of all of upcountry?
2) How are non-native neighbors received in upcountry?
3) What types of things must one consider when moving to upcountry from mainland (Connecticut)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui